FS: Topfield TF5810 PVR

Old April 27th 17, 10:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

Default FS: Topfield TF5810 PVR

I have a Topfield TF5810 for sale if anyone here is interested before it
goes to ebay.

Good working order, 1TB disk, HDMI out, latest Toppy.org.uk recommended
firmware, MyStuff 6.2 installed, remote, RF loop-through lead, manual,
original box. PSU recently re-capped.

40 quid + P&P at cost. Can deliver within 30 miles of CH45

The email address works.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Old April 27th 17, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 11:46:54 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I have a Topfield TF5810 for sale if anyone here is interested before it
goes to ebay.

Good working order, 1TB disk, HDMI out, latest Toppy.org.uk recommended
firmware, MyStuff 6.2 installed, remote, RF loop-through lead, manual,
original box. PSU recently re-capped.

40 quid + P&P at cost. Can deliver within 30 miles of CH45

The email address works.

I appreciate your offering first refusal to the group before getting
shut of it on ebay but I suspect ebay is where it's likely to be destined.

I wasn't sure whether this was the satellite version PVR (I bought the
XYL a TF5800 some 7 or 8 years back as a Xmas pressy[1] - I was already
using my PC to record Freeview[2] before discovering the Toppy's
existence via this and the tech.pvr news groups) so I googled it.

This confirmed that it was just an updated version of the TF5800, ie no
DVB-T2 tuners, so I doubt anyone here would be looking for yet another
DVB-T1 based PVR to add to their collection, especially in the light of
this December 2010 article on "How Topfield lost the plot"

http://gonedigital.net/2010/12/30/how-topfield-lost-the-plot/

I vaguely recall seeing mention that the problematic Humax 9200 that was
its competitor being based on the same hardware platform, so it was
interesting to see this mentioned as an actual fact in the article. I
guess Humax simply went for a much cheaper and (as it proved) under-
powered EMMA2 processor chip (undoubtedly the reason for the ****-poor
USB2 reliability and performance compared to its overpriced Topfield
counterpart.

Sadly this, in tech terms, is all ancient history now and since the
demise of the Tivo and the TF5800, just like post windows 2000 OSes, PVRs
seem only to be going from bad to worse. I think the only way to get a
decent PVR these days is to build your own using DVB-T2/S adapter cards
in a dedicated home brewed PC using something simple and effective like
Kaffeine or a more complex solution like Myth-TV (or whatever it has been
replaced by).

I'm currently using a twin tuner (overkill for what I'm using it for
right now) DVB-T Kworld adapter in my current desktop PC using Kaffeine
running under Linux Mint 17.1. I've been checking out the prospect of
upgrading to a twin tuner (now a requirement) DVB-T2 adapter compatible
with Linux so as to upgrade to Freeview HD and be less beholden to the
eejits running the iplayer concession stand at the Beeb.

This might seem to be off topic to this thread but I should think most
of your audience here are more interested in upgrading to T2 tuner
equipped kit whether a homebrewed PC based PVR solution or a readymade STB
one rather than take on yet another T1 PVR other than perhaps to help out
a friend or relative looking to replace an existing T1 box cheaply.

You might touch lucky but the chances don't seem to be very good imo.
However, in spite of that opinion, I wish you luck since it seems a shame
to let what was (if you loaded appropriate TAPs and ignored the Freeview
Exact Record feature) a half decent SD Freeview PVR end up in landfill or
'won' in an ebay auction for less than the resale value of the 1TB HDD
upgrade alone.

[1] The ungrateful bitch thought I'd bought it for myself (like Homer's
Bowling Ball birthday present to Marge) so I landed up packing it away
for six months before having a go at persuading her to accept it as a
genuine gift.

[2] Being that I was running windows 2000 at the time, it was a rather
klunky 'PVR' solution using a basic Freeview recording program (DTVR)
that had been supplied with one of the two or three adapters I had
acquired by then.

