Dropout on digital audio

Old June 29th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default Dropout on digital audio

I live in the North London area.
I run Kaffeine 1.3-git on my computer.
SD Television renders perfectly but radio is diabolical.
I rarely access radio stations but it would be convenient.
It has never bothered me before but I would like to understand why this
should be.

Old June 29th 17, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Pinnerite" wrote in message
news
I live in the North London area.
I run Kaffeine 1.3-git on my computer.
SD Television renders perfectly but radio is diabolical.
I rarely access radio stations but it would be convenient.
It has never bothered me before but I would like to understand why this
should be.

I regularly record programmes from BBC Radio 4 or Radio 4 Extra from
Freeview, using either Next PVR or Windows Media Centre on a Windows 7 PC.
I've always had good recordings, which suggests that the dropouts that you
are getting are not inherent to the method, but are specific to the way that
Kaffeine is copying them to (MP3?) files.

Old June 29th 17, 08:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

NY wrote:

"Pinnerite" wrote in message
news
I live in the North London area.
I run Kaffeine 1.3-git on my computer.
SD Television renders perfectly but radio is diabolical.
I rarely access radio stations but it would be convenient.
It has never bothered me before but I would like to understand why this
should be.

I regularly record programmes from BBC Radio 4 or Radio 4 Extra from
Freeview, using either Next PVR or Windows Media Centre on a Windows 7 PC.
I've always had good recordings, which suggests that the dropouts that you
are getting are not inherent to the method, but are specific to the way
that Kaffeine is copying them to (MP3?) files.

What copying?

I'm referring to listening to live broadcasts.

Old June 29th 17, 08:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Pinnerite" wrote in message
news
NY wrote:

"Pinnerite" wrote in message
news
I live in the North London area.
I run Kaffeine 1.3-git on my computer.
SD Television renders perfectly but radio is diabolical.
I rarely access radio stations but it would be convenient.
It has never bothered me before but I would like to understand why this
should be.

I regularly record programmes from BBC Radio 4 or Radio 4 Extra from
Freeview, using either Next PVR or Windows Media Centre on a Windows 7
PC.
I've always had good recordings, which suggests that the dropouts that
you
are getting are not inherent to the method, but are specific to the way
that Kaffeine is copying them to (MP3?) files.

What copying?

I'm referring to listening to live broadcasts.

Ah, sorry. You didn't say that it was live and I assumed (duh!) that you
were talking about recordings.

Old June 30th 17, 07:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

If its any consolation. Many DAB stations have dorp out and have had for
probably a year or so. Particularly audible on bbc local stations. Many have
complained but nothing has been done about it. I guess because its random
its hard to actually track it down.

news

Old June 30th 17, 08:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Pinnerite
wrote:
I live in the North London area. I run Kaffeine 1.3-git on my computer.
SD Television renders perfectly but radio is diabolical. I rarely access
radio stations but it would be convenient. It has never bothered me
before but I would like to understand why this should be.

I know zero about Kaffine, and you don't specify the means by which you are
fetching/receiving. Might help if you did. DVB? iplayer? Or...?

Old June 30th 17, 02:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Jim Lesurf wrote:

In article , Pinnerite
wrote:
I live in the North London area. I run Kaffeine 1.3-git on my computer.
SD Television renders perfectly but radio is diabolical. I rarely access
radio stations but it would be convenient. It has never bothered me
before but I would like to understand why this should be.

I know zero about Kaffine, and you don't specify the means by which you
are fetching/receiving. Might help if you did. DVB? iplayer? Or...?

Jim

I foolishly expected the clue in 'SD Television ... would be self-evident.
Apologies but yes, DVB.

Old June 30th 17, 06:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Pinnerite" wrote in message
news
Jim Lesurf wrote:

In article , Pinnerite
wrote:
I live in the North London area. I run Kaffeine 1.3-git on my computer.
SD Television renders perfectly but radio is diabolical. I rarely access
radio stations but it would be convenient. It has never bothered me
before but I would like to understand why this should be.

I know zero about Kaffine, and you don't specify the means by which you
are fetching/receiving. Might help if you did. DVB? iplayer? Or...?

Jim

I foolishly expected the clue in 'SD Television ... would be self-evident.
Apologies but yes, DVB.

It could equally well have implied via DVB-S (satellite) with a suitable USB
or PCI decoder in the same way as for a DVB-T. As far as I know, most
recording/playing software (eg VLC, Next PVR) can work with either, fairly
interchangeably. In the DSat case, there are of course some UKTV channels
(eg Yesterday, Drama) that need a real Sky subscription and aren't available
on Freeview because of the fear that non-UK viewers could watch them.

Old June 30th 17, 09:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_3_]

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 19:50:51 +0100, "NY" wrote:

In the DSat case, there are of course some UKTV channels
(eg Yesterday, Drama) that need a real Sky subscription...

Yesterday on Freesat 159 and Drama on Freesat 158 as I pointed out to
you in my post of 11th March. Have I missed something?

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.