Smart tvs dumb

Old April 5th 17, 08:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Smart tvs dumb

You know this term of smart tv does seem to be a strange one. In most cases
they are not smart, indeed many are almost impossible to work by ordinary
people who do not have a 7 year old child around.
I was talking to a friend of mine who reckoned her cheapo Sainsburies tv
basic freeview with hd tv, was far easier to use than the Samsung one she
used to have, as she never could figure out the so called smart stuff.
I do wonder thinking about this, if we are not building thigs to inflate
the egos of the designers. Its a bit like the kings new clothes. Its cool to
have all the extra stuff but how many people actually use them?

Old April 5th 17, 11:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 08:56:33 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

You know this term of smart tv does seem to be a strange one. In most
cases they are not smart, indeed many are almost impossible to work
by ordinary people who do not have a 7 year old child around.
I was talking to a friend of mine who reckoned her cheapo
Sainsburies tv basic freeview with hd tv, was far easier to use than
the Samsung one she used to have, as she never could figure out the
so called smart stuff. I do wonder thinking about this, if we are not
building thigs to inflate the egos of the designers. Its a bit like
the kings new clothes. Its cool to have all the extra stuff but how
many people actually use them? Brian

I am in total agreement with you. Just because we can do something,
doesn't mean we need to do it.

--
Davey.
Old April 5th 17, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 05/04/2017 12:02, Huge wrote:

We've had out Samsung "SMART" TV for nearly a year and I'm finally
learning how to work it. The UI is utterly hateful, there's no manual
(the manual is built into the TV. WTF? And the one I downloaded from the
Samsung web site has no page numbers or index. WTFF???), it crashed all
the time when we first got it (a service call under warranty has fixed
that), the bluetooth connection to the sound bar dropped out all the time
(an HDMI cable fixed that) and the sound bar obscures the infra-red port
for the remote my wife prefers. I loathe the damn thing and wish we'd
never bought it. I shall certainly never buy anything made by Samsung
ever again.

In its defence, the picture quality is superb.

I bought a Samsung PVR.

Its menu system was nowhere near intuitive.
Its Series Record feature lost track of the series before it got to the
end of it, meaning that I had to check before every episode that it had
identified it.
The RF loop-through wasn't amplified, so I had to insert another box
with proper amplification immediately after it to get a decent
unpixillated TV picture on all channels.

I eventually took it off the aerial and replaced it with a Humax box.
I will gradually play back what has already been recorded on it, then
get rid of it. Like you, I will never buy Samsung again.

In its defence, it could tune in and record the HD channels.

Old April 5th 17, 01:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On 5 Apr 2017 11:52:33 GMT, Huge wrote:

[17 lines snipped]

In Ghod's name, don't replace it with a Panasonic.

Damn, I can't find the review on Amazon of the Panasonic PVR we foolishly
bought. Amazon have redesigned their account pages and "My Reviews" seems
to have disappeared. Ahh, here we go;

This piece of junk is essentially unusable. Not because of the user
interface, which appears to have been designed by the blind man's dog
on an off day, but because when it is recording you cannot;

(i) Add any more programmes to be recorded. Pressing "Guide" when it's
already recording something just pops up a windows saying "Cannot be done
while recording" or somesuch. That means if you've started a recording
and you spot something on later you'd like to record, you can't.

(ii) Delete any already recorded programmes. Same pop-up.

You must have bought a really old one. I've had several Panasonic PVRs
and the most recent one can do all these things and more, including
editing a previous recording while simultaneously recording another
two. Admittedly they have improved the software over the years (who
doesn't?), and the older ones did have the limitations you describe,
but I find my present main PVR to be very user-friendly. It's a
DMR-HW120 if you're interested.
[...]
Don't buy this. It will drive you crazy.

It was the Humax PVR I had before any of the Panasonic ones that drove
me crazy. If I powered down from the remote while it was recording
something, it didn't just go to standby but killed everything
including the recording. The Panasonic makes it difficult to interrupt
a recording already in progress, but will allow you to do anything
else that doesn't require the use of the tuner(s).

[Added a couple of weeks later] It gets worse. It doesn't remember
where you've got up when you watch part of a recording (again, unlike
my previous Sony). That means you have to fiddle about finding your
place in any recording you got part-way through.[...]

Once again, this is something my Panasonic definitely does do, so if
yours doesn't, I can only guess that it's really old stock.