Trying out the more sophisticated Home Theatre styled offerings on a a
test setup of winXP proved so horrifically klunky to use due to "Ten Foot
Interface"ism and .NET crutches led me to stick with the altogether more
efficient (if less sophisticated) DTVR program but it was rather like
being laced up into a straight-jacket compared to my later discovery (two
years ago now) of Linux's 'basic pvr' software, Kaffeine, which is such a
joy to use (suffice to say that padding conflicts are now a thing of the
past) as to more than make up for the niggles I have using Linux Mint KDE
as my upgrade from win2k.

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 28th 17, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

As a matter of interest, if one went down this line and got a system built
is there a workable screenreader for this system. It would seem from what
you say that if some enterprising person could put something like this
together for, say under 500 notes it would sell to many blind tv users who
feel annoyed at having to buy a whole tv to get accessible tv with spoken
menus program guide and AD.

Old April 28th 17, 11:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Don't make me laugh.
Of course but the last one they did was the TVOnics which they let wither
on the vine after Panasonic suggested all their systems would have voices,
which as we now all know was vapourware. Now left to Samsung who seemingly
only half heartedly do it. A person I know wanted to form a consortium to
bring back the tvoonics and was told the rnib had rights to the talking
software, which they now say they don't think they have.
RRNIB are really a bunch of amateurs in my view.
We still have no talking access to Sky or freesat or virgin tv.
We have no AD on ITV huhb or man7y of the smaller channels on freview. We
do not have any AD On Prime despite the latest Fiire stick having talking
menus, but Netflicks has AD. Apple tv has accessibility but has not got the
apps to make AD work on many of the platforms.
Chromecast has had a screenreader in development but its not working
properly.
Same goes for one other.

Its a non co ordinated mess.

"Martin" wrote in message
Shouldn't the RNIB be organising things like this?

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 09:19:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

wrote:

As a matter of interest, if one went down this line and got a system built
is there a workable screenreader for this system. It would seem from what
you say that if some enterprising person could put something like this
together for, say under 500 notes it would sell to many blind tv users who
feel annoyed at having to buy a whole tv to get accessible tv with spoken
menus program guide and AD.

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old April 28th 17, 01:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 12:41:52 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

We have no AD on ITV huhb or man7y of the smaller channels on
freview.

The same as subtitles. You watch one programme on Yesterday, it has
them, the next one doesn't. Most non-Beeb and non-ITV channels
frequently don't. And the subtitles on Castle, for some reason, are all
over the place if watched later on the Humax, you get the written story
30 seconds before it's spoken. Then it re-syncs itself, until the next
time. Other programmes can show the same problem, but not with the huge
time slip of Castle.

--
Davey.
Old April 28th 17, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 27/04/2017 19:17, Johnny B Good wrote:

You might touch lucky but the chances don't seem to be very good imo.
However, in spite of that opinion, I wish you luck since it seems a shame
to let what was (if you loaded appropriate TAPs and ignored the Freeview
Exact Record feature) a half decent SD Freeview PVR end up in landfill or
'won' in an ebay auction for less than the resale value of the 1TB HDD
upgrade alone.

I've just put a Sata disk in my TF5800, I changed the capacitors a few
years ago. SWMBO likes it, so I hope the DVB-T broadcasts remain.

My new and much smaller, satellite PVR also has a T2 tuner.

--
Michael Chare

---

Old April 28th 17, 06:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 28/04/17 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
As a matter of interest, if one went down this line and got a system built
is there a workable screenreader for this system. It would seem from what
you say that if some enterprising person could put something like this
together for, say under 500 notes it would sell to many blind tv users who
feel annoyed at having to buy a whole tv to get accessible tv with spoken
menus program guide and AD.

Talk to the electronics department of your local college. They have
hundreds of undergraduates every year puzzling over what final year
project thing to 'invent' and write up about.

--
Adrian C