ITV Newsroom background

Old August 11th 17, 09:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Default ITV Newsroom background

In the ITV 'newsroom' which is mainly CGI, I find myself watching the
background more than the presenter. It's totally ludicrous, with hundreds of
screens and open laptops all showing different pictures, yet nobody watching
them. I look out for a screen featuring a man in a red lifejacket, soon
after the background has been started up. I wonder how long it runs before
repeating. Then again I have seen the whole 'newsroom' behind the 'glass'
miraculously replaced by a view of the Thames behind the same 'glass'.

There is a youtube video with Mary Nightingale, showing that only the
newsdesk is real, in front of a green screen.

ITV News must have a very low opinion of its audience.
--
Dave W

Old August 11th 17, 09:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Huge

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on August 18, 2017.

On 2017-08-11, Dave W wrote:
In the ITV 'newsroom' which is mainly CGI, I find myself watching the
background more than the presenter. It's totally ludicrous, with hundreds of
screens and open laptops all showing different pictures, yet nobody watching
them. I look out for a screen featuring a man in a red lifejacket, soon
after the background has been started up. I wonder how long it runs before
repeating. Then again I have seen the whole 'newsroom' behind the 'glass'
miraculously replaced by a view of the Thames behind the same 'glass'.

There is a youtube video with Mary Nightingale, showing that only the
newsdesk is real, in front of a green screen.

ITV News must have a very low opinion of its audience.

What amazes me is that you believed any of it in the first place.

--
Today is Pungenday, the 4th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
Old August 12th 17, 03:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Perhaps they have sacked all their scenery painters.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
news

Old August 12th 17, 03:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Yes its just production values really its cheap to do and so its done.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old August 12th 17, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Old August 12th 17, 09:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Huge

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on August 19, 2017.

"Huge" wrote in message
On 2017-08-11, Dave W wrote:
[...]

So why are you whinging about it?

--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 5th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
Celebrate Zaraday
Old August 12th 17, 11:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Do you recall those years ago, during Wimbledon those windows that were
supposed to show a view out over Wimbledon, and it might have worked except
for the time when the whole scene jolted several times, showing it to be
some remote camera somewhere being knocked.

I'm not sure why this sort of thing is done.
It reminds me of the old program ZCars.
they had the car in a studio with the slightly defocused back projected
moving scene behind it. There were obviously people on their hands and knees
wobbling the car a bit but the steering etc, inside did not agree with the
turns in the back projection. I used to have a good laugh back in the day.
Bit like Crosroads wobbly scenery and that painted curtain of a brick wall,
or Prisoner Cell Block H where the cells wobbled and nobody could remember
their lines.

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

Old August 12th 17, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

I remember being amazed at seeing how it was done on one of my
earliest days in the studios. For some scenes they had half a car
without wheels on a platform on springs. Just the cab; everything in
front of the windscreen and a little bit of the bonnet was missing, to
allow closer camera shots I suppose.

And Newtown Police Station was entirely painted in matt emulsion paint
with no glass in any of the windows.

Except for the dodgy back projection, none of this had been apparent
on screen. It was all 405 lines monochrome then of course. Whether the
deception would have stood up under today's HD colour photography I
rather doubt, but today's cameras are smaller anyway, so it's easier
to do car scenes in real cars.

Rod.

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:18:20 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Do you recall those years ago, during Wimbledon those windows that were
supposed to show a view out over Wimbledon, and it might have worked except
for the time when the whole scene jolted several times, showing it to be
some remote camera somewhere being knocked.

I'm not sure why this sort of thing is done.
It reminds me of the old program ZCars.
they had the car in a studio with the slightly defocused back projected
moving scene behind it. There were obviously people on their hands and knees
wobbling the car a bit but the steering etc, inside did not agree with the
turns in the back projection. I used to have a good laugh back in the day.
Bit like Crosroads wobbly scenery and that painted curtain of a brick wall,
or Prisoner Cell Block H where the cells wobbled and nobody could remember
their lines.

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

"Huge" wrote in message
On 2017-08-11, Dave W wrote:
[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Old August 12th 17, 11:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on August 19, 2017.

They have at least one room that is completely green on all surfaces. They
showed it being set up for an interview with somebody. Mrs May???

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:22:31 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes but not always. I think often they tend to use green screen so they can
replace the newsroom shots with something else.
They presumably need to make sure the presenter is not wearing green
though.

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old August 12th 17, 11:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on August 19, 2017.

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:35:16 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

I remember being amazed at seeing how it was done on one of my
earliest days in the studios. For some scenes they had half a car
without wheels on a platform on springs. Just the cab; everything in
front of the windscreen and a little bit of the bonnet was missing, to
allow closer camera shots I suppose.

And Newtown Police Station was entirely painted in matt emulsion paint
with no glass in any of the windows.

Except for the dodgy back projection, none of this had been apparent
on screen. It was all 405 lines monochrome then of course. Whether the
deception would have stood up under today's HD colour photography I
rather doubt, but today's cameras are smaller anyway, so it's easier
to do car scenes in real cars.

Some of Top Gear's scenes are made like this
--

Martin in Zuid Holland