Copying files from Humax PVR

Old October 16th 17, 10:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

Default Copying files from Humax PVR

The PVR is a Humax PVR Fox T2 and there are a number of programmes on it
that I wish to keep for posterity.

I tried to copy them to a Seagate USB drive but whilst it 'saw' the drive
it would not write the files to it as the format was 'not compatible'.

The drive is Seagate is NTFS format and readable/writable through Windows
and Linux OSs so what format do I need, please, to copy files to and from
PVR?

I had wondered about formatting the USB drive as FAT but not sure if that
would work either??
Old October 16th 17, 11:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Bob" wrote in message
o.uk...
The PVR is a Humax PVR Fox T2 and there are a number of programmes on it
that I wish to keep for posterity.

I tried to copy them to a Seagate USB drive but whilst it 'saw' the drive
it would not write the files to it as the format was 'not compatible'.

The drive is Seagate is NTFS format and readable/writable through Windows
and Linux OSs so what format do I need, please, to copy files to and from
PVR?

I had wondered about formatting the USB drive as FAT but not sure if that
would work either??

The files are encrypted unless you had installed software to stop recordings
being encrypted. The only thing you can do if encrypted is to play them via
the SCART to another recorder, but they will not be in HD. The Humax drive
is in Linux format, not NTFS.
--
Dave W

Old October 16th 17, 11:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Surely though, nowadays somebody must have made a decoder for such files. In
my view this protectionism for the sake of it seems counter productive.
there has to be lots of people who lose valuable content due to the box
going bang and they cannot even copy it and view it on a different make of
box.

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

o.uk...

Old October 16th 17, 12:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

OK so I had a play with a 1gb usb thumbdrive I had lying around which is
FAT formatted.

I copied one of the programmes (Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells if you're
interested g) to the thumbdrive via the usb port on the Humax.

I checked it played back ok via the PVR, it did.

Next I tried it via my Linux PC. It showed 4 files and one of them
successfully plays back both video and audio tracks.

Thanks for the hints - now I'm happy!

Note that no additional decoders/software was downloaded at any time.
Maybe the old Humax PVR did not encrypt?

Someone with a more up to date one than mine may wish to try and see what
happens.

Top posted as I understand Brian Gaff uses a screen reader.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 11:55:13 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Surely though, nowadays somebody must have made a decoder for such
files. In my view this protectionism for the sake of it seems counter
productive.
there has to be lots of people who lose valuable content due to the box
going bang and they cannot even copy it and view it on a different make
of box.

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

o.uk...

Old October 16th 17, 01:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

You need a recording material - USB stick or HDD - formatted in FAT32.

The machine will decode the encryption in the process of exporting it
to your external media so it will play back via any suitable system
including a TV with USB input.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old October 16th 17, 01:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:15:47 +0100, Woody
wrote:

You need a recording material - USB stick or HDD - formatted in FAT32.

The machine will decode the encryption in the process of exporting it
to your external media so it will play back via any suitable system
including a TV with USB input.

It is worth bearing in mind that a 4GB file is the largest that can be
transferred this way, so it fails for some HD movies.

But of course, HD is not unencrypted by this method anyway so I guess
that is moot. :-)

A better solution is to install the customised software and add the
utility that un-encrypts HD files and the one that makes larger USB
drives writeable.

Also, you can shrink files by up to 20% using the utility that removes
the freeview information.
Old October 16th 17, 02:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

wrote:

You need a recording material - USB stick or HDD - formatted in FAT32.

The machine will decode the encryption in the process of exporting it
to your external media so it will play back via any suitable system
including a TV with USB input.

It is worth bearing in mind that a 4GB file is the largest that can be
transferred this way, so it fails for some HD movies.

But of course, HD is not unencrypted by this method anyway so I guess
that is moot. :-)

A better solution is to install the customised software and add the
utility that un-encrypts HD files and the one that makes larger USB
drives writeable.

Also, you can shrink files by up to 20% using the utility that removes
the freeview information.

Thanks both of you.

Yellow: What is the customised software and utility which makes larger USB
drives writable please?
Old October 16th 17, 04:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

You get the custom software here -

https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Overview

And you can then add the features you fancy. The disk drive one is
called "ntfs-3g".

You can also control the speed of the fan, automatically rename and move
about files and set up recordings. All sorts of stuff.

I have been running the software on my Humax for years and it is
fabulous, so ask if you need help. Also, the site has excellent help
forums on Humax machines as well as this software.
Old October 16th 17, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 16:04:31 +0100, Yellow wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 08:02:55 -0500, Bob wrote:

Yellow: What is the customised software and utility which makes larger
USB drives writable please?

You get the custom software here -

https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Overview

Thank you - saved and to be considered!