coverage in Europe from the UK Freesat and Sky satellite clusternominally at 28E

Old October 7th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default coverage in Europe from the UK Freesat and Sky satellite clusternominally at 28E

Does anyone have a source for up to date info about this? I know things
have changed in recent years.

Old October 7th 17, 04:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have a source for up to date info about this? I know
things have changed in recent years.

You will find the UK footprint at
http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/footprints/Astra-2F-UK.html
which will give you a good idea. You should be able to receive a
useable signal on a 60cm ovoid dish on the 50 line and with care and a
good receiver quite a bit outside it. Two years ago I had no problem
receiving at Eberbach about 15m ENE of Heidelberg in Germany which is
outside line and at a site near Autun which lies between Macon and
Sancerre which is the same. You just need a good means of signal
detection, a good compass (or Sat Director on your (Android) phone)
and quite a bit of patience.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old October 7th 17, 11:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Thanks Martin and Woody.

Bill

xxxx
Old October 8th 17, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Eddie King[_2_]

Am 07.10.2017 um 16:29 schrieb Bill Wright:
Does anyone have a source for up to date info about this? I know things
have changed in recent years.

Bill

Bill not a source, but personal experience which might help.

I'm located approximately 52° 20' N and 09° 40' E. I am using a 110cm
Triax Dish with a quad LNB chosen for best results on my SatLink meter
(strength and S/N), not lowest noise factor!

When Astra 2D was still aoround things were fairly good regarding the UK
spot beam. Since the change to Astra 2E, F or G - I have lost track
which is used, the UK spotbeam seems to be considerably tighter.

At this location, reception is generally OK but there is no margin for
losses (caused eg. by bad weather) at all. Additionally, the signal
deteriorates in the evening going as far as losing all reception of the
UK spotbeam. This is sporadic and annoying when viewing one of the few
programs worth watching. First of all the sound splutters, video starts
to pixellate and within a few minutes - nothing

Initially I was thinking of upgrading to a 150cm dish to give me 2-3dB
more margin, but recently, considering how UK TV (which I for a longtime
considered to be among the best) has gone downhill, nowadays BBC1
generally only shows dross, I don't think I'll bother, relying more and
more on my PVR recordings.

I know that moving further to the east reception drops out rapidly, so I
consider myself to be on the very edge of the footprint. The same
applies when you go further south.

Just my twopenny worth.
Old October 8th 17, 11:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 10:48:48 +0200, Eddie King
wrote:

Am 07.10.2017 um 16:29 schrieb Bill Wright:
Does anyone have a source for up to date info about this? I know
things
have changed in recent years.

Bill

Bill not a source, but personal experience which might help.

I'm located approximately 52 20' N and 09 40' E. I am using a
110cm
Triax Dish with a quad LNB chosen for best results on my SatLink
meter
(strength and S/N), not lowest noise factor!

When Astra 2D was still aoround things were fairly good regarding
the UK
spot beam. Since the change to Astra 2E, F or G - I have lost track
which is used, the UK spotbeam seems to be considerably tighter.

In general Free to Air channels are on 2E and 2F, Pay to View
channels are on
2G.
For specific allocations see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...annels_at_28E
--

This one shows some interesting data on which bird covers which
(non-BBC) channels on which footprints.

http://www.marinesatellitesystems.co...p?page_id=1113

Old October 8th 17, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ulrich Onken[_3_]

Footprints for Astra 2F, 2E and 2G with a better resolution are
available at these links:

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=7491
http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=7493
http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=7496

Actual dish sizes that are sufficient to receive the UK spotbeam of
Astra 2E at 28E are indicated on this map:

http://www.constantinmedia.com/sat/D...-spotbeam.html

Some experimental and extrapolated field strength contours are shown on
this map:

https://maps.google.no/maps/ms?msid=...36,19.75341 8

.... notably with a no-signal zone that extends from Molde (West Norway)
over Leipzig to Venice.

Regards,
Uli

Old October 8th 17, 05:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/10/2017 09:48, Eddie King wrote:
Am 07.10.2017 um 16:29 schrieb Bill Wright:
Does anyone have a source for up to date info about this? I know
things have changed in recent years.

Bill

Bill not a source, but personal experience which might help.

Yes, and thank you for that. Very interesting and helpful.