Crock.Pot

Old April 26th 17, 12:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Default Crock.Pot

"Woody" wrote in message
news

My Management (SWMBO) is thinking of buying a CrockPot slow cooker to use
whilst our Aga is off during the summer and in the caravan whilst we are
away. The unit is rated 1200W which with a 6A supply limit on many
European sites is sailing a bit close to the wind.

The device is rated as having variable power but nothing is said of how
this variability is attained. Is it done by variable power a la a dimmer,
or is it a simple variable thermostat which is on at full power and off at
zero power thus giving a timed average of lower power overall?

I have contacted the supplier. The UK end hadn't a clue what I was talking
about, the US end (origin) simply replied that they are designed for
indoor use, not in RVs - end of conversation.

So the simple question - do any of you out there have one and if so can
you answer my query.

I think it's inconceivable that a slow cooker would use anything other than
a simple bang-bang on-off controller, because the thermal capacity of the
contents would prevent significant temperature changes over one on/off
cycle. There's no point in going to expensive 50Hz control. Even if it did,
the heat would be on max until the liquid has reached the set temperature.

If you Google for CSC024 service manual, there is a free Maintenance Manual
pdf listed on the first page, but unfortunately you have to submit a valid
bank card number to prove where you are. It probably won't tell you what you
want to know anyway.
--
Dave W

Old April 26th 17, 05:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

The manual is ~95 pages, but only the first 9 are in English. One summary
says it is 'digital', but whether it uses a 555 timer I don't know.

Old April 26th 17, 06:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Phi" wrote in message
news

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

In this context; digital usually means some kind of display and a few push
buttons.

For power control; digital would most likely mean PWM - there's no
particular advantage on AC mains. Phase control is falling out of favour
because of RFI. Burst mode with a triac as the switch is fairly likely -
basically, the electronic replacement for the simmerswitch.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 26th 17, 08:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Phi wrote:

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

that means you use a finger to operate it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old April 27th 17, 01:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 21:46:57 +0100, charles wrote:

In article , Phi wrote:

====snip====

The manual is ~95 pages, but only the first 9 are in English. One
summary says it is 'digital',

that means you use a finger to operate it.

So... that's "digital" in the the medical sense then. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 27th 17, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in message
news

"Phi" wrote in message
news

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

I was also thinking it might be like a simmerswitch, but they don't have
thermostats. This thing does, so will be full on until the liquid gets up to
temperature.
--
Dave W