Horizon 2017: Strange Signals from Outer Space

Old July 6th 17, 10:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Default Horizon 2017: Strange Signals from Outer Space

Phi wrote:

Not much original science content in this programme and the narrator keeps
repeating what the scientists say.

What's that you say? The narrator just repeats what he has been
told?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old July 6th 17, 10:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Old July 6th 17, 11:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_2_]

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 21:45:56 +0000, Phi wrote:

Not much original science content in this programme and the narrator
keeps repeating what the scientists say.

And why was it blanked off to an aspect ratio of something like 2:1? Were
they aiming for a 'cinema experience'?

--
TOJ.
Old July 7th 17, 08:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes well, some can be good but many are just remakes of older ones no doubt
to make them look more pretty.

They have turned in though the equivalent of the coffee table Sunday
magazine of TV. Lots of pretty pictures effects on the sound and little more
content than you could get in wikipedia, assuming of course the Wiki police
have not removed it for lack of qualified attribution and arse licking crap.

news

Old July 7th 17, 08:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No he repeats what he heard somewhere before which was edited from a long
boring bit of audio of a scientist you never heard of, but had either a
nice face or interesting accent.

Old July 7th 17, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I could not see that, but many of these recent ones have used archive
footage from earlier Horizons so maybe they have just made it all look the
same.
And no audio description but then do you need it for a Tonka Toy Science
program.

Some of the shows made in collaboration with the Open University are much
better, and seem to have more up to date content in them.

news

Old July 7th 17, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Phi" wrote in message
news
Not much original science content in this programme and the narrator keeps
repeating what the scientists say.

I think that looking for ET is nothing more than a child's game

If we do (somehow) find this information what the **** are we going to do
with it? How does it help mankind?

(given that we have exhausted the possibilities of intelligent life in our
own solar system) anything that we receive now wont be from a current
civilization, it will be from the civilization as it existed thousands of
years ago and could well be extinct by now.

and we can't communicate back. That conversation would take (the same)
thousands of years and we would all be dead before a reply came.

I can't understand why our (the world's) government(s) puts billions of
pounds into providing science with the equipment that they use to undertake
this IMHO worthless investigation.

There are far better uses of this money IMHO (and I'm talking "within the
world of science").

tim

Old July 7th 17, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Then they put up a caption for an advert break (even if the programme
has been made for the BBC) and then the narrator repeats what was said
immediately before the break.

Rod.

On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 08:44:40 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

No he repeats what he heard somewhere before which was edited from a long
boring bit of audio of a scientist you never heard of, but had either a
nice face or interesting accent.

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
.. .
Phi wrote:

Not much original science content in this programme and the narrator keeps
repeating what the scientists say.

What's that you say? The narrator just repeats what he has been
told?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old July 7th 17, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 07/07/2017 09:40, tim... wrote:
"Phi" wrote in message
news

Not much original science content in this programme and the narrator
keeps repeating what the scientists say.

I think that looking for ET is nothing more than a child's game

If we do (somehow) find this information what the **** are we going to
do with it? How does it help mankind?

Sometimes knowledge is important or interesting just for what it is. It
shows we have vision beyond where the next meal is coming from. It's a
form of art.

We don't necessarily know what we're going to do with any information we
find. It depends to some extent on what it is we discover.

(given that we have exhausted the possibilities of intelligent life in
our own solar system) anything that we receive now wont be from a
current civilization, it will be from the civilization as it existed
thousands of years ago and could well be extinct by now.

and we can't communicate back. That conversation would take (the same)
thousands of years and we would all be dead before a reply came.

I can't understand why our (the world's) government(s) puts billions of
pounds into providing science with the equipment that they use to
undertake this IMHO worthless investigation.

I don't think they do actually. The amount spent on looking for
extraterrestrial life can only be a miniscule percentage of overall
spending on science and research.

There are far better uses of this money IMHO (and I'm talking "within
the world of science").

It depends whether you think any knowledge is worthless. Sometimes such
knowledge turns out to be surprising and surprisingly useful. If we
only did things that had a predictable outcome, we'd never do any
research and never find anything new.

Old July 7th 17, 11:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 07/07/2017 09:40, tim... wrote:

"Phi" wrote in message
news
Not much original science content in this programme and the narrator
keeps repeating what the scientists say.

I think that looking for ET is nothing more than a child's game

If we do (somehow) find this information what the **** are we going to
do with it? How does it help mankind?

So you wouldn't want to listen to:

"This is the Western Spiral Arm broadcasting service. Today's theme is
how primitive races can build their first fusion generators. Research
on over 300 planets has shown these generators are a key step for long
term survival of all carbon-based life forms. So we shall be including
a detailed specification for a generator, manufacturing techniques for
key components, and - crucially - the colour scheme for the components
and controls."

--
Robin