A couple of quick Qs about freesat...

Old March 25th 17, 02:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Default A couple of quick Qs about freesat...

My sister has moved into a rented house in the middle of nowhere with
b*gger all terrestrial reception but it does have a dish with a double
cable.

I presume this means that she can use a freesat box or PVR with twin
tuners? (I know nothing about sat).

She may only be in this property for a few months so may not want to invest
too much in a freesat pvr. Can anyone recommend a decent budget brand or
advise of any ones to avoid?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old March 25th 17, 03:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 25/03/2017 14:31, Tim+ wrote:
My sister has moved into a rented house in the middle of nowhere with
b*gger all terrestrial reception but it does have a dish with a double
cable.

I presume this means that she can use a freesat box or PVR with twin
tuners? (I know nothing about sat).

Yes she can.

She may only be in this property for a few months so may not want to invest
too much in a freesat pvr. Can anyone recommend a decent budget brand or
advise of any ones to avoid?

You might find a few standard definition ones at very low prices if you
hunt around.
European non-Freesat receivers and PVRs (SD and HD) will work but don't
have the programme guide and the channels will be in a funny order.
If she only wants an SD receiver (no PVR) I have a few new boxed ones
that she could have for next to nowt.

Old March 25th 17, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 25/03/2017 14:31, Tim+ wrote:
My sister has moved into a rented house in the middle of nowhere with
b*gger all terrestrial reception but it does have a dish with a double
cable.

I presume this means that she can use a freesat box or PVR with twin
tuners? (I know nothing about sat).

She may only be in this property for a few months so may not want to invest
too much in a freesat pvr. Can anyone recommend a decent budget brand or
advise of any ones to avoid?

Tim

For PVRs see https://forums.digitalspy.com/catego...esat-recorders

Make sure that any one you get supports DVB-S2.

Some TVs do come with a Satellite Tuner.

--
Michael Chare
Old March 26th 17, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 25 March 2017 17:15:21 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
On 25/03/2017 14:31, Tim+ wrote:
My sister has moved into a rented house in the middle of nowhere with
b*gger all terrestrial reception but it does have a dish with a double
cable.

I presume this means that she can use a freesat box or PVR with twin
tuners? (I know nothing about sat).

She may only be in this property for a few months so may not want to invest
too much in a freesat pvr. Can anyone recommend a decent budget brand or
advise of any ones to avoid?

Tim

For PVRs see https://forums.digitalspy.com/catego...esat-recorders

Make sure that any one you get supports DVB-S2.

Some TVs do come with a Satellite Tuner.

and even more weirdly on some it is / was undocumented. A neighbours LG 42UB580V actually had a mutli satellite DVB-S2 tuner, not described in the English manual at all.

Look for an unexpected F-Connector next to the coaxial aerial socket.

--
Michael Chare

Old March 26th 17, 02:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 25/03/2017 14:31, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I bought a LG TV a couple of years ago. It had a F connector that
wasn't mentioned in the manual. When I connected it to my dish it tuned
in all the freesat channels.
I still use Freeview through the normal aerial connector though.

Old March 31st 17, 04:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

On 25/03/2017 14:31, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Jim
I have a Sony 55" bought about 6 months ago, it has a satellite tuner but
it's not Freesat. It will tune all available channels with all the regional
variations etc. and it's time consuming sorting them into some sort of
order. Found a program called Sony Editor he
https://www.sony.de/electronics/supp...loads/Z0002452 which helps a
bit, it can be installed in German or English. It's a version of another
commercial program but I can't remember the name.

Kenny

Old March 31st 17, 05:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

om...

On 25/03/2017 14:31, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Meant to add that I've had for some years a Ross HRD-6110U which came with
dish and fixings. Again it's not Freesat but tunes all the channels like
the Sony, can record to USB and it was cheap. The dish rusted and was
replaced but the box is still going strong in a bedroom.

Old April 2nd 17, 12:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 25/03/2017 14:31, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I recently bought a Samsung UHD TV. The web spec said it did not have a
Satellite tuner, I rang them and they confirmed this, but when it
arrived there was the F-connector and it works.

I should say that I bought the model with the smallest screen. I think
the larger screen models were showing as having DVB-S2

--
Michael Chare

---

Old April 2nd 17, 11:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On 25/03/2017 14:31, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

The way to be fairly sure before purchase is two fold: -

1. Look up the same model on their German web site (use the translator if necessary). This will show whether there is a DVB-S2 tuner.

2. Visually inspect the set in the shop or even try it (Richer Sounds promised to let me do this).

Better LG and Samsung models tend to have undocumented DVB-S2 tuners.

--
Michael Chare

---