Subtitle Disaster

« Dr Who | why 12V? »

Old April 3rd 17, 11:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Subtitle Disaster

I know that programme subtitles are not an exact science, but the
rendition on the Beeb's programme this evening about the photographer
Olive Edis reached a new low. They spent as much time correcting
themselves as displaying the wrong words, and there was no excuse for
being live, it was a prerecorded assemble programme.

A letter of complaint is to be sent. We pay for this with our license
fee, they could at least get this right.

--
Davey.
Old April 4th 17, 08:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Like with AD you will probably find nobody actually noticed or even viewed
it before it went out. I do know that there were numerous complaints about
one Dr Who episode where the AD was chopped off all the way through, even on
the I player feed a few years ago. Had somebody actually listened to it it
might not have been allowed to go out like that.

Nobody cares any more, sadly.

news

Old April 4th 17, 08:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Tuesday, 4 April 2017 00:31:53 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
I know that programme subtitles are not an exact science,

If they used proper stenographers / palantypists it's pretty exact.

Owain
Old April 4th 17, 08:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 09:11:30 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Like with AD you will probably find nobody actually noticed or even viewed
it before it went out. I do know that there were numerous complaints about
one Dr Who episode where the AD was chopped off all the way through, even on
the I player feed a few years ago. Had somebody actually listened to it it
might not have been allowed to go out like that.

Nobody cares any more, sadly.

The viewers still do :-)

Subtitle mistakes in the means are never corrected after the first transmission
of a news report.

A bit like typos in Usenet... ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old April 4th 17, 10:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Davey" wrote in message
news
I know that programme subtitles are not an exact science, but the
rendition on the Beeb's programme this evening about the photographer
Olive Edis reached a new low. They spent as much time correcting
themselves as displaying the wrong words, and there was no excuse for
being live, it was a prerecorded assemble programme.

the code of practice should ban "live" subtitling for non-live programs

tim

Old April 4th 17, 10:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 11:24:30 +0100
"tim..." wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
news
I know that programme subtitles are not an exact science, but the
rendition on the Beeb's programme this evening about the
photographer Olive Edis reached a new low. They spent as much time
correcting themselves as displaying the wrong words, and there was
no excuse for being live, it was a prerecorded assemble programme.

the code of practice should ban "live" subtitling for non-live
programs

tim

If only!

I've sent my complaint, I'll report any response. I won't hold my
breath, though.

--
Davey.
Old April 4th 17, 11:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes but we are not being paid to post to Usenet, one might expect some
degree of professionalism for ones money , don't you think.
In a way its like all the legislation out there for disabled peoples
protection which is also ignored by many companies and individuals as as I
say it is not seen as important enough to actually get it right.
I for example know that most employers guard against getting any blind
applicants by demanding a clean driving license be a pre requisite for
applications. No driving in the job but they like to deduce how people
behave from many things like facebook etc and driving habits.

"Tim+" wrote in message
news

Old April 4th 17, 12:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 4 April 2017 00:31:53 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
I know that programme subtitles are not an exact science,

If they used proper stenographers / palantypists it's pretty exact.

Most of the subtitling is done by voice recognition with a typist
sitting watching it to make any necessary corrections.

I remember CiN in the early days of it when on the Look North opt-out
Harry Gration said 'lets go over to Tanya in Sheffield.' Tanya came up
on screen as Tiny-air.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 4th 17, 05:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 04/04/17 12:52, Martin wrote:

I suggest you don't watch "Un Chien Andalou" on BBC4 tonight...

--

Jeff

They haven't just returned from hospital with watering eyes after having
something injected into one eye, whilst fully conscious.