Advice requested: TV signal strength meter

Old September 10th 17, 11:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Eddie King[_2_]

Default Advice requested: TV signal strength meter

Hi all,

could you please recommend a "budget" priced and reasonably accurate TV
signal strenth meter for aligning aerials for terrestrial TV.

All comments gratefully received.

Many thanks
Eddie King

Old September 10th 17, 12:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Eddie King" wrote in message
doh - replace strenth with strength

Am 10.09.2017 um 12:20 schrieb Eddie King:
Hi all,

could you please recommend a "budget" priced and reasonably
accurate TV signal strenth meter for aligning aerials for
terrestrial TV.

All comments gratefully received.

One of these should do from a reputable manufacturer.

http://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/signalfinders.html

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old September 10th 17, 02:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

These days it seems mor to be the quality and lack of interference that
matters to receivers.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old September 10th 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Eddie King[_2_]

Am 10.09.2017 um 13:20 schrieb Woody:
"Eddie King" wrote in message
doh - replace strenth with strength

Am 10.09.2017 um 12:20 schrieb Eddie King:
Hi all,

could you please recommend a "budget" priced and reasonably
accurate TV signal strenth meter for aligning aerials for
terrestrial TV.

All comments gratefully received.

One of these should do from a reputable manufacturer.

http://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/signalfinders.html

Thanks Woody,
they look very wideband to me. I was looking for something possibly with
a PLL Tuner sort of set-up, ie channel or at least channel group selective.

Old September 10th 17, 04:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Eddie King" wrote in message
doh - replace strenth with strength

Am 10.09.2017 um 12:20 schrieb Eddie King:
Hi all,

could you please recommend a "budget" priced and reasonably
accurate TV signal strenth meter for aligning aerials for
terrestrial TV.

All comments gratefully received.

One of these should do from a reputable manufacturer.

http://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/signalfinders.html

Thanks Woody,
they look very wideband to me. I was looking for something possibly
with a PLL Tuner sort of set-up, ie channel or at least channel
group selective.

You and me alike brother. There are such devices but you are looking
into four figures for all singing and dancing (as I used before I
retired from Arqiva) and there are others such as used by aerial
installers but you are still talking in the north end of the hundreds.

Would that I could afford or justify one!

Old September 10th 17, 06:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 12:22:01 +0200, Eddie King
wrote:

doh - replace strenth with strength

Especially footballers and managers. They've been saying it for
decades.
Old September 10th 17, 09:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/09/2017 11:20, Eddie King wrote:
Hi all,

could you please recommend a "budget" priced and reasonably accurate TV
signal strenth meter for aligning aerials for terrestrial TV.

All comments gratefully received.

Many thanks
Eddie King

http://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/f...re/page13.html

These are very good. Much better than the similar ones. Yes really.

Other than that if you want a tunable one that reads digital quality etc
it will cost a lot more.

Old September 10th 17, 09:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/09/2017 14:01, Brian-Gaff wrote:
These days it seems mor to be the quality and lack of interference that
matters to receivers.
Brian

That can certainly be the case, especially in densely populated areas.
However the first thing to do is maximise the desired signal. A simple
meter can help do that.

It's essential to fit a 4G filter on the input of a small non-tunable
meter, unless you are really out in the wilds.

Old September 10th 17, 09:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

n 10/09/2017 16:45, Eddie King wrote:

Thanks Woody,
they look very wideband to me. I was looking for something possibly with
a PLL Tuner sort of set-up, ie channel or at least channel group selective.

I could sell you a second hand analogue one. It reads digital signals
but you have to apply a correction factor.

Or you could make one. Basically you use an old style tuner and read the
voltage on the agc line. It's quite easy.

Or
http://www.promaxelectronics.com/dow.../TVHUNTERp.pdf