Freeview Explore

Old July 13th 17, 08:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Freeview Explore

I missed this a few weeks ago:
https://www.freeview.co.uk/news-and-blog/press-releases/freeview-play-users-to-get-even-more-from-their-tv-with-launch-of-freeview-explore.html

"Freeview Explore will roll out on Freeview Play TVs and set-top boxes
this month and paves the way for Freeview to build a deeper relationship
with viewers. From today, users can search for programmes by genre or
programme name. The service features a scrolling carousel of 10 genres*
with recommendations from Freeview Play’s supported broadcasters
displaying in a new image-rich menu."

Well, the search facility would be useful. But the "recommendations"? No
thanks.

I haven't seen the change on my 2015/6 Panasonic TV yet. Will I? Looking at
https://www.freeview.co.uk/news-and-blog/press-releases/freeview-and-panasonic-unveil-exciting-new-features-for-2017-tvs.html
it seems a bit ambiguous. The Freeview Play "search" feature is supposed
to be appearing on the 2017 model range. Or is it just that it will
/first/ appear on the new range, and a software update will later apply
it to earlier models?

--

Jeff
Old July 13th 17, 09:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 13/07/2017 08:22, Jeff Layman wrote:
I missed this a few weeks ago:
https://www.freeview.co.uk/news-and-blog/press-releases/freeview-play-users-to-get-even-more-from-their-tv-with-launch-of-freeview-explore.html

"Freeview Explore will roll out on Freeview Play TVs and set-top boxes
this month and paves the way for Freeview to build a deeper relationship
with viewers. From today, users can search for programmes by genre or
programme name. The service features a scrolling carousel of 10 genres*
with recommendations from Freeview Play’s supported broadcasters
displaying in a new image-rich menu."

Well, the search facility would be useful. But the "recommendations"? No
thanks.

My old(ish) Humax Fox can search for programmes in the EPG by name
(actually substring) or genre, and also has an (annoying) recommendation
feature (that I can't turn off). So what's new?

--
Max Demian
Old July 13th 17, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Martin wrote:

Neither old nor new Humax PVRs can search what you have recorded and both treat
leading definite and indefinite articles as significant when sorting.

And as for "New... "

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old July 13th 17, 12:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:

"Freeview Explore will roll out on Freeview Play TVs and set-top boxes
this month and paves the way for Freeview to build a deeper relationship
with viewers. From today, users can search for programmes by genre or
programme name. [...]

My old(ish) Humax Fox can search for programmes in the EPG by name
(actually substring) or genre, and also has an (annoying) recommendation
feature (that I can't turn off). So what's new?

Presumably you will be able to search for programmes on the "catch-up"
services as well as future broadcasts.

-- Richard
Old July 13th 17, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 13/07/17 12:01, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Max Demian wrote:

"Freeview Explore will roll out on Freeview Play TVs and set-top boxes
this month and paves the way for Freeview to build a deeper relationship
with viewers. From today, users can search for programmes by genre or
programme name. [...]

My old(ish) Humax Fox can search for programmes in the EPG by name
(actually substring) or genre, and also has an (annoying) recommendation
feature (that I can't turn off). So what's new?

Presumably you will be able to search for programmes on the "catch-up"
services as well as future broadcasts.

That was my assumption too. The problem with Panasonic is that they have
never had the facility to search an EPG! Even my now-defunct Humax 9200T
could do that 10 years ago.

--

Jeff
Old July 13th 17, 01:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

That was my assumption too. The problem with Panasonic is that they have
never had the facility to search an EPG!

My 2010(?) Panasonic TV has.

-- Richard
Old July 13th 17, 01:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 13/07/2017 08:22, Jeff Layman wrote:
I missed this a few weeks ago:
https://www.freeview.co.uk/news-and-blog/press-releases/freeview-play-users-to-get-even-more-from-their-tv-with-launch-of-freeview-explore.html

The only drawback to this is that someone chooses the category and their
opinion might not be mine.

Is "Watchdog" categorised as Factual or Lifestyle, for instance

Also, when I am trying to find a programme by using a remote control,
how does it help me to have a small number of large pictures which are
clearly designed for a touchscreen tablet, when what I want is a screen
based keyboard and a "Search" button.

I can't see this development enhancing my experience one jot.

Old July 13th 17, 03:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 13/07/17 13:34, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

That was my assumption too. The problem with Panasonic is that they have
never had the facility to search an EPG!

My 2010(?) Panasonic TV has.

-- Richard

What model? I have a TX37LZD85 from 2009 (IIRC) and a TX-55CX680B from
early last year. Neither has a search facility, and, more annoyingly,
neither does the DMR-HWT130 PVR. I understand that some of its Freesat
TV's have searchable EPGs.

--

Jeff
Old July 13th 17, 04:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 13/07/2017 13:40, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 13/07/2017 08:22, Jeff Layman wrote:
I missed this a few weeks ago:
https://www.freeview.co.uk/news-and-blog/press-releases/freeview-play-users-to-get-even-more-from-their-tv-with-launch-of-freeview-explore.html

The only drawback to this is that someone chooses the category and their
opinion might not be mine.

Is "Watchdog" categorised as Factual or Lifestyle, for instance

Will they have a category called "Leftist/liberal/metropolitan
propaganda"? If so they'll have to sub-divide it or there's be too many
programmes in it.
Possible sub-categories:
"Downright lies"
"Opinion presented as fact"
"Appeals to authority"
"Censorship by omission"
"Unlikely leftist opinions in the mouths of drama characters"
"Black actors taking roles where blackness is most unlikely"
"Good upright moral female characters surrounded by despicable weak men"
"Panel show guests who know which side their bread is buttered."
"Stuffing audiences with left wing lunatics"