Aerial amplifier interference question

Old October 15th 17, 05:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
sintv[_2_]

Default Aerial amplifier interference question

Ive had 2 recent customers complaining that their Freeview reception had gone. One had a loft amp and the other had a masthead amp in the loft, with both aerials in the loft. Initially I changed amps and PSUs but this made no difference. Luckily the signal was high so I put in a splitter. This cured both problems. I suppose some kind of interference (4G?) is responsible but if anyone has definitive answer, that would be appreciated. Customers stayed about 2 mls from each other.
Old October 15th 17, 05:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 15/10/2017 17:47, sintv wrote:
Ive had 2 recent customers complaining that their Freeview reception had gone. One had a loft amp and the other had a masthead amp in the loft, with both aerials in the loft. Initially I changed amps and PSUs but this made no difference. Luckily the signal was high so I put in a splitter. This cured both problems. I suppose some kind of interference (4G?) is responsible but if anyone has definitive answer, that would be appreciated. Customers stayed about 2 mls from each other.

What could you see on your spectrum analyser ? Any large 4G carrier just
above the current TV band would have been very visible ?

--
Mark
Old October 15th 17, 06:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 15/10/2017 17:47, sintv wrote:
Ive had 2 recent customers complaining that their Freeview reception had gone. One had a loft amp and the other had a masthead amp in the loft, with both aerials in the loft. Initially I changed amps and PSUs but this made no difference. Luckily the signal was high so I put in a splitter. This cured both problems. I suppose some kind of interference (4G?) is responsible but if anyone has definitive answer, that would be appreciated. Customers stayed about 2 mls from each other.

What does the analyser show?

Leaving aside the obvious, which is 4G, what was the gain of the
amplifiers? Was it perhaps excessive?

Old October 15th 17, 07:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
sintv[_2_]

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 18:57:13 UTC+1, wrote:
On 15/10/2017 17:47, sintv wrote:
Ive had 2 recent customers complaining that their Freeview reception had gone. One had a loft amp and the other had a masthead amp in the loft, with both aerials in the loft. Initially I changed amps and PSUs but this made no difference. Luckily the signal was high so I put in a splitter. This cured both problems. I suppose some kind of interference (4G?) is responsible but if anyone has definitive answer, that would be appreciated. Customers stayed about 2 mls from each other.

What does the analyser show?

Leaving aside the obvious, which is 4G, what was the gain of the
amplifiers? Was it perhaps excessive?

Bill

Sorry but I didnt have my analyser. The amps had been working for years. Mebbe if I have another job with same symptoms, I'll try an attenuator on the aerial.
Old October 15th 17, 09:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 15/10/2017 19:55, sintv wrote:
[...]

But what was the gain of the amps? Did you try a 4G filter before the amps?

You forgetting your analyser reminds me of my friend the road roller
driver, who went to work the other day and then realised he'd left his
roller at home.

Old October 15th 17, 09:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 21:00:35 UTC+1, wrote:
You forgetting your analyser reminds me of my friend the road roller
driver, who went to work the other day and then realised he'd left his
roller at home.

I know lots of tradespeople get to take the works van home in the evening, but a road roller doesn't sound particularly convenient for popping in to Tesco.

Owain

Old October 15th 17, 09:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 21:41:10 UTC+1, sintv wrote:
I'll get me coat

Does it have a CAI logo on it?

Owain

Old October 16th 17, 03:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 15/10/2017 21:41, sintv wrote:
[...]

Oh I'm sorry! I was being beastly!