Samsung's invisible "One Connect" box

Old October 19th 17, 06:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Samsung's invisible "One Connect" box

I was in John Lewis today, admiring the picture on a Samsung 75" QLED
curved TV (QE75Q8CAMT - yours for just over 5 grand!). What interested
me was just how thin it was - less than 15mm all round. It was
completely smooth on the back, save for the stand fixing. There were
only two leads, carefully exiting down from the stand support - a thin,
flat cable (mains) and a 3 mm diameter cable. Nothing else. Both cables
disappeared into the cabinet beneath (which was closed). Reading the
waffle on the front, it seems that's all this TV needs - a mains cable
and this other cable, which was an optical connection. There were a
couple of other similar, but smaller TVs (55 and 65") on display, but
not showing a picture. I think they also had the two leads the larger
set had, but, once again, they disappeared into a closed box below.
Unfortunately there wasn't a sales assistant free who I could ask where
the cables went, or how you connected up other AV equipment.

When I got back I spent over an hour trying to find out where the cables
went. Neither JL's website, Richer Sounds, Curry's, etc, mentioned or
showed explicitly how you connect other devices to the TV. I even
downloaded the manual from Samsung's website to see how it was
connected, without any clarification. Eventually I came across the "One
Connect" box mentioned in a Trusted Review page reviewing another QLED TV:
"The QE55Q8C’s connections are all carried on an external ‘One Connect’
box, and comprise four HDMIs, three USBs, Bluetooth support, and both
Wi-Fi and Ethernet network options."

So you need an external box to use AV equipment with this TV. None of
the retailers mention this, or show the box. When showing the dimensions
of the TV, all just show those of the TV itself. I finally found a
picture (of a box in the UK) at
https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-tv-wall-mount-one-connect-box-where-to-put-it.2103479/
but whether this is for a different TV I have no idea.

Isn't this all a bit disingenuous? Sure, you can get away without leads
to the TV other than a couple of very small ones, but the usual
collection will still be required to the One Connect box. And just why
are the boxes being hidden away at John Lewis (and no doubt other
retailers), and not being mentioned on usually informative websites?

--

Jeff
Old October 19th 17, 06:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Jeff Layman wrote:

I was in John Lewis today, admiring the picture on a Samsung 75" QLED
curved TV

So it's a bit like the LG "Wallpaper TV" that has a hidden ribbon cable
from the screen to the speaker bar, and all the power/aerial/hdmi
connections go into the speaker bar?

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-oled77w7p/preview/
Old October 19th 17, 06:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 19/10/17 18:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

I was in John Lewis today, admiring the picture on a Samsung 75" QLED
curved TV

So it's a bit like the LG "Wallpaper TV" that has a hidden ribbon cable
from the screen to the speaker bar, and all the power/aerial/hdmi
connections go into the speaker bar?

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-oled77w7p/preview/

Sure looks like it. I guess that's where all the manufacturers will be
heading. All, no doubt, with their own proprietary methods of connection.

But maybe another Monster opportunity for Ross on the horizon... ;-)

--

Jeff
Old October 19th 17, 07:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 19/10/17 18:58, Jeff Layman wrote:

But maybe another Monster opportunity for Ross on the horizon... ;-)

Russ...

--

Jeff
Old October 19th 17, 07:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I'd have expected for the price that this box was in fact everything except
the screen, ie the tv and all the other stuff. I'd like to think that you
also had half decent speakers with it for that price tag as well. I think
rather than deliberate misleading, they hid it from little fingers in shops,
again though I doubt if anyone except the people at the sharp end or in this
case the samsung end, understand the tech they had on display.

news

Old October 19th 17, 08:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 18:28:59 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Yes it is definitely a feature - one optical connection on Samsung's web site. Weirdly even the manual when downloaded does not mention a box or show it!
Old October 19th 17, 09:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 19/10/2017 18:28, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

John Lewis's website for that TV includes[1]:

"One Connect Box: Easy access to all of your connections. Say goodbye to
messy wires and the clutter caused by multiple devices. Hide the box
from view, connect all your devices and inputs then control them via
Bluetooth even when they're out of your direct line of sight. "

And if the box ain't included it's odd they also tell people you get:

"Twin Tuners & Live TV Functionality: Take control of how you watch TV
with Samsung's Pause, re-wind or record live TV functionality and
twin-tuners. (Additional purchase necessary for memory device required)."

I think that in context that is a pretty clear indication that you get
it with the screen for their advertised price. If not, the buyer has
what seems to me a clear case against the seller.

[1]
https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-qe...ified/p3177232

--
Robin
Old October 19th 17, 09:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 19/10/17 20:28, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Yes, I mentioned that in my OP. I just went to the US website, and
that's far more helpful. Quite a few downloads att
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/search/?searchTerm=qn75q8camfxza&page=1&sort=relevance
though one is the same as the UK user manual and is most uninformative.
I guess the "Cable Connections - 2017 Samsung Televisions (Q8C)" is
what's needed, but it's a video and I can't be bothered to download it.

--

Jeff
Old October 19th 17, 10:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 19/10/17 21:49, Robin wrote:
[...]

Well, it wasn't my intention to infer that the One Connect box wasn't
being supplied as part of the price, and I don't think I said that. It
was simply to point out that it was apparently hidden from view, and not
mentioned explicitly on websites. I take your point about it actually
being on the JL website, but until I looked at the TrustedReviews
website I didn't know what it was called. And I'd hardly call it an
"Other feature" - it's an essential component of the TV.

--

Jeff
Old October 20th 17, 12:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 19/10/2017 21:51, Jeff Layman wrote:

I guess the "Cable Connections - 2017 Samsung Televisions (Q8C)" is
what's needed, but it's a video and I can't be bothered to download it.

Have you got one of those old computers that you have to pedal?