I can't get rid of the smell

Old July 21st 17, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default I can't get rid of the smell

T'other day, I put on my not that old TV. I never normally use it when I'm
here on my own as the screen is a little redundant. However it was dusty
inside it and as it got warm it made a smell not unlike that combination of
old fan heater and melting transformer varnish one gets on older gear. No
its flat screen, but anyway, eventually I forgot about it and yet since
then all I can smell is this smell. Its in my nose even if I'm in another
house.
Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.

Old July 21st 17, 06:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
T'other day, I put on my not that old TV. I never normally use it when I'm
here on my own as the screen is a little redundant. However it was dusty
inside it and as it got warm it made a smell not unlike that combination
of old fan heater and melting transformer varnish one gets on older gear.
No its flat screen, but anyway, eventually I forgot about it and yet
since then all I can smell is this smell. Its in my nose even if I'm in
another house.
Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.
Brian

A trick some equipment restorers use is pack it with deodourising kitty
litter.

Its mostly non smokers handling stuff from a smoker household, but should
work with other nasty niffs.

Fidelity CTVs were the undisputed kings of peculiar smells while warming up.
Philips TVs tried to keep up when they'd been stored in damp conditions.

Old July 21st 17, 09:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 21/07/2017 17:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
T'other day, I put on my not that old TV. I never normally use it when I'm
here on my own as the screen is a little redundant. However it was dusty
inside it and as it got warm it made a smell not unlike that combination of
old fan heater and melting transformer varnish one gets on older gear. No
its flat screen, but anyway, eventually I forgot about it and yet since
then all I can smell is this smell. Its in my nose even if I'm in another
house.
Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.
Brian

Dust is largely made up of skin particles that you've shed. The smell
you notice is that of burning skin. It's important for survival of the
species that you recognise it and dislike it.
Old July 22nd 17, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I remember those old Baird colour console sets used to have a wonderful
charred smell even when working normally and all those glowing little neons
on the pcbs were really cute as well.

"Ian Field" wrote in message

news

Old July 22nd 17, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Ah right, erm, however I fear its not my skin, perhaps its the skin of all
the flies, wasps and other critters that seem to like my house. Moths daddy
longlegs and goodness knows what else. I don't see them now but I do hear
them flying about.
Then there are the spiders, I wonder what burning web is like?
No I am hopeful the smell is beginning to wane now. However having just had
the gardener with his two stroke strimmers and chain saws and hedge trimmers
and posh lawn mower here, it has now been replaced by a kind of cut
greenerery and burned oily smell.

Old July 22nd 17, 09:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 21/07/2017 17:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.

The most likely explanation is that the smell has got into your clothing
and you are carrying it around with you.

I had a doctor's appointment last year, with a doctor I was seeing for
the first time. She asked me how many I smoked, and I told her I hadn't
smoked for over 40 years. She thought that unusual because she could
smell the smoke. It seems that earlier in the day I had been in the
company of a friend who smoked, and the smell had got into my clothes,
and that is why she assumed I smoked.

Something similar may have happened to you with the smell from the TV.

Old July 22nd 17, 06:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I remember those old Baird colour console sets used to have a wonderful
charred smell even when working normally and all those glowing little
neons on the pcbs were really cute as well.
Brian

Must've been before my time - some old oscilloscopes used neons in the
timebase astable. Sometimes also for voltage stabilisation.

Old July 22nd 17, 06:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

[...]

Like the time I was trying to adjust the horizontal frequency in an old
valve CTV and got an arc to my knuckle - didn't feel a thing till I noticed
the smell of burning flesh.

Old July 22nd 17, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Ah right, erm, however I fear its not my skin, perhaps its the skin of all
the flies, wasps and other critters that seem to like my house.

That's chitin.

Old July 22nd 17, 06:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 21/07/2017 17:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you
get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.

The most likely explanation is that the smell has got into your clothing
and you are carrying it around with you.

I had a doctor's appointment last year, with a doctor I was seeing for the
first time. She asked me how many I smoked, and I told her I hadn't
smoked for over 40 years. She thought that unusual because she could smell
the smoke. It seems that earlier in the day I had been in the company of
a friend who smoked, and the smell had got into my clothes, and that is
why she assumed I smoked.

Something similar may have happened to you with the smell from the TV.

At long last! - Smellyvision.