tv aerial masts

Old June 21st 17, 11:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_7_]

Default tv aerial masts

Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Old June 21st 17, 11:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_3_]

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Why not simply try an aerial in the loft first with a masthead
amp ? It shouldn't take more than an hour to decide on the best
position inside the loft fix up the aerial at the required
angle - maybe make further adjustments and see how it goes.

Then if that doesn't work is the time to start worrying about
the pole etc. From memory my internal aerial came ready
supplied with a short pole. Sufficient to position it
at least.

michael adams

Old June 21st 17, 11:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 21/06/17 12:20, jim wrote:
Stephen Wrote in message:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Steel rusts?

I didn't use a pole at all in my loft. Juts laid the antenna down on the
joists and lined it up using a compass and a map/

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Old June 21st 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Stephen laid this down on his screen :
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

A good signal straight from the antenna, is better than one which has
needed amplification. So if you are in a weak area, aim for a higher
gain antenna.

Height is only needed to find a line of sight over obstructions. A
antenna in the loft will be much worse than one outside, especially
when the roof is wet.

An alloy pole is the standard for TV antennas, because steel rusts. I
got the installer to just drop the coax end into the loft via the roof
tiles. It then plugs into a socket which takes the feed down through
the house, into a distribution unit. Then from that I took cables to
every room. With the cables safely inside, they last much longer and I
hate to see cables draped down houses, lose and flapping in the breeze.
The antenna has had to be replaced once since then, but having the
input socket in the loft, makes for a quicker and cheaper replacement.
Old June 21st 17, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 12:05, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

1. Try a loft aerial. First read this
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...sat-201007.pdf
He's a very clever chap him as wrote that. The article answers your mast
question as well as giving other vital information.

2. If necessary add a masthead amplifier.

3. If still no good put the aerial outside.

4. If still no good get Freesat.

Old June 21st 17, 11:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article ,
lid says...

Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Have you looked at the surrounding properties?

Do they all have masthead amps fitted?

If you can see several without external aerials it might
indicate that a loft aerial might be ok.

As has already been said, it won't take long to pop up to
loft with an aerial to see if it will work.

Java Jive's calculator can be handy:

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...TerrestrialTV/
TerrestrialCalculator.shtml

If you go to the maps at the bottom after completing your
query, you can move the marker to your house and see exactly
which way your aerial should be pointing.

If your loft aerial seems to work ok, bear in mind that rain
can affect the signal level received. If you can find a 6dB
pad and insert it into the feed to the TV's input, it will
give you a reasonable indication of how much margin your
installation has (or not, as the case may be!)

--

Terry
Old June 21st 17, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 21/06/17 12:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A antenna in the loft will be much worse than one outside, especially
when the roof is wet.

That is why TV signals disappear completely when there is rainstorm you
cant see through between you and te transmitter. I mean if a one mm film
of water can stop radio waves think how much woerse 20 miles of air full
of rain can..

Wottaprat.

For reference 20 miles from transmitter right on the fringe of reception
decent log periodic in the loft pointing through the tiles gave good
quality digital reception.

Come rain or shine.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Old June 21st 17, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 21/06/2017 12:53, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/06/2017 12:05, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

How far is far? In Manchester after the digital switchover plenty of
sets have tuners that will lock onto Welsh transmissions in a sidelobe
of antennas pointed at Winter Hill. It wouldn't be too bad but some
stupid sets put first found rather than strongest channels into the main
slots by default. Amusing to watch default tuning turn them all Welsh.
(unplugging the aerial while it scans the low range sorts it)

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

1. Try a loft aerial. First read this
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...sat-201007.pdf
He's a very clever chap him as wrote that. The article answers your mast
question as well as giving other vital information.

2. If necessary add a masthead amplifier.

3. If still no good put the aerial outside.

4. If still no good get Freesat.

These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being 10m
closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all. Does
need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the way.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old June 21st 17, 01:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_6_]

On 21/06/2017 12:20, michael adams wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

Mine blew off 20 years ago so as a quick temporary fix
I just just put it in the loft, pointing towards the
xmitter but used garden twine to attach it to the trusses
as high up as possible.

Works fine, even with three downleads feeding three
separate STB's.