BT Call Protect

Old September 9th 17, 12:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default BT Call Protect

Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.
Old September 9th 17, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 09/09/2017 13:37, Scott wrote:
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.

I have found it has reduced the number of nuisance calls considerably,
but I still get the occasional one that appears to have spoofed a UK number.
Old September 9th 17, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 13:57:27 +0100, Norman Wells
wrote:

On 09/09/2017 13:37, Scott wrote:
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.

I have found it has reduced the number of nuisance calls considerably,
but I still get the occasional one that appears to have spoofed a UK number.

Thanks. I meant to post this to uk.telecom but no harm done as good
advice is always dispensed here :-)
Old September 9th 17, 02:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 09/09/2017 13:37, Scott wrote:
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.

I have a spare mobile with a number I have never given to anybody.
It gets cold calls which I never answer. The caller number is stored
and I can look at who called. Most of them are withheld. The rest are
about four (false) numbers.

The usual arrangement mentioned in newsgroups is to buy the BT phone
that has call blocking[1], because that blocks specific numbers you put
in, allows through all calls from numbers in your callers list, and asks
withheld numbers to identify themselves, only allowing through any that
do. That type of phone works on anybody's phone service, and the
"identify yourself" feature is not part of the BT Call Protect service.

[1] I can't remember the type number, but no doubt someone who has got
one will chip in.

Old September 9th 17, 03:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 15:31:44 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

[...]

Is it Truecall? I looked at this but discovered I would probably have
to modify the wiring of the extensions, which I don't want to do. (If
you put the extensions through the unit does this mean if the unit
fails or there is a power cut you cannot make emergency calls?).

My thinking is that it should be perfectly possible to filter at the
'server end' - quite possbily using more up to date data - so I am
interested in Call Protect and looking for comments (albeit on the
wrong group).
Old September 9th 17, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

wrote:

[...]

I think Truecall is an intelligent box rather than a phone. I also think
that it doesn't do the "Identify yourself" challenge.

I had a look at BT DECT phones and picked one at random that claims to
have a Nuisance Call Blocker capability, but there are a range of these
now, so there is customer choice.
https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt8...3158-BV9T.html

It has a base station with the processing capability, and wireless
handsets for the people using the phone. You plug the base station into
any extension socket and the extra handsets just need a power supply
when charging.

While I agree that a power cut will disable the base station, it will do
that to every make of DECT phone,so it is not specific to the BT call
blocking variety.

I have a DECT phone (Panasonic rather than BT) which I know will die in
a power cut. I also have a cheap wired-in phone which can be used for
emergency calls during a power cut, drawing on whatever power the
exchange sends down the phone wires, that will plug into any convenient
extension. It is always sensible to have one like that as well as the
more useful mains dependent type.

Old September 9th 17, 04:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On 2017-09-09, Scott wrote:
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.

We went through a week or so of nuisance calls about a month ago. I was
unspeakably vile to all of them (channelling Ramsay Bolton, if you're
a GoT fan) and it stopped.

I've just had one from 'the insurance company' about my accident. He
asked me to tell him what happened. When I got to the bit about the
other vehicle being a UFO piloted by a martian looking like a
character from Dr Who, he hung up.
Old September 9th 17, 05:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

wrote:

The usual arrangement mentioned in newsgroups is to buy the BT phone
that has call blocking[1], because that blocks specific numbers you put
in, allows through all calls from numbers in your callers list, and asks
withheld numbers to identify themselves, only allowing through any that
do. That type of phone works on anybody's phone service, and the
"identify yourself" feature is not part of the BT Call Protect service.

[1] I can't remember the type number, but no doubt someone who has got
one will chip in.

It's called "BT Callguard", and is a feature of the 8500 and 8600
phones, and apparently several others now, since I bought mine. A
quick search on Amazon suggests that it's becoming standard on BT
phones. You won't need to sign up for any extra services if you have
one of these. The phone does it all.

The system works best with CLI, because calls from people in your
phone list will be identified and passed through as normal without the
announcement asking them to say who they are, but it's quite capable
of working without it.

I haven't had to answer one single spam call since I got my phone
several years ago, literally none whatsoever. Their numbers (when not
withheld) appear in the call log, so I know when I've received some,
but every single one of them so far has given up at the Callguard
announcement. If a caller doesn't identify themselves at this point,
the phone doesn't even ring. The system really works.

Old September 9th 17, 05:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]

On 09/09/2017 13:37, Scott wrote:
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.

I have a Panasonic DECT with call blocking, I don't get the BT list but
the personal one seems effective these days. Still get the odd
"withheld" and "international" which I ignore. I can hear the
answerphone so if its something important I can pick it up..

Dave
Old September 9th 17, 06:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Scott
writes
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.

I think I've only had two spam calls since I signed up for Call Protect
when it started, which I think must be something like a year or so ago
now. That's probably a long enough period to suggest that it's pretty
effective, rather than just having been a temporary lull in such calls
like I've experienced a few times previously.
--
John Hall
"Three o'clock is always too late or too early