Time to regain cost of replacing plasma TV

Old October 14th 17, 04:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

Default Time to regain cost of replacing plasma TV

I started a Google search but didn't get a final answer.

Suggestions are about 10p per day extra if it uses an extra kilowatt.
Depending on how long it is on per day. £36.50 a year, then.

If it comes out at around £55 per year extra over a new LCD TV and a 42"
TV WITH EQUIVALENT PICTURE QUALITY!! would cost around £550 then it
would take 10 years to get the cost back.

Given that the Panasonic still has awesome picture quality, HD from
FreeView and FreeSat, and also mainly acts as a display for the Virgin
Tivo then I'm wondering if I will ever be able to justify replacing it.

Extra power consumption does, of course, also act as a panel radiator to
warm the room throughout the winter so it is not completely thrown away.

I might fancy a 55" 4k TV to give a bit more real estate on the wall but I
can't see a financial justification and I also can't really justify
throwing away a perfectly good 42" TV.

Wait for it to fail?

I have an even older almost HD TV (SD + 0.5 or similar, really weird) with
an SD tuner in the bedroom (very early plasma) but that rocks along with
the Humax FreeSat box.

Looks like I will have to spend my money on more sensible stuff or just
save it.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old October 14th 17, 06:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Just as long as none of your neighbours are short wave listeners or ham
radio operators as some of those displays chuck out really high levels of
crap over the spectrum.

Old October 15th 17, 09:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

WITH EQUIVALENT PICTURE QUALITY!!

Isn't that the big question?

I'm on my third plasma now. You mentioned £500. My first one cost £5,000 and we fed it with VGA using a gizmo cobbled together by a pal working in the T&D department of the Beeb at Tadworth.

My current 42" is probably seven years old now. I was wondering if the picture was deteriorating until I was testing my new Firestick and I picked a few high resolution HDTV clips on YouTube. I had forgotten just how good the Panny plasma really is.

These are the clips you see running as demos in places like Peter Jones. It is rare to see anything comparable from BBC these days though I have to admit ITV sometimes is almost as good. The more you can cut bandwidth the more you can feed for the same money.....Even my hired Blue Ray DVDs are rarely look as sharp as what I was seeing on YouTube yesterday.

My advice. Keep the plasma unless you 'need' a bigger tele. Treat yourself to an Amazon Firestick and watch was is available online at higher definition. If paying around £35 for the "stick" sticks in your throat wait a few weeks. Amazon are launching a new one on the 25th so there will be some good deals on the current one.

Second bit of advice. Feed the sound into a modest AV unit where you can get the Dolby decoded and pick up the center channel. A lot of movies are almost unwatchable on a plasma with the standard speakers picking up the left and right sound feeds - the speech has been recorded on the center channel and a bog standard plasma does not pick it up. My cheapo AV unit feeds to an even cheaper mini cube speaker that sits under the plasma and now we actually hear the dialogue and not the sound effects.

Do those two things and your viewing will be revived - and your pocket a bit less empty.

Happy days.

Tony
Old October 15th 17, 09:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
UnsteadyKen[_2_]

In article ,
says...
It is rare to see anything comparable from BBC these days

The BBC 4K HDR demo available on iPlayer is quite superb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range

--
Ken
Old October 15th 17, 11:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

to see anything comparable from BBC these days

The BBC 4K HDR demo available on iPlayer is quite superb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range

--
Ken

Precisely. What a shame that they don't follow the same standard on satellite or freeview - but think of how much of our licence fee they save by cramming in more channels to the same bandwidth.

Tony

Old October 15th 17, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 09:28:30 UTC+1, Ken O'Meara wrote:
In article ,
says...
It is rare to see anything comparable from BBC these days

The BBC 4K HDR demo available on iPlayer is quite superb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range

--
Ken

Link to actual demo is dead.
Old October 15th 17, 01:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 14 October 2017 16:51:30 UTC+1, David wrote:
I started a Google search but didn't get a final answer.

Suggestions are about 10p per day extra if it uses an extra kilowatt.
Depending on how long it is on per day. £36.50 a year, then.

Plasma TV, probably near 250W for 42", LED 50- 70W, so five hours a day would use an extra kWhr at 13p, so nearer £50pa.

If it comes out at around £55 per year extra over a new LCD TV and a 42"
TV WITH EQUIVALENT PICTURE QUALITY!! would cost around £550 then it
would take 10 years to get the cost back.

Richer Sounds have two 42" 4k HDR TV's at £399 which have Freeview HD and very probably DVB-S2 (HD satellite) tuners (you need to check the manufacturers' German sites).

Given that the Panasonic still has awesome picture quality, HD from
FreeView and FreeSat, and also mainly acts as a display for the Virgin
Tivo then I'm wondering if I will ever be able to justify replacing it.

Extra power consumption does, of course, also act as a panel radiator to
warm the room throughout the winter so it is not completely thrown away.

I might fancy a 55" 4k TV to give a bit more real estate on the wall but I
can't see a financial justification and I also can't really justify
throwing away a perfectly good 42" TV.

Wait for it to fail?

Plasma's degrade to around 50% brightness after ten years.

I would tend to wait for a bargain and then swap it for the bedroom TV.

I have an even older almost HD TV (SD + 0.5 or similar, really weird) with
an SD tuner in the bedroom (very early plasma) but that rocks along with
the Humax FreeSat box.

Looks like I will have to spend my money on more sensible stuff or just
save it.

Cheers

Dave R

AMD A8-7600 running W10pro (64-bit)

Old October 15th 17, 03:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 05:16:26 -0700, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[...]

Hmmm....at £50 p.a. it would take 8 years to get my money back.
Not that money is the only consideration, but given that the display seems
to meet my undemanding needs and that I don't have any local 4k sources
and I don't use online sources that much (although my partner does more
than me) I don't see a persuasive business case at the moment.

The upgrade from SD to HD seemed worth buying new kit (although I was
replacing CRT TVs mainly) but I am not convinced I would see a big
difference going to 4k at the moment. Going from a 28" CRT to a 48" plasma
was a big upgrade!

I can see that going from 42" to somewhere between 48" and 52" would be an
upgrade in the viewing stakes but apart from that replacing a plasma
screen with a new one doesn't seem to be giving me "bangs per buck". The
price differential between 42" and 52" 4k TVs also buggers up the cost
saving calculations.

When 8k takes off and 4k sets are being remaindered then I might be
tempted. Say £399 for a 52" 4k set. Mount it on the wall (the ancient
plasma doesn't have mounting holes in the back) or more likely put the new
set in the lounge/cinema and move the Panny up to the bedroom and wall
mount.

Whatever, I am in much the same place as I am with PCs.
Something 5 years old still performs as well as something new for my
modest needs.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. Whatever happened to 3D TV? Not that I was that keen as I tend to
throw up as soon as the signal to my optic nerve disagrees violently with
the information coming in from my semicircular canals.

---

Old October 15th 17, 05:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
UnsteadyKen[_2_]

In article ,
says...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range

--
Ken

Link to actual demo is dead.

The option to view it is buried in the menus of the iPlayer on my LG TV.
I came across it by chance and was blown away. The TV must sense it is
an HDR signal and auto switches to the HDR picture mode.

--
Ken
Old October 15th 17, 06:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Whatever happened to 3D TV?

My Pany has it. We used it twice.

It's a bit like 3d in the cinema. Pick whether you want a dim 3d picture or a nice bright 2d one.

We avoid the 3d.

Tony