Philips with extended accessibility

Old July 13th 17, 03:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Philips with extended accessibility

I've been told by several sources that all manufacturers who sell tvs in the
USA are now forced to make the voice menu driven, ie they need to speak
menus.
Philips are making great play on this over here, so the big question is,
what is the way to find if these tvs really do have the voice. I bet its not
on by default and if its being forced on them by the fcc in the states,
surely we should now see it world wide?

Old July 13th 17, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 13/07/2017 16:32, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've been told by several sources that all manufacturers who sell tvs in the
USA are now forced to make the voice menu driven, ie they need to speak
menus.
Philips are making great play on this over here, so the big question is,
what is the way to find if these tvs really do have the voice. I bet its not
on by default and if its being forced on them by the fcc in the states,
surely we should now see it world wide?
Brian

Go to Richer Sounds who are usually helpful and knowledgeable, and ask
them to find out for you.

Old July 13th 17, 07:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 13 July 2017 19:55:19 UTC+1, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 13/07/2017 16:32, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've been told by several sources that all manufacturers who sell tvs in the
USA are now forced to make the voice menu driven, ie they need to speak
menus.
Philips are making great play on this over here, so the big question is,
what is the way to find if these tvs really do have the voice. I bet its not
on by default and if its being forced on them by the fcc in the states,
surely we should now see it world wide?
Brian

Go to Richer Sounds who are usually helpful and knowledgeable, and ask
them to find out for you.

Jim

Good advice! In fact buy from them if you can.

RS dropped Philips TV's for 2 - 3 years after a row I had with them in 2009.
Old July 13th 17, 09:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 12:45:01 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

[...]

+1
--

+1.

Despite the fact that many people do not (for some reason) like
Philips - and that Philips now only licence the badge for a Chinese
made product - you will generally find a better quality LCD panel in
them than most other well known makes.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old July 14th 17, 06:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John[_2_]

On 13/07/2017 22:44, Woody wrote:

Despite the fact that many people do not (for some reason) like
Philips - and that Philips now only licence the badge for a Chinese
made product - you will generally find a better quality LCD panel in
them than most other well known makes.

About 10 years ago, my CRT monitor failed and I decided to get a flat
screen replacement. I went into PC World and looked at all the monitors
they had powered up. I bought a Philips monitor because it had the best
colour and the clearest resolution of all the ones that size.

It is still working, now connected to its third PC tower. I have no
complaints about its quality or longevity.

Old July 14th 17, 07:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Indy Jess John" wrote in
message news
On 13/07/2017 22:44, Woody wrote:

Despite the fact that many people do not (for some reason) like
Philips - and that Philips now only licence the badge for a Chinese
made product - you will generally find a better quality LCD panel
in
them than most other well known makes.

About 10 years ago, my CRT monitor failed and I decided to get a
flat screen replacement. I went into PC World and looked at all the
monitors they had powered up. I bought a Philips monitor because it
had the best colour and the clearest resolution of all the ones that
size.

It is still working, now connected to its third PC tower. I have no
complaints about its quality or longevity.

Now you are talking. We had two Philips CRT TVs, 14" and 16" for
bedroom use. The 14" was still working when we replaced it at 18 years
(albeit with some of the buttons broken but working) and the 16"
lasted 16 years. Both of them had the standard fault of that chassis -
insufficient heat-sinking on the line transistor which was easy to
replace and use a larger clip-on heatsink.

The good thing about Philips used to be that service manuals were
easily and readily available and inexpensive - as indeed were the free
service bulletins in years gone by.

Old July 14th 17, 10:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Martin wrote:

Philips is still Philips.

But not for tellies

http://www.tpvision.com/
Old July 14th 17, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 14 July 2017 11:32:08 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin wrote:

Philips is still Philips.

But not for tellies

http://www.tpvision.com/

Or washing machines. We bought Philips white goods back in 1987. The washing machine lasted 23 years with minor repairs before the pump failed and I decided it would be better to replace than repair. The dishwasher lasted 27 years, with one minor repair and some trim snags before being part exchanged for a new Bosch one. The tumble drier is still going, although the delay timer no longer works.

Sadly Philips sold out to Whirlpool, which IIRC Which? has as the least reliable brand.

Our top of the range Philips CRT TV of ~1996 had no faults and was upgraded to Philips flat screen when our area went digital in 2009. Sadly this had a design problem that meant it mishandled aspect ratios. After two failed upgrades Philips claimed this was correct operation, so they and RS were sent photos of theirs and an LG side by side with a test card. RS asked us to return it and we bought an LG instead.