Old April 5th 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

As a matter of interest; does the panasonic have a talking menus feature. it
must have been five years ago when a bloke from Panasonic came on the radio
and ssaid how the voice for the menues and program guide would be expanded
to the pvr range. Since then I've heard nothing at all. Samsung are now
singing the virtues of their talking tvs; but I've yet to find anyone who
has not given up on using it due to a lot of key bits not orking crrectly;
and they don't do a pvr either.; Sony on the other hand seem to be unable to
design understandable remote controls and I've yet to find a talkijng model
of anything despite them claiming their tvs are based around android; which
has a screenreader built in!; We do seem to have struck a nerve here. there
is obviously a need vfor simple to use boxes and tvs just like Nokia has re
released an old phone; we perhaps need to revisit tvs that can be operateed
without lots of meenues and choices again. I remember the day when we had s
a simple tuning konob!; grin; Brian

"Huge" wrote in message
On 2017-04-05, Roderick Stewart wrote:
[...]

Oh, the review is a number of years old and the PVR has long been
discontinued - it was a current model when I bought it.

But since the Panny was an utter PoS compared to the
Sony which preceded it, I foolishly assumed it would be better. All
the reviews I read praised it (I assume they got cocaine and hookers
from Panasonic, rather than an actual PVR).

I've had several Panasonic PVRs
and the most recent one can do all these things and more, including
editing a previous recording while simultaneously recording another
two. Admittedly they have improved the software over the years (who
doesn't?), and the older ones did have the limitations you describe,
but I find my present main PVR to be very user-friendly. It's a
DMR-HW120 if you're interested.

Nope. Like I said, never buying anything made by Panasonic ever
again.

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 22nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Old April 5th 17, 02:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sam

The current Humax PVR doesn't seem to recognise when a series has finished.
Maybe the old model didn't either. If you record a lot, it's a pain to find
recorded programs especially as it treats the words New The and A as significant
words, when it sorts alphabetically.

I've found that the series ID can be different on some programmes from
the same series.My Humax either treats them as seperate programmes or
doesn't record them unless I select them individually. This is the fault
of the EPG provider not the Humax.

Old April 5th 17, 03:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 05/04/2017 12:47, Martin wrote:

The current Humax PVR doesn't seem to recognise when a series has finished.
Maybe the old model didn't either.

That's just a 'feature' of (Freeview) series link. The end of a series
isn't indicated.

--
Max Demian
Old April 5th 17, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 14:48:26 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

As a matter of interest; does the panasonic have a talking menus feature.

None of my Panasonic PVRs have had anything like this, though my most
recent one is a few years old, so it's possible that there exists a
more recent one that has it.

Every new model seems to have new things that the previous one didn't,
such as HD, two tuners, internet access (crap, but it's there), and
the ability to edit previous recordings and program future ones while
recording. Who knows what the next model after mine will have?

Old April 5th 17, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 05 Apr 2017 15:56:44 +0200, Martin wrote:

It was the Humax PVR I had before any of the Panasonic ones that drove
me crazy. If I powered down from the remote while it was recording
something, it didn't just go to standby but killed everything
including the recording. The Panasonic makes it difficult to interrupt
a recording already in progress, but will allow you to do anything
else that doesn't require the use of the tuner(s).

How long ago did you have a Humax? I have three generations of Humax PVRs, one
Dutch cable and two Freesat, and none of them do what yours did.

It was called the 8000T. The actual eception and picture quality were
very good, but the ergonomics of its operating system were an utter
nightmare. It was possible to watch a playback while recording, but
only from a previous point in the programme actually being recorded,
not a different recording, and when the recording stopped, playback
would stop as well, so you'd have to find the programme again and
spool through it to the point you'd got to when it stopped. Also, as I
described previously, there didn't seem to be a standby mode and there
was no interlock to prevent you switching the power off while it was
recording something. There were several other little niggles I've
forgotten. I'm sure their more recent efforts must be better than
this, but the Panasonic one I got shortly after the Humax was much
better even then, so I've stuck with Panasonic ever since and not
regretted it.

Old April 5th 17, 07:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You know this term of smart tv does seem to be a strange one. In most
cases they are not smart, indeed many are almost impossible to work by
ordinary people who do not have a 7 year old child around.
I was talking to a friend of mine who reckoned her cheapo Sainsburies tv
basic freeview with hd tv, was far easier to use than the Samsung one she
used to have, as she never could figure out the so called smart stuff.
I do wonder thinking about this, if we are not building thigs to inflate
the egos of the designers. Its a bit like the kings new clothes. Its cool
to have all the extra stuff but how many people actually use them?

My TV's got a full web browser

but it' impractical to use with the remote control

I can plug in a mouse and keyboard, but with me sitting on my sofa and the
TV across the room, what's the point?

tim