Doctor Who audio

Old May 6th 17, 07:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default Doctor Who audio

For those that haven't heard about it, the episode of Dr Who that is
being broadcast tonight will be in stereo on TV as normal, but if
listened to on iPlayer using headphones it is in binaural audio.

I heard some of the original 'dummy head' binaural tests that the BBC
did maybe 20 years ago and it really does work - I suspect could be
frighteningly so with Dr Who!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old May 6th 17, 07:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Woody wrote:

I heard some of the original 'dummy head' binaural tests that the BBC
did maybe 20 years ago and it really does work - I suspect could be
frighteningly so with Dr Who!

My maths teacher was interested in binaural stereo 40ish years ago. He
had a shop dummy's head with microphones inserted in the ears, he
invited me to his house to compare recordings of him walking up/down the
stairs and creaking floorboards, very convincing.

No doubt inviting 13 year old students to your house would be frowned on
these days.
Old May 6th 17, 09:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Woody
writes
For those that haven't heard about it, the episode of Dr Who that is
being broadcast tonight will be in stereo on TV as normal, but if
listened to on iPlayer using headphones it is in binaural audio.

I heard some of the original 'dummy head' binaural tests that the BBC
did maybe 20 years ago and it really does work - I suspect could be
frighteningly so with Dr Who!

I just wish that they'd broadcast it on TV in such a way that the
dialogue was intelligible. Peter Capaldi is the prime offender. It's not
helped when there's background music or sound effects to be competed
with.
--
John Hall
"One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses
Old May 6th 17, 09:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

There was a JVC record called adventures in binaural. I have it somewhere.
The big snag is that if you physically move your head during listening you
lose the effect.

I went to an ambisonics demo many years ago, and that was
quite good.
However, it was using six speakers not phones obviously.

Old May 6th 17, 02:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sat, 6 May 2017 10:05:26 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

The question has to be asked though. Why?

Brian

The kids all seem to consume their TV walking around with cans, so why
not binaural?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old May 6th 17, 05:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I agree the mix is definitely not good nowadays. I think this is his last
series I gather, but to be fair I think the tech used cocks it up.
So, if I don't watch tonight, but do watch it afterwards on I player will I
get binaural or stereo, and how the heck can you convert from one to the
other, its got more phase info in binaural.

"John Hall" wrote in message
In message , Woody
writes

Old May 6th 17, 06:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 06/05/2017 10:35, John Hall wrote:

I just wish that they'd broadcast it on TV in such a way that the
dialogue was intelligible.

I just wish they'd forget their endless campaign to make us all believe
we live in a multi-culty paradise.

Old May 7th 17, 07:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

wrote:

The question has to be asked though. Why?

Brian

The kids all seem to consume their TV walking around with cans,
so why not binaural?

With such a large proportion of listeners using headphones nowadays,
I wonder if pop music is mostly mixed for speakers or headphones.

It's mixed for one speaker...

--
Adrian C
Old May 7th 17, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Here is one for you. I have no idea of the skin colour or ethnicity of
anyone on TV unless its actually mentioned. Sometimes the name is a clue,
but to be honest I have no interest. The only interest I have is in the odd
views expressed by some people.
Dr who is after all just a story, its not meant to be real, or do you have
a Police box in your garden?

news