Any Topfield experts out there?

Old April 14th 17, 12:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Eddie King[_2_]

Default Any Topfield experts out there?

Hi all,

my trusty Topfield 7700 seems on its way out. The story is as follows:

a few months ago, it forgot its stored channels, I did a re-scan and
arranged the channels in the order I required. This seemed to work until
yesterday, when

I tried to record a programm and found that the Toppy wouldn't accept
any remote control commands (apart from off) so I couldn't access the
files menue or change channel.

After powering off and restarting, it displayed the "verifying files and
folders" message. After this, for the first 2 or 3 minutes all seemed
well. Then the same happened, no remote commands and no access to the
files list.

I then removed the mains supply for 30 seconds and then did a factory
reset, re-scanned and reorganised the channels. Again all seemed well,
everything worked - until I powered off, the display then showed "wait"
for over 5 minutes. So I removed power and on re-boot sometimes it works
but it is not reliable.

I re-capped the power supply about 2 years ago with high quality 105°
caps. I replaced *all* electrolytics on the PSU. With the fault showing,
the measured voltages are 24,07V; 16,92V; 7,78V; 5,10V; 3,30V and 2,30V.

Any ideas?

If the worst comes to the worst, how can I save my recordinmgs stored on
the HDD without having to use the dysfunctional PVR? Is there any way to
externally recover the files from the HDD?

Many thanks for any help.
Eddie
--

remove trousers before replying by mail
Old April 14th 17, 01:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 14/04/17 13:30, Eddie King wrote:
Hi all,

my trusty Topfield 7700 seems on its way out. The story is as follows:

a few months ago, it forgot its stored channels, I did a re-scan and
arranged the channels in the order I required. This seemed to work until
yesterday, when

I tried to record a programm and found that the Toppy wouldn't accept
any remote control commands (apart from off) so I couldn't access the
files menue or change channel.

Is there an individual remote control ID that needs resetting? Some can
be tailored to a particular recorder (the case if ye have more than one)

--
Adrian C
Old April 14th 17, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

That does not sound like the problem. It sounds more like creeping demise,
either of the drive or the control chips, though I'd guess its not going to
be the chips, more likely still something intermittent corrupting data
control somewhere.

This is the one weakness when one has to store the programmes on a captive
hard drive. Bring back video tape, or at least some sort of solid state
media one can pull out and shove into a compatible device.
I have not bought into this pvr stuff myself. Seems too risky, even if
there was one out there a blindy could use, which there is not unless you
want to buy a computer.

Old April 14th 17, 04:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 14/04/2017 13:30, Eddie King wrote:
[...]

How old is the hard drive? Is it due for a replacement? I have just
ordered a new hard drive for my 10 year old Toppy.

--
Michael Chare
Old April 14th 17, 08:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

"Eddie King" wrote in message ...

[...]

Maybe try he
https://topfield.forumchitchat.com/
Some faults he
https://sites.google.com/site/andyfr...eld-pvr-faults

Old April 14th 17, 08:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Eddie King" wrote in message
[...]

Its the most common fault I know of - the last PVR I recapped; I missed a
small seemingly unimportant electrolytic. It was working again but reluctant
to respond to the remote - sometimes it came on and then dropped out again.

More recently a rectifier popped in the PSU, while I had it open I nailed
the missed capacitor - its been working fine since.

Hard drives can and do wear out, most of the ones I tried sticking on a PC
were FAT32 but I wasn't able to identify any files that actually did
anything - you might be able to do something with a partition cloning
utility.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 14th 17, 09:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 14/04/17 17:16, Brian Gaff wrote:

This is the one weakness when one has to store the programmes on a captive
hard drive. Bring back video tape, or at least some sort of solid state
media one can pull out and shove into a compatible device.

There should be a PVR that allows user to compartmentalise storage, like
say Beryl has her own folder of recorded programs and schedules, and Jim
has his. Bit like his and hers video tape. At the moment its just one
long list of treacle, wading through that from beginning to the end.

A good EPG design can work. Problem is murdoch and virgin killed the
real TiVo which was a simple system for the tech flustered.

I have not bought into this pvr stuff myself. Seems too risky, even if
there was one out there a blindy could use, which there is not unless you
want to buy a computer.

Seems the manufacturers of accessible things want insane access to your
bank account, or financial assistance from the government, or you to use
some locked-in technology.

Doesn't matter, Long term PVR use is anyway doomed.

People will just use catchup services on their smart TV, computer,
tablet, phone, watch, or bio-daydream interface.

A friend has already got rid of her hard drive box, says she doesn't use
or need it.

--
Adrian C
Old April 15th 17, 06:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Eddie King wrote:
Hi all,

my trusty Topfield 7700 seems on its way out. The story is as follows:

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/

Post details on there and see if "AndyFras" can help you. He re-caps
and services TF5800/TF5810's, and may have advice/spares etc.

If the worst comes to the worst, how can I save my recordinmgs stored on
the HDD without having to use the dysfunctional PVR?

There is external software that can run on a PC to read TF5800/5810
drives. You can't read the drive directly from Windows/Linux without
it, but it can be done.

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old April 19th 17, 04:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 14/04/2017 21:13, Kenny wrote:

Some faults he
https://sites.google.com/site/andyfr...eld-pvr-faults

And on the same page (towards the bottom) is a utility to
read/write/recover Toppy formatted disks on a PC.

The file is called topfHDRW_setup.zip

From memory, I believe the installation has a manual in a .pdf format
in both German and English with the English versions being on the later
pages of the document.