Cold caller

Old October 3rd 17, 04:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Cold caller

Hello? [broken English]
Hello? [me]
Hello, my name is Karen. The government are giving grants for home
improvements to people who are on benefits. Is there anyone in your
house who receives benefits?
Yes, both of us.
What benefits do you receive?
Well, the fact is... I'm not sure I can tell you...
I need to know what benefits you receive.
OK, well, thing is like, it's a special payment for people who have
murdered an estate agent.
I'm sorry, what you say?
It's a special payment for people who have murdered an estate agent. I
murdered three so I get three lots of money.
Hello, my name is Karen. The government are giving grants for home
improvements to people who are on benefits. Is there anyone in your
house who receives benefits?
Yes I just said, me and the missus both get benefits. I get murderers'
allowance and she gets arsonist payment.
This call is recorded, I should tell you that fact.
Oh good. Will I be a the telly?
We will tell the government what you have said and you will be in big
trouble.
She rung off.

This was on speakerphone and had Oscar (8) in stitches.

Old October 3rd 17, 06:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes I no longer get these, but when a lady once asked me if I was eligible
for a grant, I told here I'd rather it was a nice sexy Sophia instead. She
put the phone down.

news

Old October 3rd 17, 09:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

On 03/10/2017 05:08, Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Glad to see you have not lost your touch Bill. Now you have ll this time
on your hands what about telling us the long awaited story of your trip
to the Emerald Isle?

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Old October 4th 17, 02:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hey, last night I got a call from a bloke called Chris with a suspicious
Chinese/American accent wanting to do a survey about Aquariums. Like why?
I do despair sometimes. He had hung on and put his name into my true call
device so he was not in a hurry. I basically told him his call was very
fishy and he did not get the joke but still rang off when I told him no and
I don't keep fish. I feel sure he rang the wrong number which makes me
wonder if somebody is deliberately giving these people leads to random
numbers. His number came back to a mobile number which when rang back said
it was invalid.

I'm sure many jokes could have been made up but really , what can one say
about these folk.

o.uk...

Old October 4th 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 15:25:45 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Hey, last night I got a call from a bloke called Chris with a suspicious
Chinese/American accent wanting to do a survey about Aquariums. Like why?
I do despair sometimes. He had hung on and put his name into my true call
device so he was not in a hurry. I basically told him his call was very
fishy and he did not get the joke but still rang off when I told him no and
I don't keep fish. I feel sure he rang the wrong number which makes me
wonder if somebody is deliberately giving these people leads to random
numbers. His number came back to a mobile number which when rang back said
it was invalid.

Unfortunately many cold callers spoof their CLID so you can't tell
where they're calling from. My advice is to tell them to f**k off.

Old October 4th 17, 07:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Hey, last night I got a call from a bloke called Chris with a suspicious
Chinese/American accent wanting to do a survey about Aquariums.

A long time ago i got a sales call from someone in America who wanted to
know my bank account number.

I kept him talking so long I was getting seriously bored with the
conversation.

he had one more go at getting my account number before I reminded him
Britain wasn't a local call rate from America.

Old October 4th 17, 07:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

wrote:

Hey, last night I got a call from a bloke called Chris with a suspicious
Chinese/American accent wanting to do a survey about Aquariums. Like why?
I do despair sometimes. He had hung on and put his name into my true call
device so he was not in a hurry. I basically told him his call was very
fishy and he did not get the joke but still rang off when I told him no
and
I don't keep fish. I feel sure he rang the wrong number which makes me
wonder if somebody is deliberately giving these people leads to random
numbers. His number came back to a mobile number which when rang back said
it was invalid.

Unfortunately many cold callers spoof their CLID so you can't tell
where they're calling from. My advice is to tell them to f**k off.

An ex customer (didn't pay his bill) pocket dialled me once. He hid CLID but
I recognised him talking in the background - so I put the handset on the
shelf and got back to the job in hand.

Old October 5th 17, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 20:19:46 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Hey, last night I got a call from a bloke called Chris with a suspicious
Chinese/American accent wanting to do a survey about Aquariums.

A long time ago i got a sales call from someone in America who wanted to
know my bank account number.

I kept him talking so long I was getting seriously bored with the
conversation.

he had one more go at getting my account number before I reminded him
Britain wasn't a local call rate from America.

Why would he care? He's not paying the bill.

Old October 5th 17, 04:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes someone who owed me money did this once. He was obviously in a pub. I left the phone in another room and I think it ran for a bit over an hour before his credit ran out...
Old October 5th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 20:19:50 UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Hey, last night I got a call from a bloke called Chris with a suspicious
Chinese/American accent wanting to do a survey about Aquariums.

A long time ago i got a sales call from someone in America who wanted to
know my bank account number.

I kept him talking so long I was getting seriously bored with the
conversation.

he had one more go at getting my account number before I reminded him
Britain wasn't a local call rate from America.

An issue once, but barely any more now: -

1927 £15 for [min] 3 minutes - probably about equivalent to about £200 per minute now.
1927 £5 for three minutes.
price fell gradually until ITD was introduced ~1960 and then more steeply
1971 £1 per minute (~= £20 now)
1985 60p per minute (~= £2 now)
2000 15p per minute (~20p now)
now 1.5p per minute (local calls are 1.2p)