Flight

Old October 8th 17, 07:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default Flight

It's nearly dusk. It's been a very still day, and it's very quiet now.
The turbines stand idle. The hens have gone to bed. I'm up the ladder
painting the barge boards. Dozens of ladybirds land on the wet white
gloss and get stuck. Red with small black spots, red with medium black
spots, red with black spots so big the red is almost completely
obscured, black with red spots. They struggle, lifting their feet one at
a time. Some of them unfurl their wings in a brief, doomed attempt to
escape. A few somehow roll onto their backs, where they lay, frantically
waggling their legs. Immediately overhead a Belfast to Amsterdam flight
leaves a contrail. The fluffy bright red line goes all the way across
the sky, from horizon to horizon. My ankles are hurting. It's time for a
G & T and a ham sandwich, I think.

Old October 8th 17, 08:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
newshound[_3_]

On 08/10/2017 19:57, Bill Wright wrote:
It's nearly dusk. It's been a very still day, and it's very quiet now.
The turbines stand idle. The hens have gone to bed. I'm up the ladder
painting the barge boards. Dozens of ladybirds land on the wet white
gloss and get stuck. Red with small black spots, red with medium black
spots, red with black spots so big the red is almost completely
obscured, black with red spots. They struggle, lifting their feet one at
a time. Some of them unfurl their wings in a brief, doomed attempt to
escape. A few somehow roll onto their backs, where they lay, frantically
waggling their legs. Immediately overhead a Belfast to Amsterdam flight
leaves a contrail. The fluffy bright red line goes all the way across
the sky, from horizon to horizon. My ankles are hurting. It's time for a
G & T and a ham sandwich, I think.

Bill

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.
Old October 8th 17, 10:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_2_]

On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

Old October 9th 17, 03:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 22:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

I blame Blair and Brown

Old October 9th 17, 07:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
PeterC

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

I opened the front door that was in full sunshine and a swarm of them flew
in. Some immediately; some coming from 2 - 3 yards away.
They're a nuisance as they are on the floor and I have to be creful to avoid
them.
I wonder if this is somehow related to their perceived severity of the
coming Winter.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old October 9th 17, 09:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rod Speed

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

I opened the front door that was in full sunshine and a swarm of them flew
in. Some immediately; some coming from 2 - 3 yards away.
They're a nuisance as they are on the floor and I have to be creful to
avoid
them.

I wonder if this is somehow related to their
perceived severity of the coming Winter.

Bet there is no severity of the coming winter.

Old October 9th 17, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
newshound[_3_]

On 09/10/2017 03:05, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/10/2017 22:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

I blame Blair and Brown

Bill

I remember a short period a few decades ago (certainly before B&B) when
there were widespread heavy swarms. You could literally shovel them up
from the ground in places, and they were biting people.
Old October 9th 17, 04:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 11:04:15 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 07:25:59 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

I opened the front door that was in full sunshine and a swarm of them flew
in. Some immediately; some coming from 2 - 3 yards away.
They're a nuisance as they are on the floor and I have to be creful to avoid
them.
I wonder if this is somehow related to their perceived severity of the
coming Winter.

How could they perceive that from a long period of mild wet weather?

They're pessimists.

I visited Yosemite National Park in early spring, when there were still patches
of snow in places. From a distance a large patch of snow appeared to have a
large blood stain on it. It turned out to be millions of ladybirds.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old October 9th 17, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_12_]

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 03:05:58 +0100, Bill Wright
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 08/10/2017 22:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

I blame Blair and Brown

Bill

I blame Lyndon B. Johnson.
--