A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Novelty aerals.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old May 19th 17, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,505
Default Novelty aerals.

I'm sure, they probably sold hens teeth as well.
Did you know that a snake only has one lung?

Getting back on topic, I was reminded that wall mounted pictures could also
be used as aerials, though the give away was the wire down the wall.
I also rrember the naff bits of twin feeder we used to get for fm bundled
with quite high end tuners and all of that junk. No chance of it working
very well most of the time!
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 May 2017 07:25:31 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Back in the 70s there used to be a trend toward ornaments that sat on
the tv, supposedly having aerials inside them. I can clearly remember
a small , well not that small, naff looking statue of a girl made in
plastic. Never seemed to work very well as I suspect they just had a
bit of ewiire inside them.

So anyone who thinks that snake oil is a modern thing, should just
look at hisstory.
Brian


I do believe that the original snake-oil salesmen, in the Wild West,
predated TV sets!

--
Davey.



  #12  
Old May 19th 17, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,651
Default Novelty aerals.

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 26, 2017.

On Fri, 19 May 2017 13:54:11 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.


I had an old calculator looking very similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Big-Button-Desktop-Calculator-8-Digit-Large-School-Home-Office-Battery-Solar-/262064127116

which after about 25 years stopped working.

In the usual spirit of curiosity, I dismantled it before
disposal, only to find that it contained a button cell, with no
designed means of replacement, and what was intended to look like
a small solar panel had no functioning components whatever,
merely a printed rectangular pattern.


I suspect I own one or more similar solar cell calculator implementations that
have stopped working recently after a similar number of years.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland



  #13  
Old May 19th 17, 04:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,651
Default Novelty aerals.

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 26, 2017.

On Fri, 19 May 2017 15:58:19 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

However, I did have a Casio one that had a solar cell in one half of a clam
shell design and a tiny rechargeable inside which one supposes allowed it to
work when the light was not bright enough, at least for a short time.

Yours sounds like a fraud to me.
The cleverest calculator I ever saw was charged by shaking it. Not sure how
well it worked but it was being sold as a novelty at a show I went to some
years ago.


I have watches that work using the same method :-)
--

Martin in Zuid Holland



  #14  
Old May 19th 17, 06:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,698
Default Novelty aerals.

On 19/05/2017 16:03, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm sure, they probably sold hens teeth as well.
Did you know that a snake only has one lung?

Getting back on topic, I was reminded that wall mounted pictures could also
be used as aerials, though the give away was the wire down the wall.
I also rrember the naff bits of twin feeder we used to get for fm bundled
with quite high end tuners and all of that junk. No chance of it working
very well most of the time!


Twin feeder? Looxury! usually just a single wire a couple of feet long.

--
Max Demian
  #15  
Old May 19th 17, 06:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,698
Default Novelty aerals.

On 19/05/2017 13:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Roderick Stewart wrote:

Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.


I had an old calculator looking very similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Big-Button-Desktop-Calculator-8-Digit-Large-School-Home-Office-Battery-Solar-/262064127116

which after about 25 years stopped working.

In the usual spirit of curiosity, I dismantled it before
disposal, only to find that it contained a button cell, with no
designed means of replacement, and what was intended to look like
a small solar panel had no functioning components whatever,
merely a printed rectangular pattern.


Didn't you notice that it continued to work when you covered the "solar
panel", or did you assume it had an additional power source, whether
rechargeable or not? (Purely solar calculators generally come on as soon
as they get enough light, with the AC button only needed if it shows a
garbled display.)

--
Max Demian
  #16  
Old May 19th 17, 07:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Novelty aerals.



"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
However, I did have a Casio one that had a solar cell in one half of a
clam shell design and a tiny rechargeable inside which one supposes
allowed it to work when the light was not bright enough, at least for a
short time.


I have an obscure Casio solar only - no battery at all.

My latest is a retro Radio Shack LED calculator I found on the ground by
some recycling bins.

The Casio is allegedly a collectible, apart from that the Radio Shack is the
only one I've got with a proper on/off switch instead of a power button that
gets knocked on in my jacket pocket.

  #17  
Old May 19th 17, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Novelty aerals.



"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I'm sure, they probably sold hens teeth as well.
Did you know that a snake only has one lung?

Getting back on topic, I was reminded that wall mounted pictures could
also be used as aerials, though the give away was the wire down the wall.
I also rrember the naff bits of twin feeder we used to get for fm bundled
with quite high end tuners and all of that junk. No chance of it working
very well most of the time!
Brian


They used to plaster the walls on wooden laths, more recently; a wire mesh
is fixed to the wall to slap the plaster on - it makes a pretty good Faraday
cage.

  #18  
Old May 19th 17, 07:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pamela
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 369
Default Novelty aerals.

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 26, 2017.

On 12:18 19 May 2017, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which
had a swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled
it too far one day and the case split in half to reveal this
fact. The "aerial" was simply an ornament containing no metal
connected to anything, just to make it look technical to the
uninitiated I suppose.


Some of the garbage passed off as the real thing is shocking.
There must be many examples of this sort of thing.

If such a manufacturer spent half as much on the functional parts
as he does on his product's appearance then he might have a half
decent product.
  #19  
Old May 19th 17, 08:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 358
Default Novelty aerals.

On 19/05/2017 20:31, Ian Field wrote:

They used to plaster the walls on wooden laths, more recently; a wire
mesh is fixed to the wall to slap the plaster on - it makes a pretty
good Faraday cage.


My house is like that. It's 300 years old in parts, but a lot of the
outside has metal mesh with pebbledash on it.

Some of the ceilings are metal mesh too.

Andy
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.