Advice requested: TV signal strength meter

Old September 11th 17, 08:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

Default Advice requested: TV signal strength meter

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 21:19:48 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

http://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/f...re/page13.html

I'll endorse the other recommendations for Fringe - simple to use and
effective.
Old September 11th 17, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Woody
wrote:

"Eddie King" wrote in message
Am 10.09.2017 um 13:20 schrieb Woody:

One of these should do from a reputable manufacturer.

http://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/signalfinders.html

Thanks Woody, they look very wideband to me. I was looking for
something possibly with a PLL Tuner sort of set-up, ie channel or at
least channel group selective.

You and me alike brother. There are such devices but you are looking
into four figures for all singing and dancing (as I used before I
retired from Arqiva) and there are others such as used by aerial
installers but you are still talking in the north end of the hundreds.

Would that I could afford or justify one!

I bought a 'FUNCube Pro Plus' and use that to measure the DTTV spectrum.
Cost far less than "four figures".

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/funcube/FUNcalibrate.html

I then use it to do swept spectra. However you need to use it with a
computer and suitable software.

The 'fringe' meters are OK though

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/DVB/FringeCal.html

Old September 12th 17, 01:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Eddie King[_2_]

Am 10.09.2017 um 22:19 schrieb Bill Wright:
On 10/09/2017 11:20, Eddie King wrote:
Hi all,

could you please recommend a "budget" priced and reasonably accurate
TV signal strenth meter for aligning aerials for terrestrial TV.

All comments gratefully received.

Many thanks
Eddie King

http://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/f...re/page13.html

These are very good. Much better than the similar ones. Yes really.

Other than that if you want a tunable one that reads digital quality etc
it will cost a lot more.

Bill

Hey guys,

many thanks for the useful information. Since the fringe meters seem to
do the job I have one further question before buying. I note that the
UHF and VHF/UHF models are the same price.

Could it therefore be assumed that the UHF only model has better specs
than the VHF/UHF model?

AlthoughI need it primarily for UK installation, living in Germany where
VHF and UHF are used, the combined model may be useful.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old September 12th 17, 06:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 12/09/2017 14:40, Eddie King wrote:

many thanks for the useful information. Since the fringe meters seem to
do the job I have one further question before buying. I note that the
UHF and VHF/UHF models are the same price.

Could it therefore be assumed that the UHF only model has better specs
than the VHF/UHF model?

It's just a different filter on the input. If you use the VHF/UHF one
for UHF it might get snarled up by strong VHF (comms, FM/DAB, etc)
although these would have to be very strong if you are using a UHF-only
aerial. If there is a problem fit a UHF bandpass filter or 470MHz
highpass filter.

AlthoughI need it primarily for UK installation, living in Germany where
VHF and UHF are used, the combined model may be useful.

If the VHF TV signals were coming from different directions and there
was FM and/or DAB about it might confuse the meter and you. Same applies
to UHF of course except that normally three to eight muxes all come from
the same tx and the aerials are far more directional. On UHF the only
thing that seriously confuses these meters is 4G.

Bill

Any ideas?

Yes

Old September 13th 17, 04:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Eddie King[_2_]

Am 12.09.2017 um 20:02 schrieb Bill Wright:
[...]

Thanks for that, Bill