Smart talk replacement remote controls

Old March 23rd 17, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Smart talk replacement remote controls

Does anyone know if its possible to get these?
I ask as I know in the past on here folk have suggested that people get a
remote that can be taught what to do. Sadly for a blind person they get
used to the buttons shapes and positions. These remotes are the weak link
in this basic device since the bits of debris from the rubber buttons get
into the wells for the contacts and stop them contacting after a while. Yes
they can be dismantled and cleaned and even bits of conductive 'stuff' put
into each button but gradually much builds up again and buttons stop. They
have got to last till 2020 when I feel they will finally be made obsolete by
all sd being sent via dvb2 multiplexes.
Sadly there seems to be no talking box for hd, and thus blind people will
have to fork out a fortune for a talking smart tv they won't need.

Old March 23rd 17, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

they can be dismantled and cleaned and even bits of conductive 'stuff' put
into each button

Is there any generic conductive rubbery stuff that's available for
repairing these buttons?

Old March 24th 17, 07:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Good question. The last time I searched there was some, but it was a bit of
a surgeons job to cut them to shape, insert them after cleaning the debris
and then reassembling them. Not something I can do myself as merely getting
the apart is two screws and a lot of plastic clips that can break off.
A word of warning also if one wishes to preserve the lighting up button
for on off then there needs to be some hole in the pad.

Old March 24th 17, 07:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Incidentally more recently with all the extra stations it seems that viewing
the whole program guide in spoken word is not possible and they should have
also put on the box a restart button as its always locking up and has to be
powered off then on, at which point it will populate the program guide
again for a few days. Its other malfuntion is that ad stops and the channel
won't change, on a reboot the ad has to be switched back on. I'm told that
the poor thing is simply struggling on memory and that is the underlying
issue. I'd imagine anyone making one now would not have this problem. Its
just getting somebody to write software for more recent boxes.

news