freesat box unused input

Old April 26th 17, 02:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen[_7_]

Default freesat box unused input

Hello,

I have a freesat box that has two inputs but there is only one cable
going into the bedroom. Not wanting to climb ladders and fit new LNB
and cable etc. just yet, what should do with the unused input? The
manual says nothing. Do I leave it alone or should it be terminated?

It is a Humax 1010S. I have one downstairs which has both inputs
connected and it is fine. The one upstairs is not working. The display
keeps going blank and the machine becomes unresponsive to the remote
or the buttons on the front. The only way to rescue it is to unplug
the power for a few seconds.

I have tried the factory reset option in he menu and that has not
helped.

The firmware is the latest version but that is dated 2016.

Sometimes whilst it is frozen the disk is whirring, not reading or
writing, but it is whirring and the box is warm to the touch.

I am going to email humax because I'm not sure if there is anything
else I can do?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Old April 26th 17, 03:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
John Rumm

On 26/04/2017 15:19, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I have a freesat box that has two inputs but there is only one cable
going into the bedroom. Not wanting to climb ladders and fit new LNB
and cable etc. just yet, what should do with the unused input?

Leave it unused ;-)

The
manual says nothing. Do I leave it alone or should it be terminated?

It should be fine as is.

The humax in a twin tuner machine such that it can record and playback
at the same time from different channel bouquets. So to get full
functionality from its recording you would need s second feed from
either a multi output LNB, or from a multiswitch.

It is a Humax 1010S. I have one downstairs which has both inputs
connected and it is fine. The one upstairs is not working. The display
keeps going blank and the machine becomes unresponsive to the remote
or the buttons on the front. The only way to rescue it is to unplug
the power for a few seconds.

I have tried the factory reset option in he menu and that has not
helped.

The firmware is the latest version but that is dated 2016.

Sometimes whilst it is frozen the disk is whirring, not reading or
writing, but it is whirring and the box is warm to the touch.

Hard drive whirr when power is on. Can you here any drive access going
on at the time?

I am going to email humax because I'm not sure if there is anything
else I can do?

Probably a good plan.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old April 26th 17, 04:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 26/04/2017 15:19, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I have a freesat box that has two inputs but there is only one cable
going into the bedroom. Not wanting to climb ladders and fit new LNB
and cable etc. just yet, what should do with the unused input? The
manual says nothing. Do I leave it alone or should it be terminated?

Normally the second LNB feed allows you to view one channel while
recording another. With only one feed, you should be able to either
view or record, but not both at the same time.

It is a Humax 1010S. I have one downstairs which has both inputs
connected and it is fine. The one upstairs is not working. The display
keeps going blank and the machine becomes unresponsive to the remote
or the buttons on the front. The only way to rescue it is to unplug
the power for a few seconds.

The earlier Humax (eg PVR9200T) had a habit of freezing if you worked
the remote while it was still booting the behind-the-scenes software.
Try turning it on ans waiting 5 minutes.

If the display is going blank, then something isn't working as I would
expect it (but I only have a 9200T and a 9150T here, and they are both
Freeview rather than Freesat, so that might be a wrong call).

I would temporarily switch the downstairs and upstairs boxes and see if
the single feed works on the known working box. It would also show if
the box which becomes unresponsive still does that with two connections.

Sometimes whilst it is frozen the disk is whirring, not reading or
writing, but it is whirring and the box is warm to the touch.

If the box is warm to the touch, perhaps the air flow isn't good enough?
Does the 1010S have a fan? If so, can you see it turning?

I am going to email humax because I'm not sure if there is anything
else I can do?

I would e-mail Humax, but I would get the additional diagnostics first.

Old April 26th 17, 05:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

It's worth doing a 'new install' including letting it load all the
Freesat channels. Some early ones acted daft if the channel list was
outdated. I don't know why.

Old April 26th 17, 07:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Indy Jess John formulated on Wednesday :
Normally the second LNB feed allows you to view one channel while recording
another. With only one feed, you should be able to either view or record,
but not both at the same time.

Not saying you are wrong, but I seem to remember my sat receiver with
single LNB input, allowed watch a channel and record another, providing
they were on the same mux(?)..
Old April 26th 17, 09:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 26/04/2017 20:37, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Indy Jess John formulated on Wednesday :
Normally the second LNB feed allows you to view one channel while
recording another. With only one feed, you should be able to either
view or record, but not both at the same time.

Not saying you are wrong, but I seem to remember my sat receiver with
single LNB input, allowed watch a channel and record another, providing
they were on the same mux(?)..

Sky Q uses two lnb feeds (H + V) to do all the channels.
Old April 27th 17, 10:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

The two inputs allow you to record any two channels at the same time. Using
only one input, you can still record two channels provided they are both
have the same polarisation and lie within the same half of the frequency
band.

This is because the LNB on the dish is set to one of the four possible
combinations of polarisation and frequency by a voltage and a pilot tone
sent to it from the recorder.
See http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm
--
Dave W

Old April 27th 17, 12:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Capitol[_2_]

Martin wrote:
On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 16:16:43 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

[...]

The Humax manual says that the noise is from the fan. Incidentally it must be
one of the worst manuals that Humax have ever produced.

I am going to email humax because I'm not sure if there is anything
else I can do?

Probably a good plan.

I can't wait for the answer. :-)

I have given up trying to understand PVRs. IME they have a female mind
of their own where logic and function doesn't operate. All 3 of ours
adjust their remote control functions on what seems like a daily basis
and I suspect the only way to prevent this is to do a factory reset and
reformat the hard drive.
Old April 27th 17, 12:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 27/04/2017 13:00, Capitol wrote:

I have given up trying to understand PVRs. IME they have a female
mind of their own where logic and function doesn't operate. All 3 of
ours adjust their remote control functions on what seems like a daily
basis and I suspect the only way to prevent this is to do a factory
reset and reformat the hard drive.

What they need is a good hard shagging.