So anyone get hacked then?

Old May 13th 17, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Default So anyone get hacked then?

On Sat, 13 May 2017 17:27:48 +0100, Graham.
wrote:

On Sat, 13 May 2017 12:01:36 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

If there’s a bit of hope, it comes from a curious feature in the
attack code that was first noted on Friday by Darien Huss, a security
researcher at Proofpoint. It turns out that upon infecting a new
target, WannaCry tries to contact a server at a particular domain
name— a dot-com address consisting of a long string of gobbledygook
letters and numbers ending in “gwea.com”.

iuqerfsodp9ifjaposdfjhgosurijfaewrwergwea.com

actually

So presumably one could put that in the hosts file and point it to
somewhere in the localhost/loopback range, say 127.0.0.254?
Old May 14th 17, 06:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

En el artículo , Ian Jackson
escribió:

But the update server is AWOL (and has been for several days).

So? XP went out of support ages ago. They've released a patch which
you can download and install separately.

https://arstechnica.com/security/201...ean-microsoft-
issues-patch-for-3-unsupported-windows-versions/

Mind you, anyone running XP facing the internet these days is
irresponsible at best, if not outright reckless. When you connect a
system to the internet, you have a duty to ensure your system is secure
not to protect just yourself, but others too.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Old May 14th 17, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
En el artículo , Ian Jackson
escribió:

But the update server is AWOL (and has been for several days).

So? XP went out of support ages ago. They've released a patch which
you can download and install separately.

The XP update server has still been continuing to release important
security fixes for those who are not paying for extended support - and
one would have expected that the security patch would have been
included. However, a few days ago it became incommunicado. Almost nobody
would know that a special patch had been released - and where to find
it.

https://arstechnica.com/security/201...ean-microsoft-
issues-patch-for-3-unsupported-windows-versions/

It's certainly a game of 'Guess where the link is". [Yes, it IS there -
inconspicuously mixed in with a load other links, and about half way
through the article. Other websites that report the problem are just as
bad.]

Mind you, anyone running XP facing the internet these days is
irresponsible at best, if not outright reckless. When you connect a
system to the internet, you have a duty to ensure your system is secure
not to protect just yourself, but others too.

Apparently there are some very compelling reasons why XP is still the
backbone for the NHS - and many other - massive IT networks. It's not
just a case of "Only a fool would use XP". Nevertheless, like many other
NHS problems, it's lack of finance - despite the Government claiming
that they are pouring more money into the NHS than ever before.
--
Ian
Old May 14th 17, 09:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 14 May 2017 08:48:05 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

Apparently there are some very compelling reasons why XP is still the
backbone for the NHS - and many other - massive IT networks.

Now we know that there's an even more compelling reason not to
continue to use it several years after support has run out. I wonder
how many more years of warnings they think they should have had?

Old May 14th 17, 09:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Not awall, eesactly its still there but generates increasing processor usage
while its ooking for updates till the system locks up.
Old May 14th 17, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I downloaded it from the manual site in Firefox, but not tried it. They
also say that more due to accident than design, most windows 10 machines
were not affected.

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
En el artículo , Ian Jackson
escribió:

I wonder if it is just coincidence that the XP update server went AWOL
about a week ago, and hasn't reappeared?

M$ has released an XP patch for the latest hack.

Old May 14th 17, 09:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Actually one xp machine complains you need a more modern browser, goodbye,
whereas the rest I've tried do the lock up looking for updates when you hit
the custom or express buttons., svchost, or one of them climbs to 90 percent
of processor usage then gives up.

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:

But the update server is AWOL (and has been for several days).

AWOL when viewed in IE8 from an XP machine?

The Security Center 'Check for updates' takes you to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
and you get
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

Or just redirects to a different web page if viewed with a different
browser/operating system combination?

If you try to access the website using Firefox, it takes you to W10 stuff.
[I think you always did need IE (in recent times IE8) get to the normal
updates site.]

--
Ian

Old May 14th 17, 09:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I'm not so sure that XP is so bad. After all its hadthe longest time to fill
in all its holes. More than any of those following. its amazing just how
robust it is. I've had stuff on windows 7 that has never worried xp. I
suspect thevirus writers have moved on and are compiling their code only for
the later kernal of windows.

Old May 14th 17, 03:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 14/05/2017 12:48, David Woolley wrote:
On 14/05/17 11:12, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 14/05/2017 09:36, Brian Gaff wrote:
Actually one xp machine complains you need a more modern browser,
goodbye,
whereas the rest I've tried do the lock up looking for updates

This is the update:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/...14fa6ee9dd.exe

(Use http://tinyurl.com/kch8wzk if you have wrapping problems)

Are you sure this is a general XP solution. The one I got using the KB
number refuses to install on an ASUS netbook, saying wrong OS version,
and the name suggest it may be XP embedded only. I didn't use your long
URL, as it is too much to transcribe from the Linux machine to the
netbook, and I wouldn't use a tinyurl for anything security related.

Limiting it to embedded only would make commercial sense for Microsoft,
as replacing the OS in ticket machines and PoS terminals is probably a
lot more difficult that buying a new laptop or desktop.

The Tinyurl is exactly the long one, because I created the tiny one from
the long one, and so I know it is correct and genuine. I don't blame
you for being cautious though.

It is the standard XP SP3 version which I used, so I know it works for
that OS. However, if your ASUS netbook is not standard XP SP3 then you
had best find the version that is appropriate. There are embedded XP
versions and XP server versions and also an X64 version, despite (as far
as I know) there being no home computers that got a 64-bit XP.

If you go down the MS path, it insists on using IE, which is why I
posted the direct link (my default browser is Firefox). You are under
no obligation to use my links - I was just trying to be helpful.

Old May 14th 17, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 14/05/2017 13:11, Ian Jackson wrote:

Well, in the various XP newsgroups, there are those who have said that
they turned off all updates years ago, and never had any problems. Some
don't even have SP3.

The first release of SP3 gave a BSOD if you applied it to a PC with an
AMD processor. It did cause someone I know to uninstall it and block
all further updates. As far as I know, he is still on SP2.