Does BBC track what you have watched on iPlayer ?

Old September 28th 17, 01:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default Does BBC track what you have watched on iPlayer ?

Phi wrote:

Does BBC track what you have watched on iPlayer ?

That's why they require a sign-in on phones/tablets/browsers, still
optional on smart TVs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/account-signin
Old September 28th 17, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

I only watch certain BBC programmes on iPlayer through a browser. I have
noticed recently on the pre-schedule page listing recent programmes, there
are none displayed that I have watched.

I can't think they are that sophisticated, because they can't remember that
I have a licence.

Old September 28th 17, 05:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I thought they have a cookie set on your machine for this purpose.
its a pity they don't do the same with the licence, if they are not going
to do this what is the point of logging in in the first place.

news

Old September 28th 17, 06:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 13:13:51 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

I only watch certain BBC programmes on iPlayer through a browser. I have
noticed recently on the pre-schedule page listing recent programmes, there
are none displayed that I have watched.

I can't think they are that sophisticated, because they can't remember that
I have a licence.

I think there is an option you can opt into or out of on the BBC site
to personalise or not your experience. I have opted out.
Old September 29th 17, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tom Harvey

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I thought they have a cookie set on your machine for this purpose.
its a pity they don't do the same with the licence, if they are not going
to do this what is the point of logging in in the first place.

I don't think it can be cookie based. Mine lists things watched on my
laptop, desktop, smart TV and my son's android tablet as recently
watched. I don't think that they can share cookie information between
these devices so surely must be stored server side in my account.

--
Tom Harvey
Old September 29th 17, 03:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Phi" wrote in message
news
I only watch certain BBC programmes on iPlayer through a browser. I have
noticed recently on the pre-schedule page listing recent programmes,
there are none displayed that I have watched.

I suspect that the information is stored in a cookie on your machine

thus the BBC have no access to it

I can't think they are that sophisticated, because they can't remember
that I have a licence.

It could have expired

tim

They wouldn't know.

Old September 29th 17, 07:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Phi" wrote in message
news

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Phi" wrote in message
news
I only watch certain BBC programmes on iPlayer through a browser. I have
noticed recently on the pre-schedule page listing recent programmes,
there are none displayed that I have watched.

I suspect that the information is stored in a cookie on your machine

thus the BBC have no access to it

I can't think they are that sophisticated, because they can't remember
that I have a licence.

It could have expired

tim

They wouldn't know.

I know they wouldn't

which is why they don't store your previous claim that you have one

tim

Old September 30th 17, 01:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Phi" wrote in message
news

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Phi" wrote in message
news I only watch certain BBC programmes on iPlayer through a browser. I
have noticed recently on the pre-schedule page listing recent
programmes, there are none displayed that I have watched.

I suspect that the information is stored in a cookie on your machine

thus the BBC have no access to it

I can't think they are that sophisticated, because they can't remember
that I have a licence.

It could have expired

tim

They wouldn't know.

I know they wouldn't

which is why they don't store your previous claim that you have one

tim

More fool them.