Novelty aerals.

Old May 19th 17, 06:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Novelty aerals.

Back in the 70s there used to be a trend toward ornaments that sat on the
tv, supposedly having aerials inside them. I can clearly remember a small ,
well not that small, naff looking statue of a girl made in plastic.
Never seemed to work very well as I suspect they just had a bit of ewiire
inside them.

So anyone who thinks that snake oil is a modern thing, should just look at
hisstory.

Old May 19th 17, 11:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

If you open up an external aerial from a wi-fi router - one of those
jointed screw on things - you'll find that it consists of a length of
miniature co-ax with the braid stripped from the last 3cm or so. You
can also buy "high gain" aerials for some routers, which just look
like the same thing but about a foot long instead of a few inches. I
haven't had the opportunity to examine one of these high gain ones,
but in view of the frequencies used, I can't see how it could be
anything other than the same thing but on the end of a longer stick.
If it gets better results it must be by virtue of better positioning
rather than any superior property of the 3cm of wire itself.

Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.

Rod.

On Fri, 19 May 2017 07:25:31 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Back in the 70s there used to be a trend toward ornaments that sat on the
tv, supposedly having aerials inside them. I can clearly remember a small ,
well not that small, naff looking statue of a girl made in plastic.
Never seemed to work very well as I suspect they just had a bit of ewiire
inside them.

So anyone who thinks that snake oil is a modern thing, should just look at
hisstory.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old May 19th 17, 11:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Back in the 70s there used to be a trend toward ornaments that sat on
the tv, supposedly having aerials inside them. I can clearly remember
a small , well not that small, naff looking statue of a girl made in
plastic. Never seemed to work very well as I suspect they just had a
bit of ewiire inside them.

So anyone who thinks that snake oil is a modern thing, should just
look at hisstory.
Brian

I do believe that the original snake-oil salesmen, in the Wild West,
predated TV sets!

--
Davey.
Old May 19th 17, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Back in the 70s there used to be a trend toward ornaments that sat on
the tv, supposedly having aerials inside them. I can clearly remember
a small , well not that small, naff looking statue of a girl made in
plastic. Never seemed to work very well as I suspect they just had a
bit of ewiire inside them.

So anyone who thinks that snake oil is a modern thing, should just
look at hisstory.
Brian

I do believe that the original snake-oil salesmen, in the Wild West,
predated TV sets!

Indeed!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil#History

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old May 19th 17, 12:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.

I had an old calculator looking very similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Big-Button-Desktop-Calculator-8-Digit-Large-School-Home-Office-Battery-Solar-/262064127116

which after about 25 years stopped working.

In the usual spirit of curiosity, I dismantled it before
disposal, only to find that it contained a button cell, with no
designed means of replacement, and what was intended to look like
a small solar panel had no functioning components whatever,
merely a printed rectangular pattern.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old May 19th 17, 12:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Fri, 19 May 2017 12:18:10 +0100
Roderick Stewart wrote:
Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.

Some early digital mobile phones in the early 90s had phony extendable
"antennas" that were nothing more than a bit of useless plastic. I imagine at
that time people still expected a "proper" antenna on a phone so the
manufacturers oblidged with the real antenna hidden somewhere inside. The
Motorola M300 and M400 are good examples.

--
Spud

Old May 19th 17, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 19/05/2017 12:18, Roderick Stewart wrote:
Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact.

I recently had to repair a broken aerial on a remote controlled
quad-copter controller. No problem in getting a 1.50 aerial from Ebay.
On opening the case of the controller I found that the old broken
aerial was connected to .... nothing.

Old May 19th 17, 01:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 19/05/2017 13:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I had an old calculator looking very similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Big-Button-Desktop-Calculator-8-Digit-Large-School-Home-Office-Battery-Solar-/262064127116

which after about 25 years stopped working.

In the usual spirit of curiosity, I dismantled it before
disposal, only to find that it contained a button cell, with no
designed means of replacement, and what was intended to look like
a small solar panel had no functioning components whatever,
merely a printed rectangular pattern.

Chris

25 years use out of one button cell was pretty good going!

Old May 19th 17, 02:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes some of these cheap walkie talkies seem to have a little rubber duck
aerial but many of those are just decoration as the aerial is a strip of
copper on one side of the internal pcb.

,

Old May 19th 17, 02:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

However, I did have a Casio one that had a solar cell in one half of a clam
shell design and a tiny rechargeable inside which one supposes allowed it to
work when the light was not bright enough, at least for a short time.

Yours sounds like a fraud to me.
The cleverest calculator I ever saw was charged by shaking it. Not sure how
well it worked but it was being sold as a novelty at a show I went to some
years ago.