Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Old August 25th 17, 08:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

On Friday, 25 August 2017 14:48:52 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Anyway, thinking about own brand. Why not just use Asda? I always wondered
why Tandy had so many brands. Radio Shack, Realistic etc,

Various reasons, it gives the economic advantages of own-brand with the more upmarket appearance of a shop selling a variety of brands, and helps draw customers away from minority branded goods to the retailer's own brands. It's harder for consumers to rate own-brands as value for money compared to other brands. And if one brand gets a bad reputation it can be easily replaced and causes less reputational harm to the parent brand.

Aldi and Lidl use the same concept. Tesco tried it for a while when they wanted products that were more expensive than Tesco Value but cheaper than Tesco 'Standard'.

Owain
Old August 25th 17, 08:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 25/08/2017 14:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
It made me laugh when Polaroid, or more rightly the Land family, won a
patent infringement suite over Kodaks instant picture cameras. Kodak,
although they used a different process, used the same basic idea and way of
implementing it. Now these days of course Kodak and Polaroid are no longer
functioning companies. Both have been overtaken by the digital way, even
though it was Kodak engineers who built the first ccd camera element. they
simply saw it as useful for things like satellites and defence.

You can still get instant picture cameras using FujiFilm Instax film, if
you like the nostalgia.

--
Max Demian
Old August 25th 17, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 25/08/2017 14:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
The trouble with the Heinz tv is that it only has 57 channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc
AKA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/57_Cha...d_Nothin%27_On)

Andy
Old August 25th 17, 09:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 25/08/2017 15:42, Indy Jess John wrote:
Kodak did make and sell a digital camera.¬* I bought one from Dixons in
2001.

I still have and use a Kodak DX6490 digital camera. It's only 4MP, which
is not a lot these days - but the glass is pretty good, certainly good
enough to blow up to A4. I've taken over 10,000 pictures with it. I
_think_ the counter has only gone around once...

The little lightweight one I bought when I left mine behind once has
dies at half the age. No backlight, and I must decide whether it's worth
replacing the screen when I get a (r)tooit

Andy
Old August 25th 17, 09:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
Polaroid was originally the company that made instant photographic
film and the cameras that used it. Now they seem to make everything,
mostly nothing to do with film at all. Most large retail places
nowadays have a name they just seem to have stuck on a lot of products
to make them their own brand by implying they all come from one
trusted source. In reality, my understanding is that they just come
from whichever Chinese sweatshop happens to be free this week, so
these "own brand" names although presumably intended to imply
consistency are no guarantee of it at all. Remember Matsui, for
example? Then there's PC World with their brand "AOC", which I've seen
explained as standing for "Any Old Crap" (though I'm sure that can't
be justified at all of course).

Maybe the marketing people think it's easier to adopt an existing name
that's already well known (regardless of what it's actually well known
for) than to try to invent a new one, and that lots of people will
think it's good and buy it anyway. Maybe they're right. Maybe your
prediction of a Heinz TV is not so far fetched after all. If I ever
see one, I'll remember who thought of it first.

There seems to be an epidemic of trusted brand names on any old crap.

I have a pack of "Kodak" batteries from £land - JCB, Panasonic, hitachi,
Philips - the list is endless.

Most of the big Japanese brands have outsourced to the cheapest production
facilities they could find - My Hitachi DAB/CD etc was a no name Chinese
job, and Hitachi didn't even know if any service info ever existed.

Old August 25th 17, 09:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 25/08/2017 14:44, Brian Gaff wrote:

Now these days of course Kodak and Polaroid are no longer
functioning companies. Both have been overtaken by the digital way

Kodak did make and sell a digital camera. I bought one from Dixons in
2001.

I salvaged a Kodak digital camera but never found any drivers - and it uses
a weird not quite SD card.

Old August 25th 17, 09:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 22:07:56 +0100, "johnt"
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

There is a review (of sorts) he
http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/...pport-warning/
.....but £299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
that you pay for what you get.

Well yea - they want people to send in their comments because ...
ermm ... they haven't reviewed it.

Which? don't have anything on the "Polaroid" TV range which is
annoying as they appear to be made by Vestel is quoted as:

The last Vestel TV I rescued from the bin room had a load of O/C LEDs in the
backlight - which shouldn't happen in a series chain...........

After labouriously seeking out and replacing a load of blown LEDs, a load
more had blown - but I cracked the glass in the struggle anyway.

Old August 26th 17, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:37:43 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 25/08/2017 12:19, AnthonyL wrote:

Given that other major consumer outlets would also use them a bit more
objective appraisal beyond Bill Wright's throwaway comment might be
more useful.

Like all of us I can only speak from personal experience. I saw no need
to flesh out my comment.

That's 'cause YOU know what's inside YOUR head. I've given up trying.

--
AnthonyL
Old August 26th 17, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"brightside S9" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 21:49:03 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Most of the big Japanese brands have outsourced to the cheapest production
facilities they could find - My Hitachi DAB/CD etc was a no name Chinese
job, and Hitachi didn't even know if any service info ever existed.

Some time ago I used the FCC number on a product to find the
manufacturer. See https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid
Whether that still gives the manufacturer of the final product I am no
longer sure.

There were lots of screws, so I started by peering through the vents with a
flashlight - and just happened to spot a bulged electrolytic.

Old August 27th 17, 12:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

Most of the big Japanese brands have outsourced to the cheapest production
facilities they could find - My Hitachi DAB/CD etc was a no name Chinese
job, and Hitachi didn't even know if any service info ever existed.

Some time ago I used the FCC number on a product to find the
manufacturer. See https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid
Whether that still gives the manufacturer of the final product I am no
longer sure.

There were lots of screws, so I started by peering through the vents with a
flashlight - and just happened to spot a bulged electrolytic.

You can sometimes find these with your nose - switch off first!