FM stereo tuners - Xpost (OTish)

Old October 14th 17, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
David[_14_]

Default FM stereo tuners - Xpost (OTish)

Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old October 14th 17, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
charles[_2_]

In article , David
wrote:
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet
(e.g. iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

As I found earlier this week, the router goes down.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old October 14th 17, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
newshound[_3_]

On 14/10/2017 19:10, charles wrote:
In article , David
wrote:
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet
(e.g. iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

As I found earlier this week, the router goes down.

Only for a few more years? Norway has already gone DAB.

I still use a superb Sony which I bought in the early 70's.
Old October 14th 17, 07:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Max Demian

On 14/10/2017 19:07, David wrote:

Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

It does what is does. Receives FM radio, providing you have an aerial up
to the job. Freeview requires a proper TV aerial and usually a TV set,
though there used to be Freeview "set top" boxes with audio output which
could be connected to an audio system. DAB is OK, if you have a DAB
radio and good enough reception. Who needs 100s of Internet radio stations?

And there's a place for stand alone FM transistor radios, such as
bedroom, kitchen or workshop/garage.

--
Max Demian
Old October 14th 17, 07:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Me

On 10/14/2017 7:07 PM, David wrote:
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

Cheers

Dave R

No contest really, Keep it and use it! It was designed to do one job
and do it very well. The sound quality from even a middling FM tuner
will knock spots off Freeview, internet etc.
As for the aerial, depending on your location you could get away with an
indoor type (not rabbits ears!!), I do and the sound quality is excellent.
Old October 14th 17, 07:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Woody[_5_]

"David" wrote in message
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I
don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since
the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet
(e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from
in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal
or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

NAD made and still make very good kit. I use one of their integrated
amps as a pre-amp (external links) to drive a Rotel power amp which is
in fact dual mono bar the mains transformer.

If you want to listen to the radio you will be hard pushed to find a
tuner much better than the NAD.

On the other side I will be more than happy to take it off your
hands - especially if you have any other NAD kit to go with it.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old October 14th 17, 08:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On 14 Oct 2017 18:07:43 GMT, David wrote:

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

I think you've answered your own question in that first paragraph. FM
can give very good quality, and the reliability of the internet can
vary depending on where you live, but if you haven't been using
something for a long time, I'd argue that you don't really need it.

FWIW, I considered exactly the same question a year or two back. I had
a very nice FM/DAB tuner, but realised I simply wasn't using it, so
there was no reason to keep it. All my radio listening and nearly all
my TV viewing is via the internet, the reliability of which has been
absolutely fine. My bedside radio is normally used on internet radio,
but it can also receive FM and DAB, so if the internet became
unavailable for some time and I absolutely had to have something to
listen to, there would be a way, so I'm not worried.

Old October 14th 17, 08:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
David[_14_]

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 19:52:05 +0100, Woody wrote:

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Most of my kit is Marantz. :-)

Just looked and NAD tuners seem to be very reasonably priced on eBay.

Can't remember the model number at the moment.

If I want to listen to radio at the moment I tend to stream it to my PC
and then out to my amp. I was using a Cambridge Audio 100 USB DAC but this
has just died, and at the moment I am using digital out from my sound card
into the DAC on my Marantz PM6005. I'm not convinced that the sound is as
good as the Cambridge Audio set up but it is far superior to the analogue
out from the sound card.

I am considering if it is worthwhile trying to fix up an aerial and
plumbing the tuner into (one of) my stereo stack(s) or if my current
options are "adequate".

Will let you know if I decide to dispose of it.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old October 14th 17, 08:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker[_4_]

On 14/10/2017 19:39, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

If and when FM is turned off, the big losses will be for drivers whose
cars aren't fitted with DAB (and a replacement may well not look at all
right in the dash) and stand-alone radios (that are perfect for DIY
work, 'cos they'll work for months on one set of batteries.

SteveW
Old October 14th 17, 08:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Ian Field

"David" wrote in message
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.

Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't
even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the
1970s.

If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g.
iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.

So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a
car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a
TV signal?

Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?

They usually have a pretty useful RF JFET in the FM front end, one with
manually tuned AM bands will have a nice multi section tuning capacitor -
that and the JFET are a good start on a DIY GDO.