nocturnal signal problem

Old April 1st 17, 10:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Default nocturnal signal problem

A local lady is having an odd problem with her TVs at night. Here are her
two recent messages to a neighbourhood network group.

1) Hi everyone , If anyone has had similar problems with their tv can you
advise how it was rectified. An expert has looked at our equipment which
feeds 9 flats and the cause could be two different equipment faults one
being very expensive.

I have also heard that the new G4 signal can cause a similar problem but
this I believe can be rectified by fitting a filter. Comments by anyone
with similar experiences would be great.

2) Hi I have had problems for the last year with no signal on all freeview
channels during the night. It only happens to my bedroom and other bedroom
TVs- it's really weird as it comes back on at around 5.45am - it goes off
around 1am - I have Sky tv in lounge so that's not a problem but where I
have freeview in bedrooms no signal shows up. I got a filter but it hasn't
worked and haven't done anything else but have always wondered why it is
happening. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old April 1st 17, 11:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
[...]

Aerial distribution amplifier on a timer to save electricity? Like Surrey
backstreet lights now off between midnight and 5am.
--
Dave W

Old April 1st 17, 11:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 01/04/2017 23:05, Dave W wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
news
[...]

Signal daisy chained through a PVR/STB/TV that automatically goes into a
deep standby at 1am (possibly user programmed) and wakes up early next
morning to refresh the EPG?

Old April 2nd 17, 02:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 01/04/2017 22:14, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

There is likely to be inaccurate fault reporting here.

On arrival on site and after a few moments' inspection and testing it is
normally found in cases like this that the fault condition bears no
relationship to the reported symptoms.

For this reason, speculation is pointless.

Old April 2nd 17, 02:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 01/04/2017 23:05, Dave W wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
news
[...]

It would be off during the day.

Old April 2nd 17, 06:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Dave W wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
[...]

I did wonder about this by why didn't the problem always exist then?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old April 2nd 17, 06:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Bill Wright wrote:

There is likely to be inaccurate fault reporting here.

On arrival on site and after a few moments' inspection and testing it is
normally found in cases like this that the fault condition bears no
relationship to the reported symptoms.

For this reason, speculation is pointless.

Bill

You could well be right but I think possibly more accurate to say
"speculation is likely to be pointless".

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old April 2nd 17, 07:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Tim+ wrote:

Dave W wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

no signal on all freeview channels during the night.

Surrey backstreet lights now off between midnight and 5am.

I did wonder about this by why didn't the problem always exist then?

Maybe the power to the masthead amp is 'borrowed' from a nearby
lamp-post :-)

Old April 2nd 17, 09:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 01/04/2017 22:14, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

One would need to know the location and transmitter details to determine
whether it could be a 4G problem. If it were caused by 4G, wouldn't the
filter need to be in the direct feed from the aerial *before* any
distribution amplifiers?

Even so, not sure that would explain why it only happens at night.
--
Cheers,
Roger

---