Please recommend a DTT PVR

Old March 14th 17, 12:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
fred[_3_]

Default Please recommend a DTT PVR

My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) -
DTT only.
Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ 130.
Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount.
Thanks.
Old March 14th 17, 12:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 14/03/2017 13:02, fred wrote:
My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) -
DTT only.
Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ 130.
Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount.
Thanks.

We're all ageing. Your mum is probably aged.

Old March 14th 17, 01:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:44:43 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 14/03/2017 13:02, fred wrote:
My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) -
DTT only.
Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ 130.
Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount.
Thanks.

We're all ageing. Your mum is probably aged.

Bill

Aged is such an odd and unnecessary word. It's a euphemism for
decrepit. There are quite a few others, elderly, senior citizens,
pensioners, concessions, veterans, (x)generians.
Must be loads more.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old March 14th 17, 02:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 14/03/2017 13:02, fred wrote:
My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) -
DTT only.
Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ 130.
Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount.
Thanks.

Unfortunately some of the newer ones are rather user unfriendly - I
bought a Samsung and disliked it sufficiently to put it to one side and
replace it with a second hand Humax PVR9300T which has a T2 tuner and is
fairly easy to set up and operate.

Mine was bought from ebay as a refurbished unit and has been as good as
gold. You could try there as a starting point. Typically they go for
something between 20 to 60 which is pretty cheap for a PVR.

Jim

PS - If you are quick, there is one with an auction ending in at 16:15
today:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUMAX-PVR-...AOSwTM5Yvtv Q
or http://tinyurl.com/jxs45pu

There are several others with a reasonable "Buy it now" price.

Old March 14th 17, 02:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 14/03/2017 14:41, Graham. wrote:

Aged is such an odd and unnecessary word.

No it's a good and useful word.

It's a euphemism for
decrepit. There are quite a few others, elderly, senior citizens,
pensioners, concessions, veterans, (x)generians.
Must be loads more.

You can't say that every word that someone has used as a euphemism is
valueless. Others might use the word properly.

Old March 14th 17, 02:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

On 14/03/2017 13:02, fred wrote:
My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) -
DTT only.
Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ 130.
Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount.
Thanks.

We're all ageing. Your mum is probably aged.

Bill

Aged is such an odd and unnecessary word. It's a euphemism for
decrepit. There are quite a few others, elderly, senior citizens,
pensioners, concessions, veterans, (x)generians.
Must be loads more.

silver surfers

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old March 14th 17, 02:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

On 14/03/2017 13:02, fred wrote:
My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) -
DTT only.
Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ 130.
Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount.
Thanks.

We're all ageing. Your mum is probably aged.

Bill

Aged is such an odd and unnecessary word. It's a euphemism for
decrepit. There are quite a few others, elderly, senior citizens,
pensioners, concessions, veterans, (x)generians.
Must be loads more.

Oi! I object! I am elderly, a senior citizen, a pensioner, a
septuagenarian and might be described as aged, but I'm far from
decrepit! :-)

and we feel insulted by the pictogram road sign

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old March 14th 17, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
fred[_3_]

wrote:

On 14/03/2017 13:02, fred wrote:
My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) -
DTT only.
Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ 130.
Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount.
Thanks.

We're all ageing. Your mum is probably aged.

Bill

Thanks for your really helpful response. I'll rush down the store or
get on Amazon and buy one right away.
BTW, please give us some more of those wonderful stories about your
grandkids or the mrs. We all "love" them.

Old March 14th 17, 05:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 14/03/2017 13:02, fred wrote:
[...]

I was given a 9150 PVR which is tucked away in the storeroom. Why?
Because it had great difficulty with the EPG which was either not
there, there only on some channels but incomplete, or took several
days to collect as much of it as it seemed to want to collect but even
then was often still incomplete. I recommended it to an elderly lady,
we got one from Humax Direct, and it had the same problem as mine did
so we sent it back.

I would suggest looking around for a Humax HDR FoxT-2 PVR which works
well and is surprisingly easy to drive - if my wife can do it without
instruction then anyone can!!

Always look at Humax Direct for Manager's Specials as they do offer
some real bargains.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 14th 17, 05:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:34:04 -0000
"Woody" wrote:

I would suggest looking around for a Humax HDR FoxT-2 PVR which works
well and is surprisingly easy to drive

Most definitely seconded.

--
Davey.