BBC Sports Site

Old May 2nd 17, 07:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

Default BBC Sports Site

I have some feeds from the BBC - not the Sports site as such, but there are
some articles in other feeds that cover sport.
Every headline to the Sports site goes to the basic page, then clicking on
any link has either no effect (just refreshes the page) or is 'false'
(clicking on Athletics went to Top Gear - that's obscene!).

Any idea what's going on?

Also, is it possible to get a BBC feed that doesn't repeat many things? I
have Health, Tech., Environment and general, and some articles appear up to
3 times, repeated across the feeds.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old May 2nd 17, 10:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"PeterC" wrote in message
I have some feeds from the BBC - not the Sports site as such, but there are
some articles in other feeds that cover sport.
Every headline to the Sports site goes to the basic page, then clicking on
any link has either no effect (just refreshes the page) or is 'false'
(clicking on Athletics went to Top Gear - that's obscene!).

Any idea what's going on?

Also, is it possible to get a BBC feed that doesn't repeat many things? I
have Health, Tech., Environment and general, and some articles appear up
3 times, repeated across the feeds.

Are you sure they all ARE the basic page? Some stupid websites (e.g. British
Science Association) have the same large heading pictures on every page, and
no clear hint that there's more if you scroll down.
--
Dave W

Old May 3rd 17, 06:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Tue, 2 May 2017 23:27:17 +0100, Dave W wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
I have some feeds from the BBC - not the Sports site as such, but there are
some articles in other feeds that cover sport.
Every headline to the Sports site goes to the basic page, then clicking on
any link has either no effect (just refreshes the page) or is 'false'
(clicking on Athletics went to Top Gear - that's obscene!).

Any idea what's going on?

Also, is it possible to get a BBC feed that doesn't repeat many things? I
have Health, Tech., Environment and general, and some articles appear up
3 times, repeated across the feeds.

Are you sure they all ARE the basic page? Some stupid websites (e.g. British
Science Association) have the same large heading pictures on every page, and
no clear hint that there's more if you scroll down.

There's no more than the one page - no scroll bar.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old May 3rd 17, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes the bbc web designers are dick heads.
I clicked on an email to moan about Iplayer changes screwing up the blind
to be greeted by a 501 error on sending to it.
I feel the left hand has not told the right hand that its moved and changed
everything so half the time stuff does not work. If I were in charge over
there their feet would not touch the ground. What kind of message does this
mess send about the competence of the bbc?

I don't give a sh1t about sport but I would like to be able to select the
AD stream before the content plays by default, and I would like my apps to
still work to get I player info, so removing metadata with no warning to the
myriad of people who use it is a scandal. And don't get me started on the
long running news clips with subtitles which have no audio version.

Old May 3rd 17, 08:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes many do this forgetting that blind users cannot see much apart from the
currently focussed line and then add daft sub menus that only open if you
can hover a mouse over the graphic. No good for anyone unable to use a
mouse.
Its really depressing that this late in the web development cycle people
tend to make silly assumptions. Its centre of the universe syndrome. IE they
think you only live to use their site and design it in a unique way,
forgetting that the public are seeing many sites which often do not follow
the same conventions as each other.
Really bonkers.

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

Old May 3rd 17, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Wed, 03 May 2017 09:19:25 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

[...]

I think you're taking a rather charitable view in assuming the current
iPlayer problems were caused by mere incompetence. In my opinion, for
what it's worth, I think it's all down to a deliberate change of policy
rather than incompetence (the evidence seems to keep mounting up).

--
Johnny B Good