I'm still annoyed about this, 45 years later

Old May 2nd 17, 06:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default I'm still annoyed about this, 45 years later

On Tue, 2 May 2017 09:17:48 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

A definite case of RTFM, the question is, what function did this lock
serve? Was it to stop people taking pictures of the inside of their
luggage?
Brian

Well, I'm still annoyed that my mother threw out all the boxes for my
train set in 1965.
Old May 3rd 17, 01:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

A definite case of RTFM, the question is, what function did this lock
serve? Was it to stop people taking pictures of the inside of their
luggage?
Brian

Well, I'm still annoyed that my mother threw out all the boxes for my
train set in 1965.

Well I am still annoyed that

My sister trod on and damaged the track of the train set I got on my fifth birthday the same day.

My mum gave my precious stamp collection to one of my sister's friends back in the 1960's.

My dad deliberately left a genuine original Coca Cola mirror in the loft when we moved house in 1973 saying no-one would want it. It was worth around £200 then... PS lots of copies around for ~£20.
Old May 3rd 17, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
My sister trod on and damaged the track of the train set I got on my fifth
birthday the same day.

My mum gave my precious stamp collection to one of my sister's friends
back in the 1960's.

My dad deliberately left a genuine original Coca Cola mirror in the loft
when we moved house in 1973 saying no-one would want it. It was worth
around £200 then... PS lots of copies around for ~£20.

My dad had a set of Meccano dating back to when he was a child. I played
with it and then it went into the loft, ostensibly for if my sister or I
ever had kids. In the meantime, dad lent the Meccano to a colleague at work
for his children to play with.

When he came to ask for it back a few years later, when my sister's children
were coming to the age when they'd appreciate it, the colleague said that he
hadn't realised that it was a loan rather than a gift, and that he'd thrown
it away (not even sold or given it away) when his children no longer played
with it. Dad was *not* amused and keeps referring to "****ty Shanks (*) and
my Meccano", several decades later.

(*) Given that the company Armitage Shanks is a major manufacturer of
porcelain goods such as toilet bowls, what other nickname would you give
someone you hated whose surname was Shanks? :-)

Old May 3rd 17, 08:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 03/05/2017 16:03, NY wrote:
When he came to ask for it back a few years later, when my sister's
children were coming to the age when they'd appreciate it, the colleague
said that he hadn't realised that it was a loan rather than a gift, and
that he'd thrown it away (not even sold or given it away) when his
children no longer played with it. Dad was *not* amused and keeps
referring to "****ty Shanks (*) and my Meccano", several decades later.

We had that with our Lego. Mum lent it to a cousin, and never saw it again.

The stuff we bought for our kids is in one of their lofts.

Perhaps this is why we have no grandchildren!

Andy
Old May 3rd 17, 09:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Wed, 03 May 2017 18:41:01 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 3 May 2017 16:03:26 +0100, "NY" wrote:

[...]

I was in digs belonging to somebody who referred to his neighbour as **** House
Fowler.

There was a boy at Uni callled Harpic.
Old May 3rd 17, 09:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

... "****ty Shanks" (*)

(*) Given that the company Armitage Shanks is a major manufacturer of
porcelain goods such as toilet bowls, what other nickname would you give
someone you hated whose surname was Shanks? :-)

I was in digs belonging to somebody who referred to his neighbour as ****
House
Fowler.

Hmmm. I'm sure I *ought* to be able to make the connection between "****
House" and "Fowler" but for the moment my brain has gone on strike.
Enlighten me!

Old May 3rd 17, 11:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Wed, 03 May 2017 22:20:51 +0100, NY wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 May 2017 16:03:26 +0100, "NY" wrote:
... "****ty Shanks" (*)

(*) Given that the company Armitage Shanks is a major manufacturer of
porcelain goods such as toilet bowls, what other nickname would you
give someone you hated whose surname was Shanks? :-)

I was in digs belonging to somebody who referred to his neighbour as
**** House Fowler.

Hmmm. I'm sure I *ought* to be able to make the connection between "****
House" and "Fowler" but for the moment my brain has gone on strike.
Enlighten me!

Try alternative spellings! :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old May 4th 17, 07:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Scott
wrote:
[...]

unoriginal - comes from Neville Shute's "Round the Bend"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old May 4th 17, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 3 May 2017 21:55:34 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 03/05/2017 16:03, NY wrote:
When he came to ask for it back a few years later, when my sister's
children were coming to the age when they'd appreciate it, the colleague
said that he hadn't realised that it was a loan rather than a gift, and
that he'd thrown it away (not even sold or given it away) when his
children no longer played with it. Dad was *not* amused and keeps
referring to "****ty Shanks (*) and my Meccano", several decades later.

We had that with our Lego. Mum lent it to a cousin, and never saw it again.

The stuff we bought for our kids is in one of their lofts.

Perhaps this is why we have no grandchildren!

Andy

No, but iti si why you have no Lego...
Old May 4th 17, 08:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Wednesday, 3 May 2017 22:05:12 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
There was a boy at Uni callled Harpic.

ditto Vaseline Tony.

I don't know why; he didn't use hair gel.

Owain