A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Radio 2



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 6th 17, 08:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,367
Default Radio 2

OK not tv, but they do have it on freeview.
Note that they have gotten rid of After Midnight real live programming and
seem to be using a kind of Jukebox software to present what they call radio
2 playlists, withe plugs and comments obviously recorded and slipped into
the right places by software.
OK they run old versions of popular programs from the previous week as
well, but is this just a cost cutting thing?
You can hear this kind of stuff on other stations on DAB and Freeview. it
seems to me that they are undervaluing the people who work nights and want
something live to listen to.
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!


  #2  
Old February 6th 17, 08:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,171
Default Radio 2

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 08:20:03 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

OK not tv, but they do have it on freeview.
Note that they have gotten rid of After Midnight real live programming and
seem to be using a kind of Jukebox software to present what they call radio
2 playlists, withe plugs and comments obviously recorded and slipped into
the right places by software.
OK they run old versions of popular programs from the previous week as
well, but is this just a cost cutting thing?
You can hear this kind of stuff on other stations on DAB and Freeview. it
seems to me that they are undervaluing the people who work nights and want
something live to listen to.
Brian


I believe this was discussed fully on 'Feedback' but have still to
listen. From what I gather, there are significant budget cuts and an
'automated' service was considered preferable to ending 24 hour
broadcasting. I think he also said that the audience increased when
they started the 3 am repeat. You should listen.
  #5  
Old February 6th 17, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,906
Default Radio 2

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 16:13:48 +0100, Martin wrote:

If you had ever done a labouring job requiring little brain power, you would
know that only the music keeps people awake in the middle of the night.


I've spent my working life as a steelworker, merchant seaman, soldier,
and for the last 25 years running a taxi company.
All of these involved shift work and/or being on call 24hrs a day
Falling asleep on the job means your employer will supply a P45 not a
radio to amuse you.


You never spent your days doing a totally moronic job like making a dent in a
tin lid with a press several times day.


A long time ago as a student I once did a labouring job at a steel
rolling mill, where we had to use 3ft long tongs to manhandle RSJs
still glowing cherry red from the rollers. We had to wear 2 inch thick
wooden clogs so we could walk about on these things. We didn't require
any threats from our employers to take extreme care not to fall asleep
doing that. I don't recall the provision of any music, but if there
was any we wouldn't have heard it anyway above the din.

Rod.
  #6  
Old February 6th 17, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,906
Default Radio 2

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 18:32:08 +0100, Martin wrote:

If you had ever done a labouring job requiring little brain power, you would
know that only the music keeps people awake in the middle of the night.


I've spent my working life as a steelworker, merchant seaman, soldier,
and for the last 25 years running a taxi company.
All of these involved shift work and/or being on call 24hrs a day
Falling asleep on the job means your employer will supply a P45 not a
radio to amuse you.

You never spent your days doing a totally moronic job like making a dent in a
tin lid with a press several times day.


A long time ago as a student I once did a labouring job at a steel
rolling mill, where we had to use 3ft long tongs to manhandle RSJs
still glowing cherry red from the rollers. We had to wear 2 inch thick
wooden clogs so we could walk about on these things. We didn't require
any threats from our employers to take extreme care not to fall asleep
doing that. I don't recall the provision of any music, but if there
was any we wouldn't have heard it anyway above the din.


I worked in a steel works too. You had one of the worst jobs.

When I was student I worked in a tin box factory, shoveled sand in a waterworks
and sorted mail and parcels at Xmas. Music provided in the GPO made the sorting
shifts go faster. Music While You Work was provided because it was thought to
help productivity.
The music in the tin box factory was only useful to check at the end of a shift
when the machinery stopped that your hearing wasn't totally destroyed. The
regulars claimed they could hear the music, whilst working, but most of them
were near certifiable; with hindsight I think caused by lead poisoning from
unventilated open solder baths.


I've often thought that the main purpose of a student job such as
described above was to give you a really strong incentive to be a good
student in the hope of acquiring enough qualifications to ensure that
the job will only be a student job and not what you end up doing for
the rest of your life.

I'm glad I did it, but even more glad I'm not still doing it.

Rod.
  #7  
Old February 6th 17, 05:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,458
Default Radio 2

On 06/02/2017 12:54, Martin wrote:

If I were an employer I should want the buggers to pay attention to the
job, not amuse themselves at my expense.


If you had ever done a labouring job requiring little brain power, you would
know that only the music keeps people awake in the middle of the night.



Some jobs are done better with the radio on. And towards the end of the
shift, play a few marches to get people livened up!

Bill
  #8  
Old February 6th 17, 05:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,458
Default Radio 2

On 06/02/2017 17:32, Martin wrote:

When I was student I worked in a tin box factory, shoveled sand in a waterworks
and sorted mail and parcels at Xmas. Music provided in the GPO made the sorting
shifts go faster. Music While You Work was provided because it was thought to
help productivity.


https://youtu.be/xLhUK23coA8

Memories!

Bill

  #9  
Old February 6th 17, 11:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 228
Default Radio 2

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 13:48:20 -0000, UnsteadyKen
wrote:

In article ,
says...
If you had ever done a labouring job requiring little brain power, you would
know that only the music keeps people awake in the middle of the night.


I've spent my working life as a steelworker, merchant seaman,


snip

Cool. Dad did 12 years on Shell Tankers (~1944-). Who you with Ken
(OOI)?

He got his captains ticket but only ever served up to 1st mate (before
I came along and he came ashore (sorry Dad)). ;-)

Cheers, T i m




 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.