Singapore F1 1st Practice - strange problem with recording

Old September 15th 17, 07:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

Default Singapore F1 1st Practice - strange problem with recording

I record the F1 GP on two boxes, the Virgin Tivo and the FreeSat Humax.

In both cases FP1 stopped about 2 minutes in.

On the Tivo it looked as though there should be about 1 hour 45 minutes
but it wouldn't skip past the first couple of minutes.

Has anyone else encountered this or am I the only one watching F1?

Oh, FP2 was recorded O.K.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old September 15th 17, 08:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Maybe it was being done with one of them Lemon Powered clocks?
Hides behind sofa.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old September 16th 17, 07:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 15/09/2017 20:33, David wrote:
I record the F1 GP on two boxes, the Virgin Tivo and the FreeSat Humax.

In both cases FP1 stopped about 2 minutes in.

On the Tivo it looked as though there should be about 1 hour 45 minutes
but it wouldn't skip past the first couple of minutes.

Has anyone else encountered this or am I the only one watching F1?

Oh, FP2 was recorded O.K.

Cheers

Dave R

Most PVRs these days look for Start Of Programme and End of Programme
signals in the broadcast stream, because that is how they find the start
and end of programmes that run late. Sometimes these signals get
wrongly set.

I have had a recording set for a BBC programme that was supposed to run
for an hour, and when I played it back I got a reminder to buy a
television licence and a trailer for a programme to be broadcast the
next day and nothing else - 3 minutes of recording that stopped just as
the programme I wanted to record started.

You may have had something similar for FP1.

Old September 17th 17, 11:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 19:33:02 +0000, David wrote:

I record the F1 GP on two boxes, the Virgin Tivo and the FreeSat Humax.

In both cases FP1 stopped about 2 minutes in.

On the Tivo it looked as though there should be about 1 hour 45 minutes
but it wouldn't skip past the first couple of minutes.

Has anyone else encountered this or am I the only one watching F1?

Oh, FP2 was recorded O.K.

Just realised that we had a power blip that morning.
I didn't initially consider it because I thought it was well before FP1
but it seems a logical explanation.

Surprised it didn't pick up and record the rest when the power came back
on, though.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old September 17th 17, 05:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
David wrote:

[power blip]

Surprised it didn't pick up and record the rest when the power came back
on, though.

If it's anything like Topfield PVRs (in their native state, can't speak
for MyStuff additions), then it considers the job is sufficiently "done"
once it starts recording.

If something crashes the box, the recording is truncated/trashed at the
point of crash/power loss, and it sees no need to do further work.

Indeed, once a timer turns into an "active recording" slot, it's *gone*
from the list of timers, so it wouldn't know to continue
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old September 19th 17, 02:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On 17 Sep 2017 11:39:12 GMT
David wrote:

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 19:33:02 +0000, David wrote:

I record the F1 GP on two boxes, the Virgin Tivo and the FreeSat
Humax.

In both cases FP1 stopped about 2 minutes in.

On the Tivo it looked as though there should be about 1 hour 45
minutes but it wouldn't skip past the first couple of minutes.

Has anyone else encountered this or am I the only one watching F1?

Oh, FP2 was recorded O.K.

Just realised that we had a power blip that morning.
I didn't initially consider it because I thought it was well before
FP1 but it seems a logical explanation.

Surprised it didn't pick up and record the rest when the power came
back on, though.

Cheers

Dave R

I have a UPS before the recorder for just this reason. It can't run the
antenna amp, but it keeps the PVR happy for when the power is restored.

--
Davey.
Old September 19th 17, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 19/09/2017 15:04, Davey wrote:

I have a UPS before the recorder for just this reason. It can't run the
antenna amp, but it keeps the PVR happy for when the power is restored.

1. You could get a line powered amp (they accept 12VDC from any of the
outputs or a designated one)
2. What would happen to the PVR if it had its power interrupted? Mine
don't seem to mind, and we have lots of power cuts.

Old September 19th 17, 10:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

2. What would happen to the PVR if it had its power interrupted? Mine
don't seem to mind, and we have lots of power cuts.

Ultimately it's a computer, and if it's writing to the hard drive
when you cut the power there's a small chance of data corruption.

If you are lucky, the equivalent of CHKDSK/fsck will run on power
up and clean up any mess, leaving you with a truncated recording,
possibly playable.

If you are unlucky, something will get overwritten with garbage
and the disk will suddenly look like "Hey! Do you want to format
this?", losing all content.

If you are really unlucky, the drive will end up with some bad
sectors in, and therefore will need to map them out at some point.

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old September 20th 17, 02:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 19/09/2017 23:01, Mike wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

2. What would happen to the PVR if it had its power interrupted? Mine
don't seem to mind, and we have lots of power cuts.

Ultimately it's a computer, and if it's writing to the hard drive
when you cut the power there's a small chance of data corruption.

If you are lucky, the equivalent of CHKDSK/fsck will run on power
up and clean up any mess, leaving you with a truncated recording,
possibly playable.

If you are unlucky, something will get overwritten with garbage
and the disk will suddenly look like "Hey! Do you want to format
this?", losing all content.

If you are really unlucky, the drive will end up with some bad
sectors in, and therefore will need to map them out at some point.

I must be a fabulously lucky guy then, because I have three Humax
machines in use and we have power interruptions of varying duration and
type about several times a day, and I've never had a problem with the PVRs.

I should mention that we are at the end of a LV line that is partly
underground and partly overhead. The electricity people's drawings are
not completely accurate. We seem to go through periods when there are a
lot of brief power cuts and a few long ones. Earlier this year it got
really bad, then it went off altogether. Eventually a 'burn out' was
discovered near the sub-station. As it stands at the moment we are
getting maybe a dozen brief cuts each day. They last from momentary to
ten seconds. Two days ago a really weird one happened. You know that
thing where you turn something on and it does come on but immediately
goes off and so do the lights and everything else? Well that happened
but all I had turned on was a UPS that had no load. Everything went off
in the house. After half a minute it all came back on. Coincidence or
wot? It's normal that when we turn the kettle or something on all the
lights go dim for a second. We are always getting things bust by these
power peculiarities. CCTV, CFLs, floodlights, etc. I have an expensive
UPS for the CCTV but quite often these outages confuse it. Also it goes
to boost and buck quite often, and usually the incoming mains is up to
about 255V.