So anyone get hacked then?

Old May 17th 17, 09:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

Default So anyone get hacked then?

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 24, 2017.

On Tue, 16 May 2017 13:45:50 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 16 May 2017 14:38:55 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Tue, 16 May 2017 09:07:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 16 May 2017 08:53:38 +0100, Norman Wells
wrote:

On 16/05/2017 07:38, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 15/05/2017 13:10, Martin wrote:

They do not insist you upgrade.

They had a pretty good go at forcing Win10 on users.

I ended up blocking all updates because I couldn't trust MS to update my
PC without also trying to sabotage it. I only removed the block a
couple of months after MS started charging for the Win10 upgrade.

+1

I see. It's not really a matter of principle or trust then. When it
comes to it, you're easily bought.

Eh? Once MS started charging for Win10, they stopped trying
automatically to upgrade earlier Win versions for free (or force them
on you if you weren't vigilant), so a block was no longer necessary.

Eh? I don;t understand why you upgraded if you didn't trust MS.

Eh? Or even double Eh! Where on earth did you get the idea that I
upgraded? I'm on Win7 and very happy with it, thank you. It came with
the computer, and I have had no reason to change it, especially as the
early reviews of Win10 were dire.

Win 10 hasn't been dire for some time.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old May 17th 17, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 24, 2017.

On Tue, 16 May 2017 16:22:44 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

[...]

I didn't think much of Windows 10 when I first encountered the trial
version, but it's really quite good once you get used to it, as long
as you just use it with a local account rather than a Microsoft
account, and switch off all the garbage and gimmicks.

It's worth using Cortana briefly if you want a laugh. :-)

It boots up and
shuts down quickly, and runs everything I used to run on Windows 7,
and it's still possible to dual-boot it with Linux. A fully patched
Windows 10 installation seems the be the only system to have
completely escaped the recent infestation, and many of them will
presumably be using only Microsoft's own antivirus application ,
Windows Defender. And support for it won't stop in 2020.

According to independent tests, Microsoft's own antivirus application, Windows
Defender, is the worst available. At Win10 Insider stage MS tried to stop
competitors internet security tools from running. They appear to have abandoned
that idea.

UK could learn lessons from the Dutch. No Dutch govt department computers have
been effected by the recent infestation.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old May 17th 17, 09:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I misunderstood what you wrote.
I thought that was out of character for you. My apologies.

I'm on Win7 and very happy with it, thank you. It came with
the computer, and I have had no reason to change it, especially as the
early reviews of Win10 were dire.

Did you notice that MS were charging 50% more for Win7 than for Win10
installation media?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old May 17th 17, 10:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 17 May 2017 11:43:15 +0200, Martin wrote:

A fully patched
Windows 10 installation seems the be the only system to have
completely escaped the recent infestation, and many of them will
presumably be using only Microsoft's own antivirus application ,
Windows Defender. And support for it won't stop in 2020.

According to independent tests, Microsoft's own antivirus application, Windows
Defender, is the worst available.

Good job I'm using AVG as well then, but at least Windows Defender
being included with the system ensures that everybody must be using
something, which is better than nothing. Earlier versions with no
antivirus are wide open.

Old May 18th 17, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 17/05/2017 23:14, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2017 11:43:15 +0200, Martin wrote:

A fully patched
Windows 10 installation seems the be the only system to have
completely escaped the recent infestation, and many of them will
presumably be using only Microsoft's own antivirus application ,
Windows Defender. And support for it won't stop in 2020.

According to independent tests, Microsoft's own antivirus application, Windows
Defender, is the worst available.

Good job I'm using AVG as well then, but at least Windows Defender
being included with the system ensures that everybody must be using
something, which is better than nothing. Earlier versions with no
antivirus are wide open.

How about Microsoft Security Essentials? That's the one I use with
Windows 7 (free).

--
Max Demian
Old May 18th 17, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 25, 2017.

On Wed, 17 May 2017 23:14:01 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

On Wed, 17 May 2017 11:43:15 +0200, Martin wrote:

A fully patched
Windows 10 installation seems the be the only system to have
completely escaped the recent infestation, and many of them will
presumably be using only Microsoft's own antivirus application ,
Windows Defender. And support for it won't stop in 2020.

According to independent tests, Microsoft's own antivirus application, Windows
Defender, is the worst available.

Good job I'm using AVG as well then, but at least Windows Defender
being included with the system ensures that everybody must be using
something, which is better than nothing. Earlier versions with no
antivirus are wide open.

The risk is that people will believe that Defender is sufficient. It isn't.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old May 18th 17, 11:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

On Thu, 18 May 2017 11:59:29 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 17/05/2017 23:14, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2017 11:43:15 +0200, Martin wrote:

A fully patched
Windows 10 installation seems the be the only system to have
completely escaped the recent infestation, and many of them will
presumably be using only Microsoft's own antivirus application ,
Windows Defender. And support for it won't stop in 2020.

According to independent tests, Microsoft's own antivirus application, Windows
Defender, is the worst available.

Good job I'm using AVG as well then, but at least Windows Defender
being included with the system ensures that everybody must be using
something, which is better than nothing. Earlier versions with no
antivirus are wide open.

How about Microsoft Security Essentials? That's the one I use with
Windows 7 (free).

Defender with a different name. All the free ones are better than anything MS
offers.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old May 19th 17, 01:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Huge

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 26, 2017.

On 2017-05-18, Martin wrote:
[...]

Care to give a reference ro these "independent tests"?

--
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my
attitude, that's your problem.
Old May 19th 17, 01:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wolfgang Schwanke

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 26, 2017.

Graham. wrote in
:

iuqerfsodp9ifjaposdfjhgosurijfaewrwergwea.com

actually

So the hackers are Welsh?

--
John Peel is not enough

http://www.wschwanke.de/ http://www.fotos-aus-der-luft.de/
usenet_20031215 (AT) wschwanke (DOT) de
Old May 19th 17, 05:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

wrote:

[...]

I have disabled defender and telemetry in Windows 10