BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

Old September 26th 17, 01:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
larkim

Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed
the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?
Old September 26th 17, 01:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 06:36:16 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 13:49:14 UTC+1, larkim wrote:
Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed
the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?

The bandwidth to put every regional channel on HD on satellite would cost .

So we're effectively going to be limited to an incomplete broadcasting
system for ever?

They'll have to finish the HD system before they switch the SD system
off, otherwise the local broadcast centres will be generating
programmes that nobody can watch. You'd think that somebody important
would have thought about all this, but who knows...

Old September 26th 17, 02:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

larkim wrote:

the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.
When will this ever arrive!!??!?

Pick a random region each day, and broadcast that instead of the farting
hippos etc.

Old September 26th 17, 03:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"larkim" wrote in message
Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed
the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?

While in the ideal world *everything* would be HD, including local news, I
don't mind them saying "we'll never be able to do it" as long as they
broadcast the SD local news programme on the HD channel, instead of a static
caption saying "Only available on the SD channel" which means you need to
tune from BBC1 HD to BBC1 SD and then back again if you want to watch the
national news, the local news and then the next programme in succession.

It is better to broadcast a lower-def programme than no programme at all on
an HD channel.

Old September 26th 17, 03:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:13:13 +0100
"NY" wrote:

"larkim" wrote in message
Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully
deployed the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?

While in the ideal world *everything* would be HD, including local
news, I don't mind them saying "we'll never be able to do it" as long
as they broadcast the SD local news programme on the HD channel,
instead of a static caption saying "Only available on the SD channel"
which means you need to tune from BBC1 HD to BBC1 SD and then back
again if you want to watch the national news, the local news and then
the next programme in succession.

It is better to broadcast a lower-def programme than no programme at
all on an HD channel.

Now that is sensible answer. I have not a care if local news is shown
in HD or not, but the current system is useless.

--
Davey.
Old September 26th 17, 04:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 05:49:12 -0700, larkim wrote:

Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed
the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?

Mark Carver has explained this a while ago, I expect he'll be along in a
minute to tell us again.

IIRC it's because of the cost of upgrading the regions and the added
complexity in coding all the muxes. Funny thing is ITV manage to do it.
Is this because there are fewer ITV regions than BBC?

--
TOJ.
Old September 26th 17, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jonathan[_2_]

"NY" wrote:

"larkim" wrote in message
[...]

And on my HD TV we can't tell the difference, so we watch everything in SD!

Jonathan

Old September 26th 17, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

Could it not simply be done by staggering the news for local areas?

I'm sorry, we now interrupt StrictlyBakeIsland as it's time for the news
in your area