Humax overheating

Old February 17th 17, 11:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Humax overheating

This evening, my running HDR Fox T2 would not respond to any controls,
not even the button on the front. I unplugged it, and powered it up
again, and it works.
Thanks to the Customised Firmware, I was able to see that it was
overheating, so I put a small fan on, pointing at it, and the
reported temp. inside came down from 55 deg. to 42 deg. Ok, that's fine
for tonight. Check one up for the CF; without it, I would have had no
indication what the cause of the problem was.

Tomorrow's job is clearly to open it up and clean the interior, as I am
assuming that it's plugged up with dust and cat fur. It has been in
exactly the same place for a couple of years, so this is new, and it's
not even spring yet, let alone summer.

Is opening it up as simple as I hope? If it's like a DVD player, it
will be a few Phillips screws, and the inside will be laid bare. Is it
really that simple, and are there any other things to look for while
it's opened up? It's well out of warranty.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 12:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article , lid
says...

This evening, my running HDR Fox T2 would not respond to any controls,
not even the button on the front. I unplugged it, and powered it up
again, and it works.
Thanks to the Customised Firmware, I was able to see that it was
overheating, so I put a small fan on, pointing at it, and the
reported temp. inside came down from 55 deg. to 42 deg. Ok, that's fine
for tonight. Check one up for the CF; without it, I would have had no
indication what the cause of the problem was.

Tomorrow's job is clearly to open it up and clean the interior, as I am
assuming that it's plugged up with dust and cat fur. It has been in
exactly the same place for a couple of years, so this is new, and it's
not even spring yet, let alone summer.

Is opening it up as simple as I hope?

Yep - just some screws, three I think at the back and the cover sides
off.

If it's like a DVD player, it
will be a few Phillips screws, and the inside will be laid bare. Is it
really that simple, and are there any other things to look for while
it's opened up? It's well out of warranty.

When I changed the drive in mine I found a youtube video to follow -
worth it because the fan connector is a tricky sucker and you have to
disconnect that to change the drive.

I mention it, just in case you need to change the fan.

Meanwhile, are you sure about the overheating because all these machines
tend to run hot which is why there is a software fan package. I run mine
at 42%, permanently, as it used to go well above the 55 deg C threshold
suggested on the SMART page.

Also, although I have no experience of this on a Humax, computers tend
to be shut down by the firmware when they overheat - not just left to
crash.

But anyway, my room is quite cool at the moment and I am just watching a
recording, the Humax doing nothing else, and it is currently sitting at
39 deg C.

Old February 18th 17, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

That temperature seems a little low for it to complain. I bet there is
something else going on or perhaps a chip with no temp sensor is getting
even hotter.

I have computer chips that run hotter than that when very busy.

news

Old February 18th 17, 09:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 09:25:54 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

That temperature seems a little low for it to complain. I bet there
is something else going on or perhaps a chip with no temp sensor is
getting even hotter.

I have computer chips that run hotter than that when very busy.
Brian

Maybe, but that is what the Diagnostic page showed, in bright red, as
'Failing Now', so that's what I took as the problem. It's labelled
'Airflow Temp', so may not represent an actual chip temperature, which
might be higher.

Overnight, with no external fan, it's now at 31 deg. C.

The other puzzle is that there is an indicator on the front panel which
shows, in a tiny font, 'FULL', but the 1TB HDD is only ~70% full. I
can't say whether this is new or not, I never usually look that closely
at the front panel, I always use the remote control for everything.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 09:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 18/02/2017 10:09, Davey wrote:

The other puzzle is that there is an indicator on the front panel which
shows, in a tiny font, 'FULL', but the 1TB HDD is only ~70% full. I
can't say whether this is new or not, I never usually look that closely
at the front panel, I always use the remote control for everything.

I think that means that the output is in 'full' HD. The HDD indicator is
a rectangle with up to four dots in it at the RHS of the display.

--
Max Demian
Old February 18th 17, 10:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 10:41:18 +0000
Max Demian wrote:

On 18/02/2017 10:09, Davey wrote:

The other puzzle is that there is an indicator on the front panel
which shows, in a tiny font, 'FULL', but the 1TB HDD is only ~70%
full. I can't say whether this is new or not, I never usually look
that closely at the front panel, I always use the remote control
for everything.

I think that means that the output is in 'full' HD. The HDD indicator
is a rectangle with up to four dots in it at the RHS of the display.

I had wondered if it was something to do with the display, so that
makes sense. Somewhere, I must have the manual...

I see the HDD level every time I go into Watch mode, so I know how much
of it is used. I'll look for the other display.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 01:47:44 -0000
Yellow wrote:

In article , lid
says...

[...]

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 00:56:01 +0000
Davey wrote:

[...]

Before doing this, I installed the firmware package for the fan
control, and set it at 24% minimum speed.

Opening it up was simply a matter of, indeed, undoing three screws,
with my convenient Swiss Army Knife. But amazingly, the interior is
absolutely spotless, no dust, no cat fur, nada, as far as I can see.

So I plugged the unit into a convenient power source, and waited for the
fan to run. It did not. Blowing at it makes it rotate a little, and
then return. I will leave it for a while, in case it needs some time
before starting, but maybe I need to install a new fan. Is there a good
known source, and specification? I somehow doubt that Humax will be
interested now. I would like to run it with the external fan until I
have a new fan available, before dismantling it, unless it just
entails undoing four screw and lifting the HDD casing away? Maybe Maplin
do a suitable fan? I looked for youtube videos, but only found lots of
reviews and guides to update HDDs etc.

All help most welcome.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 01:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

wrote:

[...]

I had a quick look at the Maplin website. This was the only one that
seemed to have 3 wires but I can't say if the connector is correct.
http://tinyurl.com/ztvngbn
It also doesn't say if the speed is variable. If you want to contact
Maplins, they might know.

I haven't got a Fox-T2 to look at, so I did a hunt for parts for one,
and found this: http://tinyurl.com/zpcq4r7

That shows a hard drive cradle with a fan attached. There are no
dimensions, but it did give me a view of the fan model number AUB0512LB.
I am slightly suspicious of the information because although the seller
is advertising it for Humax HDR-Fox T2 his write-up admits it came from
a Humax DTR-D1000 and it says it will probably fit other models.

I am assuming he is correct.

So I hunted for a AUB0512LB and found this one:
http://tinyurl.com/havx87e

Whether you want to take a gamble on it is up to you. I have gone as
far as I can from a theoretical point of view.