BBC second-hand adverts

Old September 26th 17, 08:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default BBC second-hand adverts

On BBC Business Live, they seem to like showing a web browser scrolling
through e.g. newspaper articles, complete with whatever adverts happen
to get displayed in their browser.

Haven't they heard of adblock, or considered zooming in to just the
articles text/image column rather than the whole page? Maybe Biddy
Baxter could advise them on obscuring brand names?

Old September 26th 17, 08:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:02:36 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

On BBC Business Live, they seem to like showing a web browser scrolling
through e.g. newspaper articles, complete with whatever adverts happen
to get displayed in their browser.

Haven't they heard of adblock, or considered zooming in to just the
articles text/image column rather than the whole page? Maybe Biddy
Baxter could advise them on obscuring brand names?

I wonder if they've considered just showing their own news rather than
other people's. If broadcast news shows us what's on the web, and web
news pages show video clips from broadcasts, doesn't that mean the
whole system up its own backside?

Old September 26th 17, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On BBC Business Live, they seem to like showing a web browser
scrolling through e.g. newspaper articles, complete with whatever
adverts happen to get displayed in their browser.

Haven't they heard of adblock, or considered zooming in to just the
articles text/image column rather than the whole page? Maybe Biddy
Baxter could advise them on obscuring brand names?

Ah, the old 'sticky-backed plastic' bit eh?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old September 26th 17, 10:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Martin wrote:

Smart newspaper owners don't allow Adblock

Mostly they're not smart enough yet, just add extra rules to hide the
whining popups ...
Old September 26th 17, 11:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:24:02 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:02:36 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

On BBC Business Live, they seem to like showing a web browser scrolling
through e.g. newspaper articles, complete with whatever adverts happen
to get displayed in their browser.

Haven't they heard of adblock, or considered zooming in to just the
articles text/image column rather than the whole page? Maybe Biddy
Baxter could advise them on obscuring brand names?

Smart newspaper owners don't allow Adblock

If I can't use an adblocker then I won't view the site.

Old September 26th 17, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On 2017-09-26, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:02:36 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

On BBC Business Live, they seem to like showing a web browser scrolling
through e.g. newspaper articles, complete with whatever adverts happen
to get displayed in their browser.

Haven't they heard of adblock, or considered zooming in to just the
articles text/image column rather than the whole page? Maybe Biddy
Baxter could advise them on obscuring brand names?

Smart newspaper owners don't allow Adblock

I never return to any site that has an Adblock blocker, so they're
cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

They're good at that. If I see an ad that irritates me (and most do)
then they go on my blacklist so I make sure I'll never buy from them.

Old September 26th 17, 03:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Luckily very few advertisers consider the blind either
In this case though many sites if used with common ad blockers can refuse
to show you anything.
I've banged on about the way adverts in pages ruins accessibility for the
blind user and since we are talking adverts, why are so many commercials on
the itv and other stations completely devoid of any way for a listener to
hear what the product might be?

news

Old September 26th 17, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well that depends. I brought this up recently with a regional publisher and
they said they would get back to me, which then never of course did. I
maintain that adverts for a blind reader, because they are not vetted for
compatibility with screenreaders undo all the good accessability work done
by the orignial web designer and hence we cannot use the site. If we block
the ads it won't let us in, if we enable them we cannot read the site
without being unceremoniously being redirected to another part of the page
for no good reason.

The only way some people do it is to use one computer like a virtual server
then block the content from that server instead. What a mess.
brrian

wrote:

On BBC Business Live, they seem to like showing a web browser scrolling
through e.g. newspaper articles, complete with whatever adverts happen
to get displayed in their browser.

Haven't they heard of adblock, or considered zooming in to just the
articles text/image column rather than the whole page? Maybe Biddy
Baxter could advise them on obscuring brand names?

Smart newspaper owners don't allow Adblock
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old September 26th 17, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The problem with adverts is that the site would become a paid for service if
the advertisers did not support it. It is a tough one but it has so many
drawbacks, I'm thinking charged for services would be norm with proper
privacy.

That way we would all know the true costs of stuff.

Old September 26th 17, 03:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

the site would become a paid for service if the advertisers did not
support it.

I've noticed on the All4 streaming service, it gives you a countdown
timer to the end of the enforced ad-break, so you know if you've only
got time for a **** or plenty of time to empty the bins, lock the doors
and get a drink.

When are Channel4 planning on introducing this handy new feature on
their live channels?