Meeja strikes again?

Old April 19th 17, 10:51 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default Meeja strikes again?

Did anyone see the 10pm news on BBC1 tonight?

An item about the 'armarda' that Donald Trump supposedly sent to 'keep
an
eye' on the works of North Korea. The 6th fleet was in Singapore and
was
despatched accordingly.

Some bright sub-ed came up with the idea of generating a graphic map
to show
the relative locations. Nothing wrong with that except that someone
decided to put a compass on it (er, doesn't everyone know that North
is up?)
and the got E and W reversed.

I rest my case.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 20th 17, 12:17 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 22:51:26 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

Did anyone see the 10pm news on BBC1 tonight?

An item about the 'armarda' that Donald Trump supposedly sent to 'keep
an
eye' on the works of North Korea. The 6th fleet was in Singapore and
was
despatched accordingly.

Some bright sub-ed came up with the idea of generating a graphic map
to show
the relative locations. Nothing wrong with that except that someone
decided to put a compass on it (er, doesn't everyone know that North
is up?)
and the got E and W reversed.

I rest my case.

I was looking at a railway enthusiast website the other day, each page
carried Gerry Barney famous British Rail double arrow logo but in
every case the upper arrow was pointing left and the lower one
pointing right. I tried hard to find an ironic motive for the
reversal, but if there was one it eluded me.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 20th 17, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 20/04/17 00:17, Graham. wrote:

I was looking at a railway enthusiast website the other day, each page
carried Gerry Barney famous British Rail double arrow logo but in
every case the upper arrow was pointing left and the lower one
pointing right. I tried hard to find an ironic motive for the
reversal, but if there was one it eluded me.

It's a campaign logo.

http://www.bringbackbritishrail.org/

--
Adrian C
Old April 20th 17, 09:49 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Graham.
writes
I was looking at a railway enthusiast website the other day, each page
carried Gerry Barney famous British Rail double arrow logo but in every
case the upper arrow was pointing left and the lower one pointing
right. I tried hard to find an ironic motive for the reversal, but if
there was one it eluded me.

A way to avoid a copyright-infringement lawsuit from Network Rail (or
whoever inherited the rights to the BR trademark)?
--
John Hall
"One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses
Old April 20th 17, 09:53 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Adrian Caspersz
writes
On 20/04/17 00:17, Graham. wrote:

I was looking at a railway enthusiast website the other day, each page
carried Gerry Barney famous British Rail double arrow logo but in
every case the upper arrow was pointing left and the lower one
pointing right. I tried hard to find an ironic motive for the
reversal, but if there was one it eluded me.

It's a campaign logo.

http://www.bringbackbritishrail.org/

How short people's memories are! Apart from the poor unfortunates in the
Southern area of operations, the train service is far superior to what
it was in BR days. Nowadays most scheduled trains actually run, and in
my experience most of them run on time.
Old April 20th 17, 10:38 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes well there was an ex whitehouse aid being interviewed about things like
this and he says that when he was in there, often the media knew more about
where the American Navy was than they did.
Kind of worrying in an inept bad communications type of way.

news

Old April 20th 17, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

That is so, but unfortunately nobody can afford to use them any more.

"John Hall" wrote in message
In message , Adrian Caspersz
writes

Old April 20th 17, 02:35 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 19/04/2017 22:51, Woody wrote:

Some bright sub-ed came up with the idea of generating a graphic map
to show
the relative locations. Nothing wrong with that except that someone
decided to put a compass on it (er, doesn't everyone know that North
is up?)
and the got E and W reversed.

As someone has pointed out elsewhere regarding it, BBC NWES

--
Mark
Old April 20th 17, 06:40 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

Did anyone see the 10pm news on BBC1 tonight?

An item about the 'armarda' that Donald Trump supposedly sent to 'keep
an
eye' on the works of North Korea. The 6th fleet was in Singapore and
was
despatched accordingly.

Some bright sub-ed came up with the idea of generating a graphic map
to show
the relative locations. Nothing wrong with that except that someone
decided to put a compass on it (er, doesn't everyone know that North
is up?)
and the got E and W reversed.

I rest my case.

I wonder, I just wonder.

From a position in (preferably on!) the Pacific Ocean the countries we
describe as "the East": China, Japan, etc, are on the left, and the
countries we describe as "the West" are on the right.

So, from that Pacific viewpoint interpreting "East" and "West" as those
groups of countries:

E + W

Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)