dashcams: how do they link to my PC?

Old May 23rd 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default dashcams: how do they link to my PC?

OK I need a dashcam. Stuff keeps happening. Kid on a motorbike comes
onto the roundabout from the pavement out of control and if I hadn't
stopped abruptly would have been under my wheels. Guy in a big merc
comes round a blind bend and passes me with inches to spare, me with the
nearside wheels in the ditch. One day I'm going to need evidence. The
problem is my ignorance is more-or-less all encompassing.

How do I get the video from the dashcam and into my PC? Options seem to be:

1. Wi-fi. I've never even got the wifi on my stills camera to work so
forget that.
2. Take the memory card out of the dashcam and... do what with it? Do I
have to buy a card reader that USBs to the PC? If so will the card
contents appear as a removal drive or what? I don't like fiddling around
with those tiny cards. I never take the card out of my camera.
3. USB from the dashcam to the PC. That sounds most foolproof to me. Do
these dashcams have a USB socket?

Do I have to load software onto the PC? If so is it supplied?

Help!

Old May 23rd 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 23/05/2017 15:48, Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

I have never examined a dashcam (and they probably vary according to
make, so perhaps there is no standard) so whether you can connect your
dashcam to your computer via USB cable is an unknown.

Most laptops have a card slot that will take your dashcam card. When
you put your card in the slot the card appears to the computer as though
it is a disc drive. You can copy off anything you might want to keep
(which is desirable if there is anything on it you need, because most
dashcams fill up the card then overwrite the oldest recording and if you
don't rescue what you need you will eventually lose it by overwriting it).

If you haven't got a laptop with a slot, there are card reader to USB
products around. Some PC towers (though not all) have a card slot built
into the front of the tower. Again the card you put in is treated as a
disc.

It is not a complete answer, but at least it is a starter.

Old May 23rd 17, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
[...]

Our dashcam (Transcend DrivePro 220) is probably fairly typical.

It takes micro-SD cards (the ones that are about the size of your little
fingernail, smaller than standard SD cards that you'd use in a digital
camera). You'd need an adaptor to plug one into the standard SD socket on a
PC. I think our camcorder had an adaptor in the box.

It also has a mini-USB socket: the sort that tends to be used by some
external hard drives, and not the one that's standard on most/all Android
mobile phones. Our camera included a 12V PSU with a very long lead for
powering the camera, but you'd need another lead (with a USB A plug on the
other end) for connecting the camera to a PC.

Our camera came with some software but it's not essential. If you plug
either the micro-SD card or the camera via a USB lead Windows sees it as an
additional drive letter (removable drive) and you can copy to/from the card.

I think our camera also includes wifi functionality but I've never
investigated it.

I agree with you that removing the camera and connecting it to the PC by USB
lead is probably the best solution. The micro SD card is very small and
probably very easy to lose as it springs out of the camera on the
push-in-spring-out action that you get with most SD cards in devices.

If you get a dashcam, make sure it includes GPS (position and speed) because
insurers and police take more notice if these are included with the video of
the other driver's mistakes.

Old May 23rd 17, 05:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

All of those I've heard of.
Not having a car though I paid no head. Most maintain a most reecent file
of some sort I'd imagine until you press something and stop it and it gets
finalised as a file in hopefully a readable format.

Old May 23rd 17, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
All of those I've heard of.
Not having a car though I paid no head. Most maintain a most recent file
of some sort I'd imagine until you press something and stop it and it gets
finalised as a file in hopefully a readable format.

Ours records in 5-minute MP4 H264 files (the length of the segments can be
configured to be 1, 2 or 5 minutes). As long as there is power through the
USB lead, it records these files automatically. Once the memory card is
(almost) full, it starts deleting the oldest files in order. There is a very
small battery (or maybe capacitor) which provides power for about five
minutes after power is removed; you can set the camera to turn off a few
seconds after power is removed (eg when ignition is turned off) or to carry
on recording until the battery/capacitor is flat.

There is also a button on the side which records the 30 seconds before the
button press and the 30 seconds after, and marks this file as read-only so
it won't get deleted by the least-recently-used algorithm.

With a 64 GB card, it will record the whole of my wife's journey to and from
work for two days (so a little over 4 hours). That's for 1920x1080x30
format; if you go for 1280x720 or 720x480, you'll get proportionally longer.

Footage can be played in most player programs such as VLC, VideoRedo and
Windows Media Player. There are also third-party programs such as Dashcam
Viewer which can play the footage and simultaneously plot your position on a
Google map as the journey is replayed, together with graphs of speed etc,
using the NMEA (GPS info) file that is produced alongside the MP4 video
file.

As long as there is good light (bright overcast or sunny) the shutter speed
is short enough to be able to read number plates of cars coming towards you:
the number plate is sharp even "out of the corner of its eye" as a car is
about to go out of shot, when it's closest to you and so lettering is
largest. In poorer light, the shutter speed increases so approaching number
plates can't be read as easily or at all. The auto-exposure seems to be
sensible enough that it doesn't immediately stop down at night every time a
car headlights approach, so you still see some detail in the shadows.

Old May 23rd 17, 07:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 23/05/2017 19:20, NY wrote:

Ours records in 5-minute MP4 H264 files (the length of the segments can be
configured to be 1, 2 or 5 minutes). As long as there is power through the
USB lead, it records these files automatically. Once the memory card is
(almost) full, it starts deleting the oldest files in order. There is a

Thanks for that. Very helpful. What make and type is it?

Old May 23rd 17, 09:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

On 23/05/2017 19:20, NY wrote:

Ours records in 5-minute MP4 H264 files (the length of the segments can
be
configured to be 1, 2 or 5 minutes). As long as there is power through
the
USB lead, it records these files automatically. Once the memory card is
(almost) full, it starts deleting the oldest files in order. There is a

Thanks for that. Very helpful. What make and type is it?

Transcend DrivePro 220

Old May 24th 17, 03:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 23/05/2017 22:45, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
Bill Wright
wrote in news
2. Take the memory card out of the dashcam and... do what with it? Do I
have to buy a card reader that USBs to the PC?

Some PCs or laptops come with an SD card slot. If yours doesn't, then
yes.

If so will the card
contents appear as a removal drive or what?

Yes

3. USB from the dashcam to the PC. That sounds most foolproof to me. Do
these dashcams have a USB socket?

Some do, some don't.

Do I have to load software onto the PC? If so is it supplied?

Not necessarily. With any luck the camera will create videos in a
common format, such as MP4, that can be played with what comes with
Windows or any other mainstream player.

Thanks for that.

Old May 25th 17, 11:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

mine came with a CFU 4GB card

given that there is virtually no price deference between that and an 8GB
card, a completely unnecessary piece of cost saving - *******s!

It also decides that the card is "full" when there is still 25% of it left.
Nothing I can do will make it fill up that final 1GB before it starts to
overwrite saved files.

tim

Old May 25th 17, 12:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AlanC

This site has some good reviews:

http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam

Alan