Digital/Analogue Connections

Old October 22nd 17, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

Default Digital/Analogue Connections

My Panasonic DMR-EX85 is broken, half a dozen or so blown caps.

Looking at replacements but many now have co-axial or optical digital
audio outputs (one has HDMI audio only).

I have a Cambridge Azur 650A amp which suits me fine but analogue input
only. Are digital to analogue converters any good (10-20 on Amazon) or
is it time for an amp change? If i have to update my amp am I likely to
find one with half a dozen analogue AND digital inputs without a mortgage?

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
Old October 22nd 17, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 22/10/2017 12:34, Jeff Gaines wrote:

My Panasonic DMR-EX85 is broken, half a dozen or so blown caps.

Looking at replacements but many now have co-axial or optical digital
audio outputs (one has HDMI audio only).

I have a Cambridge Azur 650A amp which suits me fine but analogue input
only. Are digital to analogue converters any good (£10-£20 on Amazon) or
is it time for an amp change? If i have to update my amp am I likely to
find one with half a dozen analogue AND digital inputs without a mortgage?

Um. What are you going to use it for? If video, you must have it hooked
up to a TV with HDMI, in which case perhaps the TV has a suitable line
output, or, failing that, a headphone output may provide a suitable
output for your amp.

--
Max Demian
Old October 22nd 17, 01:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

My Panasonic DMR-EX85 is broken, half a dozen or so blown caps.

Looking at replacements but many now have co-axial or optical
digital audio outputs (one has HDMI audio only).

I have a Cambridge Azur 650A amp which suits me fine but analogue
input only. Are digital to analogue converters any good (10-20 on
Amazon) or is it time for an amp change? If i have to update my amp
am I likely to find one with half a dozen analogue AND digital
inputs without a mortgage?

Many thanks.

Er, why not just replace the caps? They don't cost a fortune and are
readily available from the likes of CPC.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old October 22nd 17, 02:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 22 October 2017 12:34:28 UTC+1, Jeff Gaines wrote:
My Panasonic DMR-EX85 is broken, half a dozen or so blown caps.

Looking at replacements but many now have co-axial or optical digital
audio outputs (one has HDMI audio only).

I have a Cambridge Azur 650A amp which suits me fine but analogue input
only. Are digital to analogue converters any good (£10-£20 on Amazon) or
is it time for an amp change? If i have to update my amp am I likely to
find one with half a dozen analogue AND digital inputs without a mortgage?

Many thanks.

Sony STR DN860 used to be about £250 from Richer Sounds, but they don't seem to be selling now, just its big brother.

I bought predecessor STR DN800 in 2009 and it is still coping well.
Old October 22nd 17, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 22/10/2017 in message
Max Demian wrote:

Um. What are you going to use it for? If video, you must have it hooked up
to a TV with HDMI, in which case perhaps the TV has a suitable line
output, or, failing that, a headphone output may provide a suitable output
for your amp.

Thank you, hadn't thought of that. I have taken the TV line out to the amp
as you suggest and it sounds OK :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks
Old October 22nd 17, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 22/10/2017 in message Woody wrote:

Er, why not just replace the caps? They don't cost a fortune and are
readily available from the likes of CPC.

I have the common one on order from Farnell but there's lots of others :-(

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends
Old October 22nd 17, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 22/10/2017 in message Huge wrote:

It's a Panasonic DVR. Much better off seizing the opportunity to take
it into the garden and burn it. (Don't forget to put the video on Youtube.)

You wouldn't recommend getting another one then :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it
Old October 22nd 17, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 22/10/2017 in message
R. Mark Clayton
wrote:

Sony STR DN860 used to be about £250 from Richer Sounds, but they don't
seem to be selling now, just its big brother.

I bought predecessor STR DN800 in 2009 and it is still coping well.

Oh wow, I was looking at stereo amps instead of home cinema type stuff so
many thanks :-)

There is some really nice stuff out there but I am too old for a mortgage
now....

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those
Old October 22nd 17, 03:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Huge wrote:

It's a Panasonic DVR. Much better off seizing the opportunity to take
it into the garden and burn it. (Don't forget to put the video on Youtube.)

That's what I'm going to do when my PoS Panny DVR dies.

If you were a true Panasonic hater it would die *because* you'd taken it
out to the garden and burnt it (presumably with Samsung and Sony kit for
kindling) :-P

Old October 22nd 17, 03:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 22/10/2017 12:34, Jeff Gaines wrote:

My Panasonic DMR-EX85 is broken, half a dozen or so blown caps.

There is a lazy way to repair it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Supp...AOSwOyJX6X6 1
or http://tinyurl.com/yarl5ya5