Samsung TV's "bricked"

Old August 25th 17, 11:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MR

Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/24/...icking-uk-tvs/

Oh well, they'd make a good fire guard or art installation.

MR
Old August 25th 17, 02:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well did not see a date on that article, but assuming its current. They are
in a whole lot of ****. The consumer law here will mean a lot of just bought
devices will be returned for a refund, leaving lots of suppliers with nearly
new unworking stock that cannot self fix.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the widespread hack bug that
Samsung has in their smart tvs? If they horridly fixed it without testing
this exactly the sort of thing you would expect.
I was talking to somebody the other day who tells me you can hack into a
Samsung tv on wifi if the user also has a certain make of kettle with
internet connectivity, as it has no password and can be connected to and
then reveals the net passwords of anything else connected.
So as usual your system is only as strong as its weakest link.
Lets hope, listening to today's news about testing driverless trucks
piloted by one driver that nobody hacks those.

Old August 25th 17, 04:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_3_]

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 15:06:21 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Lets hope, listening to today's news about testing driverless trucks
piloted by one driver that nobody hacks those.

According to today's 13:00 BBC One news, they will all have a driver but
the rear two just sit there. The lead truck generates a wifi hotspot
which allows the two rear trucks to drive very close to one another and
to respond faster than a human. Why not do away with the wifi control
link, do away with the two rear drivers, do away with the two rear cabs,
connect the rear two trailers to the driving truck with sturdy tow bars
and bingo!

We're moving into a new house next week with a central heating
controller which allows about a million combination of settings together
with an eBUS box which allows all the bits to communicate with one
another via a two-wire serial bus. For goodness sake, it's a kettle with
a pump!

I, not for the first time, despair.

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old August 25th 17, 05:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 17:46:31 +0100
Alan White wrote:

According to today's 13:00 BBC One news, they will all have a driver
but the rear two just sit there. The lead truck generates a wifi
hotspot which allows the two rear trucks to drive very close to one
another and to respond faster than a human. Why not do away with the
wifi control link, do away with the two rear drivers, do away with
the two rear cabs, connect the rear two trailers to the driving truck
with sturdy tow bars and bingo!

I had thought that, the Australians have them and call them Road
Trains. Like you, I cannot see any advantage of the proposed system
over the one already tried and tested.

--
Davey.
Old August 25th 17, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Davey wrote:

I had thought that, the Australians have them and call them Road
Trains. Like you, I cannot see any advantage of the proposed system
over the one already tried and tested.

I wouldn't expect the fuel savings to be /that/ much for a convoy of three.

The drivers will get used to just sitting there, doing nothing, and have
difficulty remaining alert enough to take over at a moment's notice when
a MegaBus overtakes and interferes with the convoy's WiFi hotspot.

Old August 25th 17, 05:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 18:15:26 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

I had thought that, the Australians have them and call them Road
Trains. Like you, I cannot see any advantage of the proposed system
over the one already tried and tested.

I wouldn't expect the fuel savings to be /that/ much for a convoy of
three.

The drivers will get used to just sitting there, doing nothing, and
have difficulty remaining alert enough to take over at a moment's
notice when a MegaBus overtakes and interferes with the convoy's WiFi
hotspot.

Just imagine the havoc that could be created if somebody hacked that
hotspot. Shudder.

--
Davey.
Old August 25th 17, 05:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Davey wrote:

[lorry convoys]

Just imagine the havoc that could be created if somebody hacked that
hotspot. Shudder.

Look out for 'cantennas' over lane 1 on motorway bridges ...

Old August 25th 17, 05:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Alan White wrote:

According to today's 13:00 BBC One news, they will all have a driver
but the rear two just sit there. The lead truck generates a wifi
hotspot which allows the two rear trucks to drive very close to one
another and to respond faster than a human. Why not do away with the
wifi control link, do away with the two rear drivers, do away with
the two rear cabs, connect the rear two trailers to the driving truck
with sturdy tow bars and bingo!

I had thought that, the Australians have them and call them Road
Trains. Like you, I cannot see any advantage of the proposed system
over the one already tried and tested.

Road trains in Australia are simply one tractor unit pulling two or
three trailers, not separate vehicles. As far as I remember, they are
not allowed inside cities or larger towns, and stop at areas outside,
where the trailers are split and additional tractor units connected to
take them into the urban areas.

I remember being parked at the side of the highway when one of these
road trains went past doing over 100kph. Even though I was in a big car
(a 4.2 litre Holden), it was bounced around by the air being forced out
of the way. I don't know if it is apocryphal or not, but I heard that
parked caravans have been wrecked after being sucked into the slipstream.

--

Jeff
Old August 25th 17, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Davey
writes
Alan White wrote:

According to today's 13:00 BBC One news, they will all have a driver
but the rear two just sit there. The lead truck generates a wifi
hotspot which allows the two rear trucks to drive very close to one
another and to respond faster than a human. Why not do away with the
wifi control link, do away with the two rear drivers, do away with
the two rear cabs, connect the rear two trailers to the driving truck
with sturdy tow bars and bingo!

I had thought that, the Australians have them and call them Road
Trains. Like you, I cannot see any advantage of the proposed system
over the one already tried and tested.

One problem could be how to deal with the trailers at the start end of
the journey. You would need special terminals (like railway stations) to
accommodate the length of the train. We don't have the wide open spaces
of Australia, so there might also be difficulties getting around the
bends and obstructions on our British roads.

--
Ian
Old August 25th 17, 06:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

news
Alan White wrote:

According to today's 13:00 BBC One news, they will all have a driver
but the rear two just sit there. The lead truck generates a wifi
hotspot which allows the two rear trucks to drive very close to one
another and to respond faster than a human. Why not do away with the
wifi control link, do away with the two rear drivers, do away with
the two rear cabs, connect the rear two trailers to the driving truck
with sturdy tow bars and bingo!

I had thought that, the Australians have them and call them Road
Trains. Like you, I cannot see any advantage of the proposed system
over the one already tried and tested.

Do they only form up into a road train on a road with more than one lane? Do
they separate such that there is space for a couple of cars in between them
on a one-lane road, to allow leapfrogging of one truck at a time? If they
remain as trains, I wouldn't like to be stuck behind one on a single-lane
road, doing significantly less than I want to do, and find that there's
never enough clear road to be able to stay on the wrong side of the road
long enough to overtake something which is the length of several artics.