Completely OT but you're knowledgeable - car toll stickers / black dots

Old October 16th 17, 12:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
larkim

Default Completely OT but you're knowledgeable - car toll stickers / black dots

The last few cars I've owned have had the dotted area around the rear view mirror, and the handbooks have said that this is specially designed for toll tags etc.

I've now got a toll tag, and duly stuck it in that place.

But what is special about those dots and why do toll tags have to go there?

Do they "power" the RFID chips in any special way, or is it just about shielding the tags from something (UV deteriorating the adhesive for example?)
Old October 16th 17, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MR

On Monday, 16 October 2017 12:36:10 UTC+1, larkim wrote:
The last few cars I've owned have had the dotted area around the rear view mirror, and the handbooks have said that this is specially designed for toll tags etc.

I've now got a toll tag, and duly stuck it in that place.

But what is special about those dots and why do toll tags have to go there?

Do they "power" the RFID chips in any special way, or is it just about shielding the tags from something (UV deteriorating the adhesive for example?)

AIUI the dotted areas are meant to shield the sun where the sun-visors can't reach. They are suggested as a place for the toll tag (I have a French motorway one) as it's convenient and high up and more likely to be detected. They are also a good place to hide the sticky tag some dashcams require.

MR
Old October 16th 17, 01:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"MR" wrote in message
On Monday, 16 October 2017 12:36:10 UTC+1, larkim wrote:
The last few cars I've owned have had the dotted area around the
rear view mirror, and the handbooks have said that this is specially
designed for toll tags etc.

I've now got a toll tag, and duly stuck it in that place.

But what is special about those dots and why do toll tags have to go
there?

Do they "power" the RFID chips in any special way, or is it just
about shielding the tags from something (UV deteriorating the
adhesive for example?)

AIUI the dotted areas are meant to shield the sun where the sun-visors
can't reach. They are suggested as a place for the toll tag (I have a
French motorway one) as it's convenient and high up and more likely to
be detected. They are also a good place to hide the sticky tag some
dashcams require.

Some vehicles - Renault of note - have a heat-reflective windscreen,
you can spot them by the purple(ish) reflection of a vehicle
approaching you. As the coating is metallic it is a very effective
radio signal block - just forget your GPS - and it may be that the
dotted area does not have the coating so making it usable for radio
reception.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old October 18th 17, 08:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kevin H

On Monday, 16 October 2017 12:36:10 UTC+1, larkim wrote:
The last few cars I've owned have had the dotted area around the rear view mirror, and the handbooks have said that this is specially designed for toll tags etc.

I've now got a toll tag, and duly stuck it in that place.

But what is special about those dots and why do toll tags have to go there?

Do they "power" the RFID chips in any special way, or is it just about shielding the tags from something (UV deteriorating the adhesive for example?)

I've got a Kuga and have used a toll tag in France this year with it located in the dotted area of th windscreen either side of the rear view mirror mount. This area does not have the heated screen elements which could otherwise block/interfere with tag which needs to be powered up by the RFID signal.
Old October 18th 17, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Kevin H wrote:

I've got a Kuga and have used a toll tag in France

Is that a Sanef/Liber-T tag?

this year with it located in the dotted area of th windscreen either
side of the rear view mirror mount. This area does not have the
heated screen elements which could otherwise block/interfere with tag
which needs to be powered up by the RFID signal.

This type of tag is powered by an internal battery, not by the RFID
reader like a contactless bank card is.

Old October 18th 17, 09:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 16/10/2017 12:36, larkim wrote:
The last few cars I've owned have had the dotted area around the rear view mirror, and the handbooks have said that this is specially designed for toll tags etc.

I've now got a toll tag, and duly stuck it in that place.

But what is special about those dots and why do toll tags have to go there?

Do they "power" the RFID chips in any special way, or is it just about shielding the tags from something (UV deteriorating the adhesive for example?)

My Prius (as previous models) has this dotted area. I understand it is
to cover the area the visors don't reach. Certainly no suction device
will stick to it!
Old October 18th 17, 09:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kevin H

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 08:42:52 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Kevin H wrote:

I've got a Kuga and have used a toll tag in France

Is that a Sanef/Liber-T tag?

Yes

This type of tag is powered by an internal battery, not by the RFID
reader like a contactless bank card is.

I stand corrected :-) however the tag still needs to respond to the overhead sensors
Old October 18th 17, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 16/10/2017 12:36, larkim wrote:
The last few cars I've owned have had the dotted area around the rear view mirror, and the handbooks have said that this is specially designed for toll tags etc.

I've now got a toll tag, and duly stuck it in that place.

But what is special about those dots and why do toll tags have to go there?

Do they "power" the RFID chips in any special way, or is it just about shielding the tags from something (UV deteriorating the adhesive for example?)

I thought those black dots were primarily visual - to soften the
otherwise stark transition from clear glass to the edge of the
windscreen (or if it's visible the black stuff on the edge which helps
make the seal). I've seen the same sort of dots on side windows on
buses and trains.

--
Robin
Old October 18th 17, 11:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Robin wrote:

I thought those black dots were primarily visual - to soften the
otherwise stark transition from clear glass to the edge of the
windscreen (or if it's visible the black stuff on the edge which helps
make the seal). I've seen the same sort of dots on side windows on
buses and trains.

Indeed so.

Chris
--