Vodafone scraps roaming charges, but not in UK.

Old April 28th 17, 07:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default Vodafone scraps roaming charges, but not in UK.

In article , Martin
wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:41:10 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message
Tweed wrote in news
So why do you expect things to get worse (I'm assuming this is your
implication) post Brexit?

The Mirror article quotes a Vodafone spokesman "Our customers made it
clear to us that they wanted the freedom to use their phones worry
free whilst abroad and we have listened". Oh really. Customers have
made that clear for the last 25 years, they could have listened a bit
earlier. No what made them drop the charges was regulation. But when
UK leaves the EU, that regulation may go away, so anything is possible
then.

The GREAT BREXIT BILL will convert all EU legislation into UK law, then
the bits we don't like can be chopped off the end.

There have been estimates that at the present rate of passing bills, this
could take 40 years!

When we leave the EU allegedly in 2019 we, the UK mobile users, will
have had no roaming charges for the better part of two years. Heaven
help any government that even thinks about chopping off that bit of EU
legislation - they won't get back into power for possibly decades!

After 2019 it could be like the end of the 1960s again where only the
rich could afford to roam. I remember being asked by customs on departure
"How much cash do you have on you, sir?" and the stunned look on the
custom officer's face when I replied "about 30/-"

I think you have things the wrong way round. Because the UK economy was in
such a parlous state, nobody was allowed to take more than 10 out of the
country. The amount you took was entered in your passport.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old April 28th 17, 10:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 28 April 2017 07:39:54 UTC+1, charles wrote:
wrote:

[...]

In the late 1960' it was £50 - this mad elife difficult for my dad on a sales trip to Japan.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Old April 28th 17, 12:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"charles" wrote in message
wrote:

I think you have things the wrong way round. Because the UK economy was in
such a parlous state, nobody was allowed to take more than 10 out of the
country. The amount you took was entered in your passport.

It wasn't just the UK

Italy had similar draconian exchange controls for almost 20 years after the
UK abolished them

tim

Old April 28th 17, 01:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 4/28/2017 2:39 AM, charles wrote:

I think you have things the wrong way round. Because the UK economy was in
such a parlous state, nobody was allowed to take more than 10 out of the
country. The amount you took was entered in your passport.

I remember that as 15 in sterling, plus 50 in foreign currency.