Wenvoe woes

Old August 6th 17, 09:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Wenvoe woes

We've just been staying in a holiday cottage west of Bristol. The TV
reception was poor - no signal from Mendip due to a hill being in the
way, so reception was from Wenvoe (about 30km west).

According to https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Wenvoe reception should
have been good, but it wasn't. There was nothing on Com 6, 7, and 8 -
none of the 3 TVs there would even register their existence. PSB1/BBCA
was very weak most of the time, with extreme pixellation and
intermittent sound (is there a technical term for those loud squeaks?).
Often there was no picture or sound on any of that Com's channels. There
were no radio stations available. PSB2 was similarly weak. Basically,
those Com's SD channels were essentially unviewable.

PSB3 was fine, with the HD channels for BBC1, 2, ITV1, Ch4 and Ch5
showing no breakup at all.

Com 5 was also OK, with no breakup at all, despite being at half the
power (50kW) of the other Coms. And, most annoying, local channel "Made
in Cardiff" came through loud and clear, even though only transmitting
at 10kW!

The aerial was a 5-bay (7-element in old money) x-beam feeding an SLX
6-output amp. In my opinion the aerial was misaligned, pointing up about
20 degrees, and south of the correct line to Wenvoe (the cottage next
door had perfect reception on SD with its 9-element x-beam).

Any comments on the poor SD reception?

--

Jeff
Old August 6th 17, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 06/08/2017 10:00, Jeff Layman wrote:

Any comments on the poor SD reception?

It is likely to be interference from other transmitters in Wales (or
else you were not actually receiving from Wenvoe for some of the channels).

Somebody I know lives just outside Weston Super Mare and he has to
retune everything manually or else he collects a mixed batch of channels
from three different transmitters, which then suffer from interference
from other (sometimes stronger) signals also reaching his aerial.

Old August 6th 17, 05:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 06/08/17 13:13, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
lid says...

The aerial was a 5-bay (7-element in old money) x-beam
feeding an SLX 6-output amp. In my opinion the aerial was
misaligned, pointing up about 20 degrees, and south of the
correct line to Wenvoe (the cottage next door had perfect
reception on SD with its 9-element x-beam).

Any comments on the poor SD reception?

Well, the aerial misalignment wouldn't have helped but are
you sure that the amplifier was working?

If it was accessible I'd have carried out two checks - is it
cold? (no power) and tried bypassing it by connecting the
input to one of the active outputs to see if it corrected
the problem on the set it fed.

Were the sets tuned to the correct transmitter? Assuming
that the good muxes came from Wenvoe - reception of "Made
in Cardiff" says that some of them were from Wenvoe but were
the poor/missing ones being attempted from Mendip?

The amp was working as far as I could tell. I retuned all the TVs on
Wednesday, but it made no difference to the poor reception. The main TV
was a Seiki(?), which had an HD tuner. The other two were identical
SD-only JVCs.

I had assumed that all reception was being attempted from Wenvoe, as the
local news on BBC and ITV was from Wales. But I suppose there could have
been interference from Mendip, as the map at
https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/mendip shows good reception where I
was. When I retuned, as far as I remember channel reception started in
the C40 region, which would have been Wenvoe, but I didn't notice what
happened in the high 40s and into the 50s, which could have been Mendip.
To me the puzzle is why Com 5 seemed to work ok when the other SD Coms
played up.

Unfortunately we left yesterday so I can't test anything!

--

Jeff
Old August 6th 17, 06:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 06/08/17 12:02, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 06/08/2017 10:00, Jeff Layman wrote:

Any comments on the poor SD reception?

It is likely to be interference from other transmitters in Wales (or
else you were not actually receiving from Wenvoe for some of the channels).

See my reply to Terry Casey

Somebody I know lives just outside Weston Super Mare and he has to
retune everything manually or else he collects a mixed batch of channels
from three different transmitters, which then suffer from interference
from other (sometimes stronger) signals also reaching his aerial.

I didn't attempt a manual tune. Maybe that would have been more informative.

--

Jeff
Old August 6th 17, 06:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 06/08/17 13:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 10:00:18 +0100, Jeff Layman

Any comments on the poor SD reception?

Nothing very helpful, I'm afraid, but your comment about pixellation
and squeaks on sound reminded of or the problem we had here recently.
We receive Freeview Lite from a relay station, that only transmits a
limited number of channels (you're not picking up a relay are you?),
but our pixellation and squeaks seem to have gone away since the
recent re-tune. Were your problems before or after the re-tune?

The retune on Wednesday made no difference. See my reply to Terry Casey
for more info.

--

Jeff
Old August 7th 17, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Somebody needs to get on the roof, and fit a decent aerial or realign etc
the old one.
I think Digital quality is a bit of a black art. My loft mounted one says
all the channels are from 100 to 70 percent with good quality when if you
actually try to watch said stuff some break up for no reason. Move the
aerial atiny bit and although no difference in quality, it works.
It would be very interesting to know how the error detection actually
works.

news