Missing channels?

Old February 19th 17, 09:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

Default Missing channels?

I'm in Derry, NI and wondering why I don't get CH4 HD and some other
channels. According to
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings
I should be getting all channels in NI. The "missing" ones are listed as
from Mux COM7 HD which doesn't appear in the list for the Limavady
transmitter I'm using, here's what's the
Limavady
BBC A D3&4 BBC B HD SDN ARQ A ARQ B
This is a main, not relay, transmitter and I'm fairly certain the "missing"
channels like CH4 HD, Vintage TV and Aljazeera were there there before they
started messing about at the analogue switch off.
Have I lost these extra channels permanently?

Kenny Cargill

Old February 20th 17, 06:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Kenny" wrote in message
om...
I'm in Derry, NI and wondering why I don't get CH4 HD and some other
channels. According to
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings
I should be getting all channels in NI. The "missing" ones are
listed as from Mux COM7 HD which doesn't appear in the list for the
Limavady transmitter I'm using, here's what's the
Limavady
BBC A D3&4 BBC B HD SDN ARQ A ARQ B
This is a main, not relay, transmitter and I'm fairly certain the
"missing" channels like CH4 HD, Vintage TV and Aljazeera were there
there before they started messing about at the analogue switch off.
Have I lost these extra channels permanently?

Kenny Cargill

Never say never, but clearly Limavady is not one of the main sites
that has the extended channel set, Divis is the only site carrying
them in Northern Ireland. Unfortunately it doesn't look as though
there are any main stations in Scotland that could help either.
Ultimately at present your only option for 4HD is Freesat.

However opinion on this newsgroup is that is well less than a decade
the whole of the UK will move to DVB-T2 which is currently used for
HD, and that, as it is a more efficient modulation technique, could
mean you will get the additional channels.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 20th 17, 09:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message news
And of course all older boxes unable to get the hd ones now will end up as
door stops.

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"Kenny" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks for the replies, I suspected that I wouldn't get these channels now
but don't understand why I did before the big switch off? Fairly new Sony
Android TV, it has a satellite tuner but not Freesat. It tunes all the
local variations of all the channels and it's a real hassle trying to sort
them into a logical order. I have done it before but if there's an update
on the TV you have to start from scratch again. I've downloaded the Sony
Sideview apk and the App Freesat apk, will post back when I've tried them

Old February 20th 17, 09:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 07:49:43 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"Kenny" wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
[...]

I was wondering about that.

I am completely bemused now about this 'centre gap' stuff and whether
COM7 (is it still called that?) will continue. Could this mean that
when 700 MHz clearance takes place there will be no more BBC Four HD
or BBC News HD?

Also, when you say UK will move to DVB-T2 does this mean HD quality or
will there be SD quality for the likes of BBC Four instead?

PS If Scotland has another referendum and votes for independence, is
there any guarantee that BBC terrestrial channels will continue? (I
assume satellite reception will be guaranteed as it would be
impossible to focus the beams so as to exclude Scotland?)
Old February 20th 17, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:18:53 -0000
"Kenny" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message news
And of course all older boxes unable to get the hd ones now will end
up as door stops.
Brian

Kenny,

Your Windows Live Mail has pushed everything to which you replied into
the signature part of your message. I thought at first that you had
replied, but had not added anything, until I happened to scroll down to
the bottom of the message. The result is most confusing.

--
Davey.
Old February 20th 17, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 07:49:43 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"Kenny" wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
[...]

The DigitalUK website coverage checker gives this list of channels
available at an address in Main Street, Limavady, from the Limavady
transmitter. It includes CH4 HD:
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragec...ert4i9q5hvn9i3

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old February 20th 17, 01:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 07:49:43 -0000, "Woody"

wrote:

"Kenny" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...
[...]

Read it again Peter, he lives in Derry and Limavady is his serving Tx.
Only Divis transmits Com7/8 and the maps indicate that on the high
ground SE of Derry it should be available but not in the city.

Old February 20th 17, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Scott" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 07:49:43 -0000, "Woody"

wrote:

"Kenny" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...
[...]

DVB and DVB-T2 are just different forms of carrier signal encoding and
either can carry SD or HD which are effectively the modulation. France
recently changed overnight to DVB-T2 but there are still many (most?)
stations in SD. Which stations are transmitted in SD and which in HD
is the decision of the broadcaster baring in mind the likely
difference in access charges.

As for whether, in the event of a vote for independence, Scotland will
continue to use 'foreign' TV depends I would have thought on the whim
of that dreadful woman (who shall remain nameless on this page.) Most
of the RoI watches UK TV either by Freeview if near the east coast or
the NI border, or otherwise by Freesat which has good coverage.

Old February 20th 17, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
bilou[_2_]

"Woody" wrote in message
news France
recently changed overnight to DVB-T2 but there are still many (most?)
stations in SD.

That's not true
We still only use DVBT but switched to MPEG4 with
most of the programs in HD